Black Friday software deals

Both Capture One and Affinity Photo have Black Friday deals on their software for a limited period of time (not just Friday!):

Capture One

Affinity Photo

Photo Mechanic has a little bit off as well:

https://store.camerabits.com/products/photo-mechanic-6

Edited by Harry Harrison
Additional info
  • Like 1

As do DxO with their excellent and increasingly sophisticated RAW conversion package DxO PhotoLab. Now in version 3, its well worth a look. They offer a 31 day fully functional trial and their offer is open until Dec 2, so you have a small window to test drive and jump on their 50% offer.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Harry Harrison said:

Both Capture One and Affinity Photo have Black Friday deals on their software for a limited period of time (not just Friday!):

Capture One

Affinity Photo

Photo Mechanic has a little bit off as well:

https://store.camerabits.com/products/photo-mechanic-6

all the Capture One include upgrade to Capture One 20, the next version 

Just bought my first ever sub to Lightroom £9.98 p/m on their BF deal. I'm not sure how much I've saved if anything. I was buying it anyway. Topaz have a Black Friday deal going too. I liked their Mask AI when I tried a trial copy when it first came out but it's not cheap at full price. The whole suite costs $290 on offer.

Edited by Sultanpepa

On 28/11/2019 at 08:06, Colin Woods said:

As do DxO with their excellent and increasingly sophisticated RAW conversion package DxO PhotoLab. Now in version 3, its well worth a look. They offer a 31 day fully functional trial and their offer is open until Dec 2, so you have a small window to test drive and jump on their 50% offer.

I bought the Elite upgrade.  It reads the keywords from Lightroom without any problems, imports the sidecar files, and seems worth having as a back up to Lightroom and Adobe in general.  I have it on both a Mac running Catalina and a laptop running the latest Windows 10.

I find DxO easier to use than Capture One.

Edited by MizBrown
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Sultanpepa said:

Just bought my first ever sub to Lightroom £9.98 p/m on their BF deal. I'm not sure how much I've saved if anything.

That's the standard price I think, if you Google it would appear from an article in the Daily Express of all places that they were offering it for £8.32/month but that offer finished on November 17. It may not be true. Great software, rubbish business model imho.

• Like 1

Down loaded trial version of DxO 3 Elite. It is going to be one hell of a learning curve for me as I need to set it up to emulate the LR layout.

May pay for the software by December 2nd as it will be useful when I cannot afford the subscription to LR Classic. That will be coming sooner rather than later as far as I can tell.

Shame because I really like the LR layout and operating method.

Allan

10 hours ago, Harry Harrison said:

That's the standard price I think, if you Google it would appear from an article in the Daily Express of all places that they were offering it for £8.32/month but that offer finished on November 17. It may not be true. Great software, rubbish business model imho.

As I said I was buying it regardless so wasn't too bothered about deals. I just need to learn how to use it now. 🙂

24 minutes ago, Sultanpepa said:

As I said I was buying it regardless so wasn't too bothered about deals

Sure, they never give much of a reduction anyway and it's not very much per month in the scheme of things. I'm just not a fan of their subscription model for Lightroom in particular, not especially for Photoshop.

3 hours ago, Harry Harrison said:

I'm just not a fan of their subscription model for Lightroom in particular, not especially for Photoshop.

I wish they did a sub for Lightroom Classic only. I would willingly pay £5/month just for that. Not interested in everything else that is offered in the package at £9.98/month.

Allan

2 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

I wish they did a sub for Lightroom Classic only. I would willingly pay £5/month just for that

Well yes, I doubt that they will though, they want to tie you in to both products together, and actually an extra £5/month for Photoshop would make that seem pretty cheap considering its level of sophistication these days. No for me the problem is their abandonment of the Perpetual Licence product, the ability to buy the product outright and then pay for upgrades if required. If you are happy with your computer setup and your supported cameras you will have a fully functioning version of Lightroom in perpetuity, you've paid for it after all. That's what I still have in fact with the last 6.14 version. Many photographers will have supported them for a long time through many versions of Lightroom by paying for upgrades as and when they needed to but are now forced to subscribe.

