New emoji options on upvote/downvote

I've just  begun to notice the emoji options on the upvote/downvote button on each forum post. A new feature unless, I've been asleep even more than usual.

I think I'm going to be more confused than ever. The Sad emoji looks more confused to me than sad. Does a sad emoji count as an upvote or a downvote? Does our reputation points increase by more than one  if we are awarded the 'Thanks' trophy? Is this just another way of enticing us to fritter away more of our time on-line rather than doing real work? And wouldn't it be really useful to have upvote/downvote emojis for puzzled and 'oh no, not again'?  😉

24 minutes ago, Joseph Clemson said:

I've just  begun to notice the emoji options on the upvote/downvote button on each forum post. A new feature unless, I've been asleep even more than usual.

I think I'm going to be more confused than ever. The Sad emoji looks more confused to me than sad. Does a sad emoji count as an upvote or a downvote? Does our reputation points increase by more than one  if we are awarded the 'Thanks' trophy? Is this just another way of enticing us to fritter away more of our time on-line rather than doing real work? And wouldn't it be really useful to have upvote/downvote emojis for puzzled and 'oh no, not again'?  😉

I would have thought Alamy has many more pressing matters to address than this trivialisation ...

Is Alamy in business or is it a social club?

It was a business at one point, but now it doesn't know what it is. That's why we are seeing people signing up thinking it's a social media platform, and 'customers' buying images of pills because they think they are getting mail-order drugs. Alamy has lost its identity.

Look at what happened to Maplin. They turned their back on their core clientele, the electronics enthusiasts ("makers") and became box-shifters trying to appeal to the general public with gadgets. It didn't work out well for them. 

And Alamy (presumably) tells them what they want: a business doesn't use an off-the-peg forum designed for consumers. An unintentional 'upgrade' may have accidentally slipped through (there has been instability in some of the available features lately), but that wouldn't bode well for security.

7 hours ago, DJ Myford said:

a business doesn't use an off-the-peg forum designed for consumers.

A film industry website I frequent does- an Invision template very similar to Alamy's and it's definitely not for consumers. They haven't got the new emojis, though.

I find the choice of emoji's that pops up from the menu bar when I'm posting totally bewildering. 400 smileys and people - give me a break! I can't even tell which face is supposed to be which or expressing what. They are so small. Oh I just discovered if I scroll right to the bottom there are the old emoticons that I recognise. Why are they at the bottom...

Yawn....

Mark

9 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

;):):rolleyes::P hello, old friends.

John, here’s your favorite one. B)

And Allan, here’s yours...:angry: :wub: lol! 

Edo, :ph34r::blink:

mine...:D:lol:

Well that makes me miss Philippe.

Paulette

23 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

Oh I just discovered if I scroll right to the bottom there are the old emoticons that I recognise. Why are they at the bottom...

Flippin' eck, I wondered where they'd all gone- I've been using the inferior ones for weeks.

Thanks for that.

Archived