VOTING TIME for February 2020 challenge -- SUSTAINABILITY

VOTING TIME for February 2020 challenge -- SUSTAINABILITY  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Which image is the most sustainble?

• Sustainable cargo bike riders -- Sally (2AH78BN)
    • Sustainable non-plastic straws -- Michael Ventura (W20NHT)
    • Sustainable electricity-generating walkway -- Eden (KDE520)
    • Sustainable architecture -- Phil Crean (BJN5J8)
    • Sustainable gravity-powered railway -- John Richmond (PACT1F)
    • Sustainable lawnmower -- AlexH (BEPFB8)
    • Sustainable flower pot -- Marianne (B8A93R)
    • Sustainable garden car -- Jill Morgan (KD19FG)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/03/20 at 07:59

Thanks, everybody, for all your fine submissions. Picking eight finalists wasn't easy. To help narrow the field, I decided to select images mainly on the bases of relevance to the topic and originality. There are additional images that I would have liked to include for other reasons, but the line had to be drawn somewhere.

Voting ends on Saturday, March 7th at midnight AMT (Alamy Mean Time). Good luck to everyone, and may the most sustainable image win!

1. Sally's sustainable cargo bike riders

east-lothian-scotland-united-kingdom-26-

2. Michael Ventura's sustainable non-plastic straws

girl-drinking-from-non-plastic-biodegrad

3. Eden's sustainable walkway

berlin-germany-13th-october-2017-people-

4. Phil Crean's sustainable architecture

one-of-the-houses-at-the-newly-inaugurat

5. John Richmond's sustainable cliff railway

carriage-descending-on-the-1888-lynton-t

6. AlexH's sustainable lawnmower

cutting-grass-with-a-push-mower-BEPFB8.j

7. Marianne's sustainable flowerpot

save-the-earth-eco-friendly-energy-savin

8. Jill Morgan's sustainable garden car

the-garden-car-parked-on-augusta-street-

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, John Richmond said:

Thanks for setting the challenge and shortlisting me, John.  It made me realise I needed to add a few new keywords to some of my images that could illustrate the theme.

No problem. You've done a good job exposing the gravity of the situation. 😆

I too always tweak my keywords after these challenges. They're very valuable in that regard.

• Love 1

3 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

Thanks John, nice to make the shortlist!  Did not vote for my own, which was easy to do since others were better!

Your images always deserve the shortlist, Michael. I'm curious, where did you find all those colourful sustainable straws? The only non-plastic ones I've seen around here are a dirty brown shade, not very appealing

Edited by John Mitchell

2 hours ago, Marianne said:

Thanks for including one of mine. Great challenge. So many good choices, I think I've narrowed it down. It made me think of keywords I should be adding too. 

I like the simple, improvised look of your flower pot image. It fits in well with the spirit of sustainability.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

I like the simple, improvised look of your flower pot image. It fits in well with the spirit of sustainability.

Thanks so much John!  Made my day. It was my first $250+ sale here many years ago. I keep thinking that  I should do more still life, just need to find room in my house to set up my strobes, softbox, etc. - it's such a production. I shot that one at a friend's studio years ago. Wish I had room for a dedicated studio space myself. I keep thinking I should gather props for a bunch of different concepts, set everything up, and then shoot them all over the space of a week or so. 

19 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Your images always deserve the shortlist, Michael. I'm curious, where did you find all those colourful sustainable straws? The only non-plastic ones I've seen around here are a dirty brown shade, not very appealing

Thanks John! This photo was shot for a magazine article about this young girl who has been pushing local restaurants and fellow teens to abandon the plastic straws, in favor of these alternatives.  So, she had all the straws...I just showed up with lights and camera!!

16 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

You're welcome. Yours has lots of impact -- it shows that "sustainable" can also be colourful.

Although human made, I also think it represents how nature will claim everything back after we finally wipe ourselves out on this planet.

Jill

5 hours ago, Jill Morgan said:

Although human made, I also think it represents how nature will claim everything back after we finally wipe ourselves out on this planet.

Jill

With all the rain in Vancouver, my car can start to look like that fairly quickly. 😉

Just a reminder that there is still time to vote in this month's challenge. Poll closes tomorrow (Saturday the 7th) at 11:59 pm GMT.

So far, AlexH's image has been mowing down the competition. But is his lead sustainable?

The clock has run out, and we have a clear winner.

Congratulations, AlexH (wherever you are). Your sustainable lawnmower image (BEPFB8)  has won the February 2020 challenge. It's now up to you to come up with a topic for the March challenge. Best of luck and have fun!

If AlexH is unavailable for some reason, then hopefully the runner-up Jill Morgan will be open to creating the next challenge.

Edited by John Mitchell