There is actually a difference here between subscibing to Photoshop and subscribing to Lightroom. If you decide to end your subscription to Photoshop you still have all your files and presumably have found a more acceptable alternative to process your images. With Lightroom you will have invested many hundreds, possibly thousands, of hours into creating your own catalogues, presets, captions, keywords etc. and then as soon as you end your subscription the Develop module is disabled, thus severely compromising all the work you have put in.

I find it a pretty cynical move actually, entirely in the interests of the shareholders, and disregarding the interests of the photographers that have supported them in the past.

Of the alternatives mentioned above Affinity Photo is a one off licence with free upgrades, DxO & Photo Mechanic offer one off licernces with paid for upgrades, Capture One give you the choice between a subsciption or a one-off licence with paid-for upgrades.

16 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

I wish they did a sub for Lightroom Classic only. I would willingly pay £5/month just for that. Not interested in everything else that is offered in the package at £9.98/month.

Allan

agreed , i have to pay for LR just to get PS. 

I used to upgrade Photoshop at least every two years, sometimes every year, depending on what the upgrades were. The $9.99 a month is cheaper than the old way for me. This comes to about $120 a year, cheaper than what I paid before averaged out, even if I skipped a year.

For those who seldom or didn’t upgrade, I can understand your gripe.

Betty

2 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

This comes to about $120 a year, cheaper than what I paid before averaged out

Yes Betty, I'm not really suggesting that the subscription might be poor value for Photoshop users, it is probably very good value but everyone can decide for themselves, it's not really a problem to switch to different software if you choose to.

My point is really that the situation with Lightroom is different as you, the photographer, invest a great deal of precious time into your own Lightroom Catalogues and with the 'paid for' versions up to 6.14 you can still use them in their entirety, for ever essentially. The subscription model means that you are tied in as the moment you stop paying the subscription the Develop Module is switched off. This of course means that you can't use the catalogues at all as your old LR6 catalogue will have been upgraded and there's no going back.

You are also relying on Adobe continuing to provide and support what they now call 'Lightroom Classic'. They do seem now to be pushing their 'CC' version to the fore.

Edited by Harry Harrison

I'm not sure what you mean, Harry, when you say the catalog can't be used if the develop module is taken away. The Library module is where you work on the catalog and the Develop module is only if you are changing the image in some way. I'm still on the old standalone version and resisting the subscription but since I need a new MacBook Pro I think I am going to be forced to do the subscription. If I ever left it would I not be able to use the catalog by moving into a different program for working on the images?

Paulette

Edited by NYCat

1 hour ago, NYCat said:

I'm not sure what you mean, Harry, when you say the catalog can't be used if the develop module is taken away

Yes, I did say in the original post that the catalog could be used, but its use would be severely compromised through the lack of the Develop module. Bear in mind that since we are both on 6.14 we have paid Adobe outright for what we have now, a fully functioning program. If you want to upgrade your camera to a current model you are forced to take up the subscription plan. That's a train you can't get off, and it's a train that might be taken out of service by Adobe in the future anyway.

I see you are thinking of processing your RAW files in different software in the future and then bringing the resulting tiffs into your, by then, disabled version of Lightroom? I don't know whether they allow 'Import' but even if they do it's hardly ideal. The beauty of Lightroom is to house the RAW files and then process the files there, and I often find I revisit a file and process it slightly differently, or maybe I want a black & white etc. etc.

To keep up the railway analogy, it's not like I'm looking to bring back steam trains because I like the smoke, they still have Lightroom but they have chosen not to offer it as a one-time purchase. You could wonder why that was, security reasons perhaps, but personally I think it is just protecting their bottom line. Every other company that I know in this field give you the option to purchase their software, and Capture One offer both models, just as Adobe used to.

