Alamy Stock, Live News, and . . . something

• Ed Rooney changed the title to Alamy Stock, Live News, and . . . something

The argument is made in this thread.. 

https://discussion.alamy.com/topic/11696-alamy-stockimo-merged-measure/

.. that the iPhone app and Alamy should be merged.

What would be the advantage of separating stock and live news into different 'agencies'?

Edited by Matt Ashmore

The point, the advantage, is that Stock and Live News are not the same thing. And here in the forum many talk about them as if they were.

If a Live News image does not sell, it is bumped over into Stock. I think that's wrong and unhelpful and cultures up both collections. 

• Love 1
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

The point, the advantage, is that Stock and Live News are not the same thing. And here in the forum many talk about them as if they were.

If a Live News image does not sell, it is bumped over into Stock. I think that's wrong and unhelpful and cultures up both collections. 

If lapsed Live News images didn't end up in stock then contributor sales and Alamy revenue would likely be lost. I suspect more lapsed Live News images are sold than those sold as Live News. There are many ex Live News contributors (re the Alamy cull) that still shoot the same news events but contribute as either Stock or Reportage. I do, and I've met others, and they sell. All of my previous Live News submissions were of the quality that would pass stock QC, although I do sometimes see images in the Live News Feed that wouldn't, and last week one that  had an open file size of only 15mb, but that's rare. When publishers are searching for images to illustrate an article, why shouldn't they search on the same site?

• Love 1
  • Like 4

Live news pics often sell later as stock, and once in the stock library provide a useful archive - for when a news picture is required again at a future date - as is often the case with news stories when they get revisited/or there is an update months or even years later. 

Whilst, in theory you could have a separate news archive, that would mean in practice having to maintain two systems/templates/websites etc. It's also probably better from the customer point of view if when searching they can just see everything that's available (if they wish), rather than having to search two sites or integrate two systems.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Since Alamy has a separate agency for iPhone photos, do you not think it makes sense to have separate agencies for Stock and Live News?

Edo

Stockimo is more separate than you might realize, Edo. Everything is done on the phone. You upload with the phone and you keyword on the phone. Also, only those of us who signed up at the beginning get more than 20% of the income. I think the "style" of the photos is different too though I'm not so sure about how true that is. Much less difference, it seems to me, in the Live News photos.

Paulette

• Like 1

I've had a fair number of my formerly Live News photos that didn't sell right away, later sell as stock. I wouldn't want to have to upload them twice, so I'm glad they go over into stock automatically. And all of mine would pass QC, so I wish they didn't have that disclaimer about quality, but not really an issue.

Since all the S images get mixed up with the regular collection, it would be nice to be able to view them from Measures or at least also follow them online as well as via the phone app. I also am assuming that I'm getting 50% but unlike Alamy, the phone app doesn't show you the original gross price, you just see your commission. I love the app though. It encourages me to shoot and be creative even when I don't have a regular camera with me. A pretty sunset seen as I was about to have dinner at the shore? Sold it. And another sunset by a different beach too. If it weren't for S they'd just be sitting on my iPhone.  

• Love 1
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Marianne said:

I've had a fair number of my formerly Live News photos that didn't sell right away, later sell as stock. I wouldn't want to have to upload them twice, so I'm glad they go over into stock automatically. And all of mine would pass QC, so I wish they didn't have that disclaimer about quality, but not really an issue.

Since all the S images get mixed up with the regular collection, it would be nice to be able to view them from Measures or at least also follow them online as well as via the phone app. I also am assuming that I'm getting 50% but unlike Alamy, the phone app doesn't show you the original gross price, you just see your commission. I love the app though. It encourages me to shoot and be creative even when I don't have a regular camera with me. A pretty sunset seen as I was about to have dinner at the shore? Sold it. And another sunset by a different beach too. If it weren't for S they'd just be sitting on my iPhone.  

curious does Alamy have a partnership with Apple?

This subject is in fact a moot point with me, since I've never submitted any Live News to Alamy and don't intend to do so. I'm not on a crusade, not even looking for people to agree with my point. I just want to hear what you all think. Thanks.

I have the S app on my iPhone 7, Paulette. Every so often I consider getting involved with that. 🤔 I use my phone camera a lot -- for visual reminders, the way I used to use a notebook and then a small voice recorder. These modern phone cameras are simply fabulous. 

Edo

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

This subject is in fact a moot point with me, since I've never submitted any Live News to Alamy and don't intend to do so. I'm not on a crusade, not even looking for people to agree with my point. I just want to hear what you all think. Thanks.

I have the S app on my iPhone 7, Paulette. Every so often I consider getting involved with that. 🤔 I use my phone camera a lot -- for visual reminders, the way I used to use a notebook and then a small voice recorder. These modern phone cameras are simply fabulous. 

