The New Apple iPads . . . ?

Ed Rooney

Question

I have an iPad mini, the first edition. Can't do much on it. It doesn't seem to since up with my other Apple gear or be part of the iCloud sharing of data. I can play Virtual Pool on it and read an ebook. Not much else. Would the newer iPads let me upload images to Alamy? And what other photo uses would I get? I have Adobe CC.

Thanks, Edo

This might be worth checking out:

https://discussion.alamy.com/topic/12433-a-quick-guide-to-importing-images-directly-from-a-cameracard-into-lightroom-mobile/

I don't do it myself so can't comment, but Julie is a serious pro who does a lot of press work and she knows her stuff.

Phil

• Love 1
  • Like 1

Not sure about your model, Ed, but I’m typing this on my iPad as we speak. Not sure about the generation, but I got it very discounted with my iPhone 8. It’s not a mini.

What I do is surf the web, check my bank balances, read and post on the forum, do social media, read and send email and texts, (use phone for texts also) and best of all, once my photos have been uploaded and passed QC, I do the final things to ready them for sale, all on my iPad.
I tag (In Bridge) before uploading on my iMac, but sometimes add a few extra tags I forgot in AIM on my iPad.  I easily could tag completely after upload on my iPad but I don’t.

I have an office where my iMac resides on a desk. This is where I download my card, work in LR and PS, tag and upload. After that, I shut down the iMac, go to my easy chair and do everything else. I can multitask while doing this by watching the news on TV, or whatever.

Betty

btw, pictures I take with my phone shows up on the iPad, and I can upload to St***a**o on it. It’s iPad 5th generation, just checked.

Edited by Betty LaRue

Julie’s post is about using Lightroom Mobile in her workflow for news photography so ingesting images from a camera and doing some sorting, editing and adding metadata before moving the images into an app called Shuttersnitch for finalising metadata and uploading. For this it is ideal as the iPad is much lighter than a laptop. 

As for the iPad itself, things have moved a long way since the first one. With Lightroom Mobile (free with Adobe CC subscription) now updated, it is possible to process raw images and upload direct to Alamy for stock. I have a 2017 iPad Pro and it is very fast even with 45MP files so the newer ones are presumably even faster. I don’t actually use it for image processing as I like my desktop setup but it would certainly be possible to the extent that when my current MacBookPro dies then I will probably not replace it. But definitely get a pro model if using for photography. 

I am sure Edo’s buddies in the Liverpool Apple Store would be happy to demo one. 

Edited by MDM

Some other uses of the iPad:

I have found mine very useful in portrait sessions to show clients what I am getting to help with posing. Ingest images from an SD card, directly from a camera in the case of XQD cards or by WiFi (slower). It can be used for tethered shooting as well.

The builtin camera is very decent as well. 

As well as Lightroom there is now a version of Photoshop which can do some remarkable things. I just had a quick look at it and probably won’t be using it as such detailed editing will be on my desktop with big monitor but it is amazing what Adobe have done. 

Reading, definitely great for that as well as general internet. 

Edit: Another big plus now is that the latest version of iOS allows much easier copying and moving of files to and from the iPad with other devices rather than convoluted syncing as it used to through iTunes and so on. There is also a files app which makes it much easier to manage files. 

Edited by MDM

Wow, that sounds most impressive, Michael. 400 to 500 depending on what size and model. Very tempting. But I have two MacBooks and an iPhone 7. And John Lewis has some nice socks on a clearance sale. Hmm. I guess one could watch videos on these new iPads too.

Thanks, people.  

I think you maybe should be looking at the pro models if intending to use for photography as they are a lot faster than the ordinary ones but double the price approx. There is an 11” and 12.9”. Mine is an older 10.5” so equivalent to the 11”. I like the smaller size as it is really light and easily fits in my camera bag. I would not go for anything less than 256GB of storage if using for photography. It is worth having a good think about requirements before buying for sure. 

John Lewis is a good place to buy as you usually get an extra guarantee but the Apple Store would actually set it up for you. I have not used one of the new ones without the home button but I believe you get used to it very quickly and it allows for a bigger screen for the same size overall. 

There are various accessories such as keyboards, pens and connectors for SD cards and cameras. I am sure they will eventually replace laptops. 

Hi Ed. 

I have an ipad pros 12,9 bought last april and it’s very heavy!!!

But I’m quite satisfied with it.

I upload my photos to Alamy from ipad through Creative Cloud App. 

My work flow is to transfer photos to lightroom app. 

After photo editing with lightroom, I classify them like “ Kyoto Temple 2019.   

On Alamy site, I upload them from the file. 

I can select only one by one and it’s not practical but I do that way. 

or you could select all the photo if you use keyboard for ipad like using desktop.(i've never tried) 

I use Lightroom app and photoshop app. 

Photoshop isn’t still complete like desktop one but CUT OUT😂 is ver easy to do. 

It’ll be powerful app eventually in my opinion. 

By the way, I got Adobe Photo Plan (1 year) for free cause I uploaded 300 photos on Adobe Stockphoto.  

You can get Adobe CC for free if you upload 300 videos on that site. 

Young 

Edited by Young

I have an older iPad Air 2, 9.75" display, wifi (no cellular) and 128GB storage. It gets very little use. It contains my portfolio, and via an adapter can connect to a TV for a larger display. If I'm traveling light I tend to carry my MacBook Air 11" i7 1.7 GHz 8GB memory, 500 GB SSD. It's size and weight is acceptable and it's far more versatile than the iPad. I keep on toying with the idea of giving the iPad to my grandson so it gets more use as he only has a basic android tablet.

