Street Photography for stock?

Darren5907

Hi all,

I am trying to restart my Alamy stock photo. All of my photos so far have been nature macros. But I am interested in street photography and was wondering if street photographs are good for sales on stock photo sites like Alamy?? Any advice will be appreciated to kickstart this.Thank you!

I my opinion more chance for sales with street photography then macro. Go for it.

Worth a shot, I've sold quite a few street photographs over the years, just remember they'll have to be L if there are people or registered logos in the shots, which you don't have releases for

Maybe stupid question but what you mean with "L"' ?

Most of my stuff is street photography and it does sell occasionally, but, you need a lot of it as the market is highly saturated.

Turning the question around if I may......have you had any sales from your small portfolio but good quality nature photos?

Andy

Anyway the name "street photography" is very general. The one makes sales with that and the other not. It is about the topic. For example a love couple you can capture in the street but also in the mountains for example. You can take a image of a reading person at the bus stop or on the balcony.

So go to the streets and find the right topics.

Most of my stuff is street photography and it does sell occasionally, but, you need a lot of it as the market is highly saturated.

Turning the question around if I may......have you had any sales from your small portfolio but good quality nature photos?

Andy

hi Andy, I had a few sales. A dragonfly pic for a German newspaper, a butterfly photo for a book and a moth picture for a National Geographic children's book called Bugopedia.

Anyway the name "street photography" is very general. The one makes sales with that and the other not. It is about the topic. For example a love couple you can capture in the street but also in the mountains for example. You can take a image of a reading person at the bus stop or on the balcony.

So go to the streets and find the right topics.

hi Mirco, thanks for the advice. Agree that topics spring from exploration....

Worth a shot, I've sold quite a few street photographs over the years, just remember they'll have to be L if there are people or registered logos in the shots, which you don't have releases for

hi! Yes I expect there'll be many strangers in street photographs....can u elaborate on your point about the images having to be "L"?? Thanks!

Hi all,

I am trying to restart my Alamy stock photo. All of my photos so far have been nature macros. But I am interested in street photography and was wondering if street photographs are good for sales on stock photo sites like Alamy?? Any advice will be appreciated to kickstart this.Thank you!

I started doing this just a few years ago and found that, like most things, practice and experience helps. I am very much still learning!

You need the courage to stand there and shoot, and you also need to be able to pick a location with good light  and have the ability to recognise an attractive pattern formed by the people/objects within the shot. I tend to find a spot and pre-focus, relying on depth of field to get a result. I typically shoot with either a 28mm or 42mm equivalent focal length and generally have to take several shots in order to get one decent result.

Sometimes I will ask if I can take a person's photo, and mostly they agree, and actually those shots have sold rather better than those taken without the person's consent. Looking back over my sales in the last 12 months street shots do not form anything like a majority, but they do sell.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I started doing this just a few years ago and found that, like most things, practice and experience helps. I am very much still learning!

You need the courage to stand there and shoot, and you also need to be able to pick a location with good light  and have the ability to recognise an attractive pattern formed by the people/objects within the shot. I tend to find a spot and pre-focus, relying on depth of field to get a result. I typically shoot with either a 28mm or 42mm equivalent focal length and generally have to take several shots in order to get one decent result.

Sometimes I will ask if I can take a person's photo, and mostly they agree, and actually those shots have sold rather better than those taken without the person's consent. Looking back over my sales in the last 12 months street shots do not form anything like a majority, but they do sell.

Thanks Bryan!!

Sometimes i think what is in stock terms meaned with street photography? Does it include also images taken in supermarkets for example? Or shots of landmark including people? Because when i look at the portfolios from the highest earners here i see that almost all images are taken in the street or indoors of restaurants and other public places. If this all is street photography then it looks like it is a good subject. If somebody can explain it to me i would be very happy :).

Mirco

As you see, I'm in New York City, and since there's a lot of streets, I do street shooting.  Just yesterday I was assessing what categories of subjects have sold best for me over the past year.  I found I could put most everything into one of three subdivisions: landmarks, details and food. About 20% of my images have people in them. More than that would be better, I think.  Most everything of mine is RM and the people have not signed releases . . . nor have I asked them to do so.

By landmarks I mean bigger subjects that tourists might find interesting, but a wider selection than the Stock Exchange or the Empire State Building.  By details I mean closer in on something that might have a meaning, like construction workers, a street sign, or a window display.  Food can be produce in a market, a restaurant with people, a closeup of a pasta dish—anything that says food or drink.  

• 2 weeks later...

I am wondering about this as well as I like to do street photography once in a while. I do have some RM shots here, which are neither typical street shots nor snapshots, but more or less "documents", which I am trying to get more and better of as a personal project, but it is difficult.