Edo

They really are, Edo. My first trip to St. Croix, I had just bought an Android phone with a 13 MP camera, the most out at the time. I took a lot of pics with it, and was blown away with the quality. Considering I started out with a 6.1mp Nikon camera.

What I noticed was a big difference in dynamic range on a day with bright sun. Detail lost in the shadows. When it was bright overcast, I barely could see the difference compared with a regular camera. I’ve since moved back to Apple.

Betty

@meanderingemu  No deal with Apple that I've heard of, but they don't have an app for Android yet. 

My daughter sends me bunches of photos via iPhone of my grandson - and I even take some when we facetime - I got a video of him clapping last week - truly wonderful gadgets. 

I uploaded 10 new ones to S yesterday - waiting to see which passed. I usually tend to take photos with my Iphone and submit from my beach chair when I'm away in the summer,, and then kind of forget about it,  but I've decided to try to upload at least one a day for the rest of the year - or an average of 7 each week, and to add at least 7 here as well. 

2 sales there in the past 6 mos with 100 photos, so I think it is worth pursuing. And it's fun.  I upload both straight shots and some with filters from PS Express, Plastic Bullet and Snapseed.

Any other phone app folks recommend?

• Thanks 1

On 09/10/2019 at 14:53, Ed Rooney said:

Edo

@edo They always seem to like my food pix,,so I bet they'll LOVE yours.  Usually my highest scorers. And you don't need FTP,  just basic wifi should do the trick since you upload one at a time. The app has improved now too - it's started completing my words and phrases with correct suggestions. Uploads were much quicker with this AI help. Might be worth trying on days when uploading to the main site is tough with your hotel connection.  

I see taking photos with my iPhone as a complication. It's certainly not a way to simplify things.  

Let's say I'm walking around and I see a possible stock image. Do I capture it with my phone or my Sony? Both? I see this as a conflict, a way to complicate my shooting. It seems counterintuitive. And . . . I don't know, but my guess is there's not much money in phone photograph. ???

Now Live News I'm sure about. I will not be shooting or submitting any Live News. 

Marianne, I've solved the problem of uploading at this hotel; it works in the morning but not at night. 

17 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Let's say I'm walking around and I see a possible stock image. Do I capture it with my phone or my Sony? Both? I see this as a conflict, a way to complicate my shooting. It seems counterintuitive. And . . . I don't know, but my guess is there's not much money in phone photograph. ???

Take it with your Sony 90% of the time unless you're in a situation where being discrete is important and the Sony would be too conspicuous in which case go with the phone. Otherwise, I'd go with the best camera that you have with you at the time.. which is going to be the Sony. I take stock photos with my phone all the time.. but it's nearly always when I don't have one of my cameras with me.

Photos taken on a phone and uploaded via the "something" only earn the contributor 20% unless you were lucky enough to sign up at the very start compared with 40/50% (depending on exclusivity) via main Alamy. So yes, shots taken on a phone earn less than those taken on  a camera through the Alamy marketplace. With other agencies, this discrepancy in price doesn't exist.. but there again, they probably don't pay as much in the first place...

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

I see taking photos with my iPhone as a complication. It's certainly not a way to simplify things.  

Now Live News I'm sure about. I will not be shooting or submitting any Live News. 

Marianne, I've solved the problem of uploading at this hotel; it works in the morning but not at night. 

I see taking photos with my phone as a complication too. Mainly because there's still no support for Android phones.

Thanks, Matt. You've filled in the gaps and I will shut the door on using the iPhone for stock. Unless it's pouring rain, like now, I always have the RX100-6 with me. I will continue to use the iPhone for personal pictures. 😎

1 hour ago, Matt Ashmore said:
1 hour ago, Matt Ashmore said:

Photos taken on a phone and uploaded via the "something" only earn the contributor 20% unless you were lucky enough to sign up at the very start compared with 40/50% (depending on exclusivity) via main Alamy. 

Is that true even for people who were members of Alamy at the time it started? I honestly can't remember if I needed to do it right away. I know I did it and recommended that a friend who wasn't on Alamy get on right away so she would get the 40%. I don't do it extensively and I've only had two sales but they netted $51.25 total so not worse than Alamy. Anyway, if a long-time member of Alamy wants to think about Stockimo I think they should check with Alamy about what the commission would be.

Paulette

10 minutes ago, NYCat said:

Is that true even for people who were members of Alamy at the time it started? I honestly can't remember if I needed to do it right away. I know I did it and recommended that a friend who wasn't on Alamy get on right away so she would get the 40%. I don't do it extensively and I've only had two sales but they netted $51.25 total so not worse than Alamy. Anyway, if a long-time member of Alamy wants to think about Stockimo I think they should check with Alamy about what the commission would be.

Paulette

i remember when I signed up to both Alamy and Stockimo, I missed the cut-off by a few weeks and so only get 20% of the sale price.