Hello...hello. Is anyone there...there?

Businesses are being encouraged to get back to work now so not sure why Alamy isn't going up through the gears either through home working or getting back to the office. It would be good to be kept informed. 

If staff are furloughed they can't work, hence there will be limited employed staff to deal with everything.
Maximising sales and looking after paying customers must surely come before contributors.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mickfly said:

If staff are furloughed they can't work, hence there will be limited employed staff to deal with everything.
Maximising sales and looking after paying customers must surely come before contributors.

Agreed, but suppliers are also trying to keep their businesses going through this difficult time. I'd have thought that an internet company of all things should be well placed to bounce back if and when there was something to bounce for. 

I worry that the demand has fallen away and that is why staff are staying on furlough rather than working to maximise sales, look after paying customers, AND look after their suppliers. All of these are important aspects of the business and not mutually exclusive. 

Edited by geogphotos

8 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Mine certainly has. 90%.
The government can pay the staff, but it can't provide turnover.

That is precisely what worries me.

Non-Essential shops are opening on Monday. Even our health centre is going to re-open! 😁

I0000Aypx1awG8Aw.jpg

Edited by geogphotos

22 minutes ago, formerly snappyoncalifornia said:

It would seem to me that Alamy would be well able to keep everyone working from home. Is there anything anyone at Alamy does that requires anything more than a desk, a phone and a computer?

Er, a bank of HUGE hi-res monitors for QC.

Servers.

Office maintenance.

IT support.

Comms.

I'll stop there.

I tell you what it didn't take them long to respond when I sent in a list of almost a thousand images to be changed from 50% to 40% commission. 😊

Alamy might be capable, in a technical sense, of running from home but the continued furlough of staff may well have nothing to do with that and be about what has happened to the economy.  

There's also the complication that a new company have just spend £x million buying a business that has had its financials upturned with the future uncertain. 

I can understand how frustrating it must be for the OP to be sending images in and having to wait so long. I would like to know what is happening. 

I0000QultQqAxlSM.jpg

Edited by geogphotos

On 06/06/2020 at 06:21, geogphotos said:

Businesses are being encouraged to get back to work now so not sure why Alamy isn't going up through the gears either through home working or getting back to the office. It would be good to be kept informed. 

Could it be a consequence of out-sourcing various services to India where the Covid-19 disruption is significant?

Mark

3 minutes ago, M.Chapman said:

Could it be a consequence of out-sourcing various services to India where the Covid-19 disruption is significant?

Mark

Quite possibly - who knows. I don't see why we can't be told what the situation is - I'm still working day after day, sales aren't at all good - it would be useful to have an update on where we are and what the plans are. The situation obviously also has a big impact on us as suppliers. 

Edited by geogphotos

10 minutes ago, M.Chapman said:

Mark

Well we know QC is still in the UK. I assume the database stuff may be in India, and it's still happenning, although presumably the volume is way down.

Edited by spacecadet

On 12/06/2020 at 17:51, spacecadet said:

Well we know QC is still in the UK. I assume the database stuff may be in India, and it's still happenning, although presumably the volume is way down.

Image database looks to be in AWS (Amazon) based on IP search (c1.alamy.com)

Edited by Gnans

42 minutes ago, Gnans said:

Image database looks to be in AWS (Amazon) based on IP search (c1.alamy.com)

That's interesting. It might explain why we are not seeing re-ranks and other tweaks to the search engine - if they are leaving the search engine to Amazon now. 

Could you explain it a bit more about this for this of us who don't know much about the subject.

Edited by geogphotos

18 hours ago, geogphotos said:

Could you explain it a bit more about this for this of us who don't know much about the subject.

Apologies if I caused a confusion. My understanding is that the image is stored in AWS based on quick IP lookup.

The search engine and the referencing database i.e. metadata of the image could be held anywhere (AWS or non-AWS). I'm sure the search engine and the algorithm used is more close guarded secret.

On the ranking part - I suspect this could have not been done recently due to the growing image/contributor size 🤔

• 3 weeks later...

I would also welcome an update on the situation and how it has changed since 'shut-down' in March. On one hand Alamy are sending out tweets saying that this is the best time ever to be uploading images to sell. On the other hand the business is relying on government subsidy and is unable to offer a full service to its contributors, and quite possibly to its customers. 

The furlough scheme now allows for part-time work if it is available and businesses will soon need to wean themselves off reliance on so much government support.

An update would be much appreciated.

Edited by geogphotos

Are you at least getting the automatic response from emails? Make sure your computer is giving you "contributors@alamy.com". There is another address that they use in sending you emails and for a while my computer was using that one to email them and it doesn't  work.

Paulette