I'm not saying the subscription model is all bad either, I'm sure it's great for companies and institutions, schools etc. I'm also concerned that Lightrooom Classic has become a niche product that doesn't fit easily into their range, and they can't charge hosting fees on it. Until you've used it it is quite difficult to explain what it can do and the CC version is an easier sell.

Cynical, moi?

I use LR to develop my images, send over to PS to tweak or use layers. I do not use cataloguing, never have, never will. Ask MDM. Michael gave up twisting my arm. 
I have my own system and it will still be there if and when I decide not to use CC. That will be when I’m too old or something happens to disable me.

Betty

22 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I used to upgrade Photoshop at least every two years, sometimes every year, depending on what the upgrades were. The $9.99 a month is cheaper than the old way for me. This comes to about $120 a year, cheaper than what I paid before averaged out, even if I skipped a year.

For those who seldom or didn’t upgrade, I can understand your gripe.

Betty

Yeah, I had records of what I paid in upgrades (my original Photoshop was $50 from a friend who could buy employee discounted  Adobe products, so I was starting with lower costs than full price).  The annual subscription deal saved money, though not much, and that even with my educational discounts when I was teaching as an adjunct in a university.   For anyone who'd paid standard prices, it was going to be an even bigger savings.

My only concern is that Adobe products aren't technically sold where I live, and if things go the direction with US sanctions that happened to Venezuela, I'd be forced to do everything with programs coming out of countries that don't honor US trade sanctions.

8 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I use LR to develop my images, send over to PS to tweak or use layers. I do not use cataloguing, never have, never will. Ask MDM. Michael gave up twisting my arm. 
I have my own system and it will still be there if and when I decide not to use CC. That will be when I’m too old or something happens to disable me.

Betty

I also have my own cataloguing system. Don't use LR's or any others.

Allan

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

I also have my own cataloguing system. Don't use LR's or any others.

Allan

I always knew you were weird like me, Allan, you non-conformist, you! Or I might say we both march to a different drummer. :D I have always done so. I listen to opinions but if they don’t conform to what I like or want to do, I do my own thing even if it hairlips the pope. (Old saying 😁)

Just because something has a lot of working parts many find useful doesn’t mean we must use them to be considered sane. I’m also one of those weird people that the harder you push me, the harder I push back. It’s my life, after all.

Betty

• Like 1

Have a green arrow from me for the up coming holidays.

Allan

Further to my other post above I did not buy the licence for DxO 3 after all. I tried to make it emulate LR classic but It was not good enough in that I was constantly scrolling the panels for what I needed. For the same cost, around £80/90 quids, I may buy the up to date PSE which will give me the up to date Adobe RAW (cut down) version then send to LR 6.14 perennial as a TIFF to fully process.

ITMA

Edited by Allan Bell

I have trialed a few other softwares, but they were either hard to figure out, or lacking something LR classic or PS has that I find indispensable. Like the upright tool or layers. Learning new software doesn’t come easy. The easy way is to stick with what I know rather than the uncertainty of what I don’t know and spending days working it out only to find out that I hate it. Some of them are clunky and slow.

Of course, I gave up trialing software some time back and they may have had a few kinks worked out.

What I have accomplished is decorating my Christmas tree! 🎄

Betty

RBJRET.jpg

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Love 1

10 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I have trialed a few other softwares, but they were either hard to figure out, or lacking something LR classic or PS has that I find indispensable. Like the upright tool or layers. Learning new software doesn’t come easy. The easy way is to stick with what I know rather than the uncertainty of what I don’t know and spending days working it out only to find out that I hate it. Some of them are clunky and slow.

Of course, I gave up trialing software some time back and they may have had a few kinks worked out.

What I have accomplished is decorating my Christmas tree! 🎄

Betty

RBJRET.jpg

You are the first person I have said this to this year. 

Merry Christmas.

Allan

• 3 weeks later...

Looking at options myself now and although years ago I was an avid Adobe user the subscription basis sticks in my teeth!

has anyone that was an avid Adobe user switched to Afinity and if so what’s your thoughts, opinions good and bad!

going to need to select something soon so advise much appreciated!

Lee.