Automatic Translation....

I had a search show up for the German word "bügeln" and was baffled as I did not remember any of my pictures that would fit.

It comes that the word "bügeln" translates into the English verb "(to) iron" and iron itself is slightly ambiguous in English. 

Hence the picture that showed up to the client was this: 

Rusted iron with hole Stock Photo

which obviously is iron and quite rusted, but has little to do with ironing shirts - that is unless one needs some rusty stains.

Anyone else experience with weird translations 

Edited by hdh
typo big one :D

1 minute ago, John Morrison said:

They need ironing?

No, not really require ironing, but some people would even iron socks. 

Personally I am an unacquainted ironeer - could also call me dysironic - hence no picture of that in my portfolio :D

25 minutes ago, hdh said:

which obviously is iron and quite rusted, but has little to do with ironing shits -

8 minutes ago, John Morrison said:

They need ironing?

Something they do in Germany?

Edited by MDM

3 minutes ago, MDM said:

Something they do in Germany?

[sarcasm]

No, we wear iron socks 🧦

[/sarcasm]

Edited by hdh
added sarcasm marker :)

1 hour ago, hdh said:

has little to do with ironing shits

1 hour ago, John Morrison said:

They need ironing?

Yes, apparently flattening turds helps with storage. They stack better and you can fit more of them in a small space....🤣

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman

i just did a test on translation on French access to Alamy, and not sure if there is insight somewhere on how to make things better for international customers...

I had

An image of St Paul church on the Ill river in Strasbourg      (using info exactly as per Wikipedia english, as a foreigner this would be my main source)

I was concerned about the river name "ill" interestingly enough in the title it is properly translated (ie its name), but in KW it is "translated" to "Sick" in French. However it does seem to still get found in searches  even if not in title (one of the issue is alamyimages.fr only displays the first 10  KW)

Where there was an issue, is using the English naming "St. Paul"  my images were missed when i wrote the common French name "Saint Paul". In understand it's an abbreviation term but this was still a concern. 

So i did a test

on English site St. Louis, USA gives 23000+ results, however on .FR Saint-Louis USA gives only 6000 results (same as if i typed Saint Louis in English).  and  just to make sure, this is how the city gets spelled by a Francophone paper in Montréal. 

Before this is dismissed as abbreviation, this is more about different linguistic approaches, and i'm curious if Alamy has published insight how to handle it.  I'm good with French, and yet now found 15 images in France i badly handled,  but not sure if my images get fair treatment in German and other mirror sites. 

continued....  (why do i do this to myself)

Way of St. James  returns 26,000+ entries

on .fr

Chemin de Compostelle   returns about 15,000  (possibly images that also referred to Santiago de Compostela)

however 

Chemin Compostelle  only returns about 1000 images, and all related to compost  (which is actually composte in French, nothing to do with Compostelle)   

On 16/12/2019 at 19:57, M.Chapman said:

Yes, apparently flattening turds helps with storage. They stack better and you can fit more of them in a small space....🤣

Much of my post processing is akin to polishing a turd. I'm wondering if that's why they slip through QC so rapidly

Computer translation can never work for single words. Especially for English which has SO MANY synonyms.

Iron is one example.

How about 'tip?' Is it a piece of advice? the point of a pencil? a rubbish dump? a gratuity you leave for your waiter in a restaurant?

If you go on the German site and do a search for "Trinkgeld" ('drink money' - the money you leave for your waiter) the first results are a felt-tip pen, a white tipped shark, an orange tip butterfly, ........

These results are quite understandable to an English-speaker, and a new search with other words to clarify will bring up the subject you want.

But if you are a German who doesn't speak good English (and I believe there are a handful) these results are meaningless and thoroughly confusing.

Imagine doing a search for 'dragon' and getting loads of pic of children flying kites. Irrelevant, yes? But the same word in German (Drachen)

Thankfully most Germans do speak pretty good English and will either search in English or be able to work out why they got the weird results in German, and have a good laugh at them.

40 minutes ago, Phil Robinson said:

Computer translation can never work for single words. Especially for English which has SO MANY synonyms.

Iron is one example.

How about 'tip?' Is it a piece of advice? the point of a pencil? a rubbish dump? a gratuity you leave for your waiter in a restaurant?

If you go on the German site and do a search for "Trinkgeld" ('drink money' - the money you leave for your waiter) the first results are a felt-tip pen, a white tipped shark, an orange tip butterfly, ........

These results are quite understandable to an English-speaker, and a new search with other words to clarify will bring up the subject you want.

But if you are a German who doesn't speak good English (and I believe there are a handful) these results are meaningless and thoroughly confusing.

Imagine doing a search for 'dragon' and getting loads of pic of children flying kites. Irrelevant, yes? But the same word in German (Drachen)

Thankfully most Germans do speak pretty good English and will either search in English or be able to work out why they got the weird results in German, and have a good laugh at them.

Nothing with non relevant, this is about Relevant results, properly coded, and Keyworded not being found. 

Alamy creates these mirror sites, where we are not able to actually provide proper information, and with clear indications to NOT add words in other languages (other than Latin names)

49 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

Nothing with non relevant, this is about Relevant results, properly coded, and Keyworded not being found. 

Alamy creates these mirror sites, where we are not able to actually provide proper information, and with clear indications to NOT add words in other languages (other than Latin names)

I thought it was about irrelevant results - images of ferrous metal coming up in searches for a domestic activity.