Here I have what I think is a typical street shot and which I never would consider appropriate for uploading to Alamy, but maybe this is totally wrong (sorry for the big image, I do not have a smaller version online). I am not hesitant displaying these shots on the web and it theoretically is allowed where I live.

I would be grateful for advice if shots like this one can be uploaded as RM (but I would still feel very bad using e.g. this one), thanks.

7203225_v1.jpg?w=1280&h=964

I agree with spacecadet, and would upload it. The spread out photographer-photographee, which clearly stand out, create a focus for an appealing, useful street vista.

(If this was not taken on a slope, have you considered dragging it down at bit at the left?)

And I urge you to reconsider posting unwatermarked photos this large.

------------------------------------

sk0gr

"I am wondering about this as well as I like to do street photography once in a while. I do have some RM shots here, which are neither typical street shots nor snapshots, but more or less "documents", which I am trying to get more and better of as a personal project, but it is difficult.

Here I have what I think is a typical street shot and which I never would consider appropriate for uploading to Alamy, but maybe this is totally wrong (sorry for the big image, I do not have a smaller version online). I am not hesitant displaying these shots on the web and it theoretically is allowed where I live.

I would be grateful for advice if shots like this one can be uploaded as RM (but I would still feel very bad using e.g. this one), thanks."

I agree with spacecadet, and would upload it. The spread out photographer-photographee, which clearly stand out, create a focus for an appealing, useful street vista.

(If this was not taken on a slope, have you considered dragging it down at bit at the left?)

And I urge you to reconsider posting unwatermarked photos this large.

sk0gr

"I am wondering about this as well as I like to do street photography once in a while. I do have some RM shots here, which are neither typical street shots nor snapshots, but more or less "documents", which I am trying to get more and better of as a personal project, but it is difficult.

I would be grateful for advice if shots like this one can be uploaded as RM (but I would still feel very bad using e.g. this one), thanks."

Looking at the verticals I would be more inclined (no pun intended) to drag it down on the right.

Allan

Oh my goodness - Allan, of course you're correct! I was looking at the street at Right drifting up, but wrote Left.

And I urge you to reconsider posting unwatermarked photos this large

sk0gr

Looking at the verticals I would be more inclined (no pun intended) to drag it down on the right.

Allan

First of all: thanks for the feedback (should probably also say "hi" to forum)!

Interesting to hear that uploading would be ok. Well, I am re-thinking uploading such "private" moments photographed in public where this is allowed. After all, it shows what was there and the subjects talk for themselves. I think I myself would not mind finding an image of me like that on Alamy (after the first shock).

Ann:

I am not sure: do you mean there should be a watermark? If so: there is a watermark in the lower right and the jpeg is very low size. Same with video I post, visible compression artefacts. If that gets used as is, such users would not pay for use no matter what.

Hi, I've just returned from having my eyes dilated, so perhaps I'm missing something, but I don't see any watermark in lower right. I do see some numbers & letters below the image in lower left.

And it's 1400px × 1055px (scaled to 1221px × 920px) and around 451p, more than big enough for online use, even print.

Please take the above as compliment to your photo's value.

I try to base business decisions - including watermarking - on what works best in relation to real potential clients who license photos. But the fact that large percentage of people will not pay to use a photo, whatever the fee, is just one more reason I want my WATERMARKED photo to appear if it's going to pop up on google images.

And I appreciate it when image agencies use effective, informative watermarks, since it makes it easier to locate where to license photo + indicates to potential clients the agency takes the copyright end of business seriously.

First of all: thanks for the feedback (should probably also say "hi" to forum)!

Interesting to hear that uploading would be ok. Well, I am re-thinking uploading such "private" moments photographed in public where this is allowed. After all, it shows what was there and the subjects talk for themselves. I think I myself would not mind finding an image of me like that on Alamy (after the first shock).

Ann:

I am not sure: do you mean there should be a watermark? If so: there is a watermark in the lower right and the jpeg is very low size. Same with video I post, visible compression artefacts. If that gets used as is, such users would not pay for use no matter what.

I think it has a kind of humor about the traveller abroad, so would sell well for stock if it was in colour.

Black and white eliminates most stock clients. If a client wants a black and white they can always convert a colour shot to black and white

This image here was just something I was wondering about content-wise in terms of possibility using as stock, since 1. it shows people as main subject who are not aware of being photographed and 2. I have no release from the subjects.

Concerning why image is in B&W at all: sometimes (depending on light) I use filters that are not useful with color but give good B&W images and I just like to do that, but the output will always be B&W.

Also, when doing the conversion, it oftentimes emphasises aspects that are not that salient in color and hence the result is somewhat subjective. But that are, of course, just general issues and not really applicable to stock.

So thanks for pointing that out!! One really has to remind oneself to upload only stock and use other stuff elsewhere if possible (when submitting years ago, I was not thinking "stock"...).

Archived