UK Newspaper Question

John Mitchell

Question

I had a rare (for me) UK newspaper sale show up a couple of days ago. Very curious to know what kind of article it was used to illustrate. Does anyone know what paper it might be? It is my lowest sale ($) this month. These are the licensing terms:

Usage: Editorial
Media: Newspaper - national
Print run: up to 2 million
Placement: Inside and online
Image Size: 1/4 page
Start: 29 November 2019
End: 30 November 2019
Any placement in paper and online. One use in a single editorial article used within the print and digital versions of a single publication. Digital usage includes archive rights for the lifetime of the article.

Ta in advance.

19 answers to this question

8 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

I had a rare (for me) UK newspaper sale show up a couple of days ago. Very curious to know what kind of article it was used to illustrate. Does anyone know what paper it might be? It is my lowest sale ($) this month. These are the licensing terms:

Any placement in paper and online. One use in a single editorial article used within the print and digital versions of a single publication. Digital usage includes archive rights for the lifetime of the article.

Ta in advance.

All I can do in similar circumstances is to use the google image search or a general google search for your credit, but many UK newspapers only credit Alamy, some give no credit at all. I only track down about 40% at best of my sales.

As a long shot, you might try Googling topics associated with the image, including the date of usage. Not all of the UK papers hide behind a paywall and you might get lucky.

Alternatively, if you were to cite the gross fee John, it would be easier for other contributors to check against their own records for that period.

The papers do pay peanuts for online usage, but, in fairness, some of the redtops do use multiple images with most of their stories.

8 hours ago, LawrensonPhoto said:

The Sun or The Times

I agree, licences like this match those I've had in the Sun and Times Newspapers.

17 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

It is my lowest sale ($) this month.

Welcome to Alamy's UK Newspaper discount scheme!

Mark

Not quite a match with my latest use in The Times - it was editorial and worldwide.

No print run mentioned. Single figure sale.

But these sales often seem  to be very easy to find in use in a Google Image search. I found the recent one in two secs.

Edited by Niels Quist

10 hours ago, Bryan said:

As a long shot, you might try Googling topics associated with the image, including the date of usage. Not all of the UK papers hide behind a paywall and you might get lucky.

Alternatively, if you were to cite the gross fee John, it would be easier for other contributors to check against their own records for that period.

The papers do pay peanuts for online usage, but, in fairness, some of the redtops do use multiple images with most of their stories.

It was gross alright -- $7.62

1 hour ago, M.Chapman said:

I agree, licences like this match those I've had in the Sun and Times Newspapers.

Welcome to Alamy's UK Newspaper discount scheme!

Mark

Thanks. Fortunately, the scheme doesn't seem to like me much. I get very few UK newspaper sales.

1 hour ago, Bryan said:

If you peer in here  you will see that only 3 UK daily nationals apear to have circulations above 1 million

(Your dates were a Friday and Saturday.)

So options appear to be 

The Metro -

The Sun 

The Daily Mail

Best of luck!

Thanks, Bryan. The Daily Mail seems to be the most likely culprit, but no luck. I guess my photo has been swallowed by the black hole of "in perpetuity". Oh well.

I'm surprised that The Guardian has such a low circulation. It's  one of the most interesting newspapers on the planet IMO.

Edited by John Mitchell

I had a rare UK newspaper sale, too. But for $22.49.

Managed Country: United Kingdom
Print run: up to 750,000
Start: 03 November 2019
End: 04 November 2019
Any placement in paper and online. One use in a single editorial or advertorial article used within print and /or web versions, with re-use of the article in other titles or web versions within the same newspaper group. Digital use includes archive rights for the lifetime of the article.

2 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

Any placement in paper and online. One use in a single editorial or advertorial article used within print and /or web versions, with re-use of the article in other titles or web versions within the same newspaper group. Digital use includes archive rights for the lifetime of the article.

Jackpot!

Edited by John Mitchell

9 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

That will be the Daily Telegraph, Betty.  I had one for the same terms (different start and end date) and price drop in this morning and it was one that I'd already seen.

Just now, John Richmond said:

That will be the Daily Telegraph, Betty.  I had one for the same terms (different start and end date) and price drop in this morning and it was one that I'd already seen.

Thank you, John. It’s only the second or third time I’ve ever sold to UK papers. Hen’s teeth comes to mind in rarity.

2 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Thanks, Bryan. The Daily Mail seems to be the most likely culprit, but no luck. I guess my photo has been swallowed by the black hole of "in perpetuity". Oh well.

I'm surprised that The Guardian has such a low circulation. It's  one of the most interesting newspapers on the planet IMO.

The left is in a state of disarray at present, it appears that a majority follow the banal warblings of the DM. I confess to be a Guardian concise crossword addict, and should really give them a small Xmas present. I don't know if that paper will be able to struggle on for much longer without a paywall to protect its online offering.

3 hours ago, Bryan said:

The left is in a state of disarray at present, it appears that a majority follow the banal warblings of the DM. I confess to be a Guardian concise crossword addict, and should really give them a small Xmas present. I don't know if that paper will be able to struggle on for much longer without a paywall to protect its online offering.

The Guardian does get a little over the top sometimes, but I really enjoy most of their articles. I should give them a small Xmas present as well. It would be shame if they folded. They're probably afraid of losing readers if they put up a paywall.

I'd say that everything is in a state of disarray these days -- left, right, and centre.

I've found a few images of mine that were used by newspapers with Copytrack, that google search and Tineye didn't pick up.

Following other folks advice on here led me to Copytrack, I've been uploading my zooms and news submissions there. Not found any illicit use yet though...

• Like 1

On 22/12/2019 at 22:45, John Mitchell said:

Ta in advance.

I do an occasional search on the news section of google with my name in inverted commas, plus 'photo'. That turns up usages from years ago which I've forgotten.