Adobe blocks all Venezuelan CC accounts.

Wow! This takes cyber war to a new level. I wasn't comfortable with the Adobe subscription model before, now even less so. This won't do Adobe's business much good.

Are Microsoft also going to deactivate all Office 360 user accounts in Venezuela too? Are Apple going to have to close all iCloud accounts and remove server access? What about Google GMail and GSuite accounts?

The implications of this could be huge. Or is this just more "fake news"?

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

Wow! This takes cyber war to a new level. I wasn't comfortable with the Adobe subscription model before, now even less so. This won't do Adobe's business much good.

Are Microsoft also going to deactivate all Office 360 user accounts in Venezuela too? Are Apple going to have to close all iCloud accounts and remove server access? What about Google GMail and GSuite accounts?

The implications of this could be huge. Or is this just more "fake news"?

Mark

not fake news

An Adobe stock contributor actually posted elsewhere that his account will be closed and  removed by month end due to above order.

2 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

Yes, very odd that so far it only seems to be Adobe who have taken any action.

One reason to have a back up standard non-cloud program just in case if one lives in a  country the US is likely to have squabbles with. 

This is stupid for Adobe since one of the things that the cloud subscriptions has done for them is reduce the number of pirated copies out there. 

Can I apologize on behalf of my country? Hurting freelancers including vital media outlets and just people trying to make a living, kids in school learning the programs, etc. - none of this will help achieve his goals, and it will hurt Adobe if people find alternatives, whether pirated copies, or a way to keep their PS going without checking in online - such a mess. One less person for him to reach out to to manufacture dirt on his opponents, at least...

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Marianne said:

Can I apologize on behalf of my country? Hurting freelancers including vital media outlets and just people trying to make a living, kids in school learning the programs, etc. - none of this will help achieve his goals, and it will hurt Adobe if people find alternatives, whether pirated copies, or a way to keep their PS going without checking in online - such a mess. One less person for him to reach out to to manufacture dirt on his opponents, at least...

The idea of a lot of US foreign policy like this and like the various security ratings for countries are to put the squeeze on the population and get popular protests against regimes the US isn't friendly with.  Nicaragua and Costa Rica have, as far as I can tell, similar problems with crime against tourists, but Nicaragua has a "Reconsider Travel Plans" Level Three rating and Costa Rica has a Level One (safer than the UK and some other European countries).   All of the US citizens in Nicaragua are ready to jump if we can't get money from ATMs.   If Honduras isn't also sanctioned, a number of us will make monthy visits to Honduras or Costa Rica to get our money out of the banks.

The US had a number of restrictions on Cuba.  The Cubans figured out how to survive anyway.  The best way to get these countries to liberalize is not trying to make hardships for the citizens, especially not the brighter ones who are the people likely to be using the Adobe CC programs and who are likely to follow the news enough to know who caused them pain.

47 minutes ago, MizBrown said:

The idea of a lot of US foreign policy like this and like the various security ratings for countries are to put the squeeze on the population and get popular protests against regimes the US isn't friendly with.  Nicaragua and Costa Rica have, as far as I can tell, similar problems with crime against tourists, but Nicaragua has a "Reconsider Travel Plans" Level Three rating and Costa Rica has a Level One (safer than the UK and some other European countries).   All of the US citizens in Nicaragua are ready to jump if we can't get money from ATMs.   If Honduras isn't also sanctioned, a number of us will make monthy visits to Honduras or Costa Rica to get our money out of the banks.

The US had a number of restrictions on Cuba.  The Cubans figured out how to survive anyway.  The best way to get these countries to liberalize is not trying to make hardships for the citizens, especially not the brighter ones who are the people likely to be using the Adobe CC programs and who are likely to follow the news enough to know who caused them pain.

Sanctions like these are often just a form of bullying in that they end up hurting the powerless the most.

That said, the Cloud is a dangerous place. I do my best to stay out of it.

• Like 6

Bullying and lack of real world knowledge. From the Venezuelan photographers view they will investigate the opposition, Capture One Pro will likely increase its market share, and increased piracy will take place. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, alexandersr said:

They send me the following message to my email. 

That is clearly going to be really tough for you and all other users of Adobe products in Venezuela, I'm in the UK but it doesn't seem to add up at all from here. I don't quite understand the references in the email about available earnings and payout minimums but I presume that is connected to any refunds that they are offering, though that is not going to be much compensation for leaving you high and dry.

There's another article here from our Financial Times:

https://www.ft.com/content/0c6ddd44-e95d-11e9-a240-3b065ef5fc55

I can't quite understand why when you Google this issue from here regarding the 'executive order' it only seems to be issues with Adobe that come up, are you expecting other US subscription based services to join in, perhaps software or cloud storage? The Adobe email mentions Paypal so presumably that isn't affected. Is there a feeling that maybe Adobe are interpreting  this order rather harshly?

Edit:

Sorry, meanderingemu has explained the earnings and payments references, are you an Adobe subscription software user as well, or maybe a contributor to another US based library?

Edited by Harry Harrison
clarification

1 minute ago, Harry Harrison said:

That is clearly going to be really tough for you and all other users of Adobe products in Venezuela, I'm in the UK but it doesn't seem to add up at all from here. I don't quite understand the references in the email about avaiable earnings and payout minimums but I presume that is connected to any refunds that they are offering, though that is not going to be much compensation for leaving you high and dry.

the above is from Adobe Stock, so the amounts refer to earnings below minimum payment thresholds 

4 hours ago, Harry Harrison said:

That is clearly going to be really tough for you and all other users of Adobe products in Venezuela, I'm in the UK but it doesn't seem to add up at all from here. I don't quite understand the references in the email about available earnings and payout minimums but I presume that is connected to any refunds that they are offering, though that is not going to be much compensation for leaving you high and dry.

There's another article here from our Financial Times:

https://www.ft.com/content/0c6ddd44-e95d-11e9-a240-3b065ef5fc55

I can't quite understand why when you Google this issue from here regarding the 'executive order' it only seems to be issues with Adobe that come up, are you expecting other US subscription based services to join in, perhaps software or cloud storage? The Adobe email mentions Paypal so presumably that isn't affected. Is there a feeling that maybe Adobe are interpreting  this order rather harshly?

Edit:

Sorry, meanderingemu has explained the earnings and payments references, are you an Adobe subscription software user as well, or maybe a contributor to another US based library?

That email it is from Adobe Stock, the following image it is from Adobe.

48898691991_9f3a2d7689_b.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

A fine line to collective punishment, but this is the usual for other people (i.e. Iranians) on a much wider and indiscriminate scale anyway.

In both cases, there always seem to be certain companies much more eager to comply, take the initiative and find ever more "creative" means to punish/disrupt the lives of millions of other human beings for no reason other than their nationalities and based on blatant lies - I dislike the Venezuelan government, but come on, it's the only one in the scene that Venezuelans have voted for, and no, Iranians are not developing and will never develop nuclear weapons which are an insult to their religion.

Edited by German