Upload problem with both normal and ftp routes

35 minutes ago, Russell said:

God still loves you Ed, as do many contributors to this forum!

I'm convinced that this problem is all about network speed - and if your upload speed is too slow the upload will hang irrespective of whether you're using FTP of the Alamy process.

I assume that you are using your hotel wi-fi network, or perhaps the local coffe shop/pub, or even tethering to your mobile phone.

Try running a speedcheck app. If your UPLOAD speed (download is irrelevant) is less than say 1mbps try searching for a faster service - even moving to the hotel lobby may help.

If that doesn't work chat to your local phone shop. They may be able to advise you how to use your mobile phone (assuming that you have 4g) to tether your laptop, or offer a "dongle" which provides 4g/wifi connectivity either on a contract or pay as you go. Play the dumb tourist (I know you're not!) and I'm sure they will help.

Russell

I use a "Dongle" all the time on 4G. The wi-fi comes in handy too.  Relatively cheap at around £11/month on contract and it is quick.

The reason I use a "Dongle" all the time is that I take it with me when I leave home and can use it virtually anywhere.

Allan

Thanks, Russell. This has been a very difficult day. (You don't want to know.)

Yes, I am in a hotel with a Virgin connection and you're probably right about the WiFi. Unfortunately, I can't take on the project you've outlined. I'll still be shooting a bit and doing PP, but uploading may have to take a back seat for awhile.  

Edo

14 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Allan, do you think Dongle may come with the furnished flat they won't rent to me?

No! You will have to go to a phone shop and set up a contract with them. The Dongle usually comes free with a contract, or with a minimal charge with some phone companies.

Mine was free with 3. That is the phone company I use. I think it came with 15GB for £11/month. I think I have only exceeded that usage twice and that was when I was looking a lot of videos in a particular month.

Allan

Pardon me for jumping in... I am a newbie.  I have had so many problems uploading this week that I was beginning to despair.  I tried the web upload and loads timed out, then I tried FTP and they have been taking an eternity even though the software keeps them going.  Last night, I set up 40 images to upload.  Eight hours later only 4 had done so.  I can't believe that this is "normal" or even a temporary glitch.  I don't really know what to try other than just keep going. 

Sorry, that was more a letting off of steam than anything else.

Cheers

Graham

UPDATE: OK, I tried again and now the Web Upload has worked as smoothly as I could expect.

Edited by Utopian
Add update

5 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Back to the non-dongle part of this post . . . I have FileZilla all set and ready to go but what do I click on to send my images? This is a puzzlement.  

Ed;

Put the Alamy details in the 4 boxes at the top of the screen, then click on Quick connect - once that happens, locate the images you want to upload, select them all and then drag them to the right onto the "stock" button and upload should start!

Kumar

Thanks, Kumar. I'll try uploading a few snaps with FileZilla tonight. 

This morning I was able to upload a dozen with AIM. They moved slowly but they did move. I think Russell is right about my hotel connection being slow. 

Edo

18 hours ago, Utopian said:

Pardon me for jumping in... I am a newbie.  I have had so many problems uploading this week that I was beginning to despair.  I tried the web upload and loads timed out, then I tried FTP and they have been taking an eternity even though the software keeps them going.  Last night, I set up 40 images to upload.  Eight hours later only 4 had done so.  I can't believe that this is "normal" or even a temporary glitch.  I don't really know what to try other than just keep going. 

Sorry, that was more a letting off of steam than anything else.

Cheers

Graham

UPDATE: OK, I tried again and now the Web Upload has worked as smoothly as I could expect.

So, last night, I set the FTP transfer going on 91 images.  This morning I look and according to the FTP software all 91 have uploaded successfully.

When I look at the AIM, it says that there were three upload batches and overall 101 passed, 197 failed in processing.

As I say, I'm a newbie at this, can anyone explain these stats to me?

Thanks, Graham

14 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Okay, I uploaded a test of three images with FileZilla. The first try went astray. The second made it to QC. (That's as good as it gets with me and tech talk.)

Glad I’m not by myself with tech talk (or action).

Tech Talk is one thing -- Tech Do is something else. I talk bad and do worse. Painfully, slowly, intermittently, I get images uploaded to Alamy. But it ain't fun. 

Kumar and others have given me solutions to some of the mysteries of FileZilla but . . . there are 11 boxes to be dealt with and a typically strange digital vocabulary that seems to be ensuring confusion, at least for me. What's really odd is the fact that I've got it to work a few times in recent days and don't know how I did that. 

Meanwhile, AIM is working again. Sort of. I mean it works if you don't mind waiting for it to do so. And then there's the business of arbitrary images producing the red upload error. 

When does the fun begin? 

Edo

I haven't used it for Alamy but I have found Fetch to be friendly to ignorant folks like me. I think you tried it when you were having trouble because of your file names so you probably have it. Don't really know how it compares with Filezilla but thought I'd stick my nose in.

Paulette

And a heads up to Transmit too, it just works.

I remember my first Alamy upload, it was for Live News and I used Filezilla. I will never forget the nightmare, transmission error after error. It might have been nothing to do with Filezilla, but I couldn't take another chance, used the web upload until switching to Transmit a few months ago.

Edited by sb photos

I'm still having upload problems but here's something I found works in the past few weeks:

When I try to upload late at night with AIM, it is either moving very slowly or not at all. Then an image will be rejected.

But . . . if I wait for early morning, AIM works. ??? The hotel WiFi? Probably. 

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

I'm still having upload problems but here's something I found works in the past few weeks:

When I try to upload late at night with AIM, it is either moving very slowly or not at all. Then an image will be rejected.

But . . . if I wait for early morning, AIM works. ??? The hotel WiFi? Probably. 

Same here Edo, trying to upload yesterday from hotel wifi, got 'image rejected'. It was just impossible to upload. I then switched to my dongle, and uploaded like a dream.