Submission failed all photos rejected - which photo was the problem?

• 1 year later...
On 09/01/2020 at 23:27, markus said:

It seems I make the impression I am lazy. I am not. I only tried to better and faster understand, to estimate in what direction I should/could look at, and understand what can be an efficient workflow for me. I am not a pro in photography, and not a pro in stock or microstock photography. I like my photography development in the last year, and might push it forward. 

Some questions I have might upset some (as in 'why don't you just Google it ffs'), as they are just "so beginner". Well, sorry, it is how it is. In all fairness. Not everyone can start as a pro.

Thanks again for help, feedback, opinions. I got it.

Markus, it is not you. Alamy's QC approach shows arrogance and disrespect towards their suppliers. It seems like they punish their suppliers for not doing the controller's job. If you can't be bothered to provide justified feedback as a controller then you are in the wrong business. Some of Alamy's competitors have much more efficient and effective QC. Not sure why some people think Alamy is the best thing since sliced bread..

• Dislike 1

11 hours ago, Yannis Vythoulkas said:

Markus, it is not you. Alamy's QC approach shows arrogance and disrespect towards their suppliers. It seems like they punish their suppliers for not doing the controller's job. If you can't be bothered to provide justified feedback as a controller then you are in the wrong business. Some of Alamy's competitors have much more efficient and effective QC. Not sure why some people think Alamy is the best thing since sliced bread..

You have it the wrong way around. It is the photographer's job to ensure that their images are of sufficient technical quality.

Contributing to Alamy is optional.

Edited by geogphotos
  • Love 1
  • Like 7

11 hours ago, Yannis Vythoulkas said:

Alamy's intention is to provide a professional standard product to their customers. Do you think I can produce sub standard work as a civil engineer and expect the checkers to pick up everything - that wouldn't make me very good at my job.

If you know what you're doing, you will rarely fail QC. Alamy provides feedback every time photos are rejected.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Steve F said:

Alamy's intention is to provide a professional standard product to their customers. Do you think I can produce sub standard work as a civil engineer and expect the checkers to pick up everything - that wouldn't make me very good at my job.

If you know what you're doing, you will rarely fail QC. Alamy provides feedback every time photos are rejected.

This is only partly true and is missing a very fundamental point Steve - Alamy does not do quality control for content. The Alamy QC model is based on the notion of technical quality and they just check a sample, not every image in an upload. That is why they differ from other agencies and why the collection is vast and extremely varied. Basically they are checking for general technical competence but that does not mean that all images that pass QC are of a professional standard. In fact there are a lot of substandard images in the collection for various reasons, both in terms of technical quality and content (images that just went through and did not get QC'd, agency images with different QC criteria etc etc). And unless things have changed since I last failed QC in 2012, then the feedback they provide is often limited to basic criteria (what this post is all about). 

Edited by MDM
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, MDM said:

This is only partly true and is missing a very fundamental point Steve - Alamy does not do quality control for content. The Alamy QC model is based on the notion of technical quality and they just check a sample, not every image in an upload. That is why they differ from other agencies and why the collection is vast and extremely varied. Basically they are checking for general technical competence but that does not mean that all images that pass QC are of a professional standard. In fact there are a lot of substandard images in the collection for various reasons, both in terms of technical quality and content (images that just went through and did not get QC'd, agency images with different QC criteria etc etc). And unless things have changed since I last failed QC in 2012, then the feedback they provide is often limited to basic criteria (what this post is all about). 

I guess I didn't elaborate enough. I'm expected to do self checks in my work as a civil engineer. Ditto for Alamy, because they, as you say, only spot check.

Content is another kettle of fish, I agree that a lot of content is unsaleable / not professional looking. But the OP is talking about failing Alamy QC, which is related to the technical quality. And I think Alamy QC is actually too lenient.

• Love 1

10 minutes ago, Steve F said:

I guess I didn't elaborate enough. I'm expected to do self checks in my work as a civil engineer. Ditto for Alamy, because they, as you say, only spot check.

Content is another kettle of fish, I agree that a lot of content is unsaleable / not professional looking. But the OP is talking about failing Alamy QC, which is related to the technical quality. And I think Alamy QC is actually too lenient.

Dear Steve, I think you are too helpful. Some dudes don't deserve it. Just look at the portfolio of a guy trying to say not that kind things about the submission process on Alamy . It's just time wasted...

Edited by Ognyan Yosifov
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ognyan Yosifov said:

Dear Steve, I think you are too helpful. Some dudes don't deserve it. Just look at the portfolio of a guy trying to say not that kind things about the submission process on Alamy . It's just time wasted...

Ermmm... No comment on that portfolio 🙃

It's annoying when some people ask for feedback and then don't acknowledge it. I'm also thinking of cutting down because I'm literally saying the same things over and over. I wish people would look at the Forum more before asking for Portfolio feedback, or well, anything!

I like to help though, I remember being a beginner on Alamy. But, I also remember doing a lot of research on editing and picture taking generally after I failed with my first Alamy submission. I didn't submit again for a whole year because I was reading up.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Steve F said:

Yeah I was just clarifying as some people don't seem to understand what Alamy QC is about.  I actually thought we were in the same thread as yesterday.  If i had realised this was a resurrection, I would not have bothered.

As for sliced bread - I prefer to slice it myself. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Yannis Vythoulkas said:

i would love to hear of any competitor that has more efficient and effective QC.  All I see around forums are complaint of random processes and unexplained decisions from competitors. In addition some will charge up to 85% for said "superior" process.  The 60% Alamy charges is already disrespectful enough, not sure how anyone would be happy with the "more efficient and effective" 85%. 

• Love 1