5 hours ago, sb photos said:

I have an older iPad Air 2, 9.75" display, wifi (no cellular) and 128GB storage. It gets very little use. It contains my portfolio, and via an adapter can connect to a TV for a larger display. If I'm traveling light I tend to carry my MacBook Air 11" i7 1.7 GHz 8GB memory, 500 GB SSD. It's size and weight is acceptable and it's far more versatile than the iPad. I keep on toying with the idea of giving the iPad to my grandson so it gets more use as he only has a basic android tablet.

Interesting......up until recently I had the original iPad 1 which served me well.  However, unsurprisingly was getting slower and slower so I decided to go for iPad mini 5.  I don't use it for photography mainly reading although  like to have some of my images on it.  I went for the 64gb version which is plenty for me and it's really great.  Also fits in my handbag if needed.  Would be interested to know which is the best adapter to get for connecting to a TV though for a larger display ?  

I got a great deal on it on eBay brand new at least £100 cheaper than anywhere else and it has warranty on it.  

Carol

Mine, iPad 5th generation, has WiFi and cellular. I turn the cellular off at home and use WiFi, but if I travel, I can turn cellular on, just like with my iPhone. I did that when traveling last spring when I stayed overnight at a motel. I probably could have gone to the desk and got their WiFi password, but I was too tired. Echo was traveling with me and somewhat stressed by the new surroundings so I didn’t want to leave her.  Never even thought to see if I had a room phone! 😄

Thanks, Betty. I've felt like Echo in some hotels this past year. 

With my home wifi being what it is, I feel a need of the cellular option. I'll stop in at the Apple Store and get a feel of weight and size. The size of the cost is scary. 

Edited by Ed Rooney

iPAD pro - with 4G cellular.

Almost as capable as a MacBook when it comes to photography for editing.

Captioning - not quite as good as a MacBook (lightroom does not fully caption - i use shutter snitch).

Uploading - FTP uploading of fully captioned images to Alamy, multiple files via FTP in Shuttersnitch.

I do this all the time - across Europe and in the USA. As mentioned above - I have written about it multiple times, there are links and threads in the forum (and above).

On 15/01/2020 at 16:26, Ed Rooney said:

Thanks, PhiI. I read Julie's post but I wasn't sure if she was submitting iPhone snaps or larger files.

Must admit - I find this a little insulting. Why not ask me what I am doing or using as opposed to someone else. It is quite obviously written by me and posted on this forum by me... ( Sorry - not trying to cause trouble but there is a reason that things like this hit a raw nerve).

Edited by Julie Edwards

8 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

It sounds fantastic but really expensive. The only worthwhile savings would be the 11" rather than the 12.9"  

Do any of you have a newer iPad with cellular and wifi?

I have the 10.5" wifi version (2017 iPadPro) as I have good wifi at home and generally don't need it on the iPad. If I was doing a lot of live news then the cellular version would be very useful. That is what Julie is doing. It was those articles that inspired me to really check out how all that would work in case I needed it and I understand the whole process now having spent quite a bit of time this week teaching myself. So I might be sounding over-enthusiastic in my posts above but I was really trying to explain how amazing these new iPads are and what they can do - not so much trying to get you to buy one 😀.

Having said that I can imagine how you might benefit from having one (maybe selling one of the MacBooks if you don't need two - I recall you bought the second one when the first was off for repair). If you were getting anything I would recommend the 11" iPadPro 256GB  (it's around 900) which is the updated version of what I have. I wouldn't really recommend going for one of the lower spec ones if using it for photography as it might not have the power to do what you want. This is based on my general philosophy of getting more than I think I need at the time of purchase when it comes to computers (including tablets) as photographic applications always need more than the average user requires.

I should add that there is a steep learning curve in using the iPad and Lightroom Mobile versus the desktop version for processing images as the touch process is quite different from using a mouse. The Apple Pencil is very useful for making tweaks to settings in Lightroom. Photoshop Mobile is another matter though. Fact is I will still be doing almost all editing on my desktop but, if one was not doing much editing, then Lightroom Mobile could be very useful. 

Edited by MDM

5 minutes ago, Julie Edwards said:

Must admit - I find this a little insulting. Why not ask me what I am doing or using as opposed to someone else. It is quite obviously written by me and posted on this forum by me... ( Sorry - not trying to cause trouble but there is a reason that things like this hit a raw nerve).

I don't think it was intended to insult Julie. Edo asked the question on this thread and your thread got referred to. I think anyone who has read your stuff will really appreciate your efforts. I certainly do and I have learned a lot from you over the past week including becoming proficient with Shuttersnitch. I don't say that to many people these days.

Edited by MDM
  • Love 2

12 minutes ago, Julie Edwards said:

No insult intended, Julie. Just confusion on my part. And it was an older post that Phil pointed out. Thanks for the info. 

• Love 1

Stopped in at the Apple Store today. I didn't have much time but I wanted to get to feel the weight. One of the guys in a red shirt was praising the regular iPad 7th generation, 10.2" with 128GB. He didn't know about Adobe and large photo files. Cellular will mean getting a paid connection. I don't plan to rush into anything. I need cellular, Adobe CC, and a smart keyboard. That will cost a whole lot. 🙄

That model is not a pro model - pro ones are much faster according to the reviews. It might be fine of course with RX100 files. My 2017 one has no problem with 45MP images which are a lot bigger than the RX100 files. It is a remarkable piece of technology. 

You can get deals from the mobile phone companies (eg O2) if buying the cellular version and pay monthly. Worth checking out if you are serious about it.