Camera and Video snapshots

So I am planing on buying either a pocket camera for the on the go shots that I don't have time to pull out my primary camera but Im deciding which one I want.... 

I was considering something like the canon powershot G5 X or Fujifilm XF10... maybe the X100F on the outside

Will pictures from these pass QC?

Also the other option I was considering was buying a small camcorder... but if I get a high quality camcorder is it possible to extract stills that will pass QC?  Sometimes I think it would be easiest to just set up a video of fox babies for instance and just extract the stills I want from that video.  So is that a possibility?

Thanks

theres also the ricoh GR II which I am reading good things about

Ideally id not spend the 1000 for the X100F so Im trying to find a more reasonably priced camera 

I have a Canon G5X as my "point and shoot" when I don't take my Nikon D800 out with me. Images are good enough to pass QC - that was the main reason I bought it. I'm really happy with it, the zoom is ideal for travelling. I wouldn't use it for fast action such as sport, but for general use it is ideal.

Here is a link an image taken with it which has passed QC:- https://www.alamy.com/search.html?CreativeOn=1&adv=1&ag=0&all=1&creative=&et=0x000000000000000000000&vp=0&loc=0&qt=T58NM9&qn=&lic=6&lic=1&imgt=0&archive=1&dtfr=&dtto=&hc=&selectdate=&size=0xFF&aqt=&epqt=&oqt=&nqt=&gtype=0

David

See this recent detailed discussion of high quality compacts. The overwhelming majority goes for the Sony RX100 of which there are 6 variants. Sony have cashback offers on a lot of them at the moment as well which eventually convinced me to dive in last week for the RX100VA after I missed some really newsworthy shots by not having a camera on me (my iPhone camera is damaged). Anyway it is a truly astounding camera - tiny and excellent image quality considering the size of the sensor. I am a real stickler for quality by the way. Can highly recommend. The only question is which one to get.

• Love 1

I have recently bought a Ricoh GRii (I looked at the Sony RX100 as well - since I use the A7 as my main camera) as I needed a small compact to have on me at all times. The APSC sized sensor and snap focus was what sealed it for me, and I have to say that overall I am pretty impressed. I haven't had any photos captured with the Ricoh get through QC yet (I only posted my first batch a couple of hours ago) but I am not envisaging any problems.

14 hours ago, TRACHR said:

[Snip]...

Also the other option I was considering was buying a small camcorder... but if I get a high quality camcorder is it possible to extract stills that will pass QC?  Sometimes I think it would be easiest to just set up a video of fox babies for instance and just extract the stills I want from that video.  So is that a possibility?

Thanks

Nobody has yet addressed this part of the the question. I would like to as I'm interested in the answer too.  Conventionally, video is shot using the 180 degree shutter rule, which usually means (in the UK and other PAL countries) a frame rate of 25fps and 1/50 shutter speed. This would render many still frames with slight motion blur which might fail QC. I don't know if this is the case in actual practice with 4K video and I would be interested in the experience of 4K shooters in this respect.

Another aspect to the question is whether a still frame from a video makes a good photo. I shoot both and I usually try to avoid shooting stills and video at the same time. It seems to me like there is a slightly different mindset involved in composing and shooting video compared with shootings stills. I may not be able to explain that, but I do know that if I try to do both stills and video together, I have often ended up disappointed with the results of one or the other, sometimes both.

yeah, I wont make any choices till I can make an informed decision on both parts of my question...

and to make things even more annoying for me now I'm wondering if mirrorless would be compact enough for me lol

I'm using an older canon EOS T4i so mirrorless would be a huge step in the smaller direction in itself.  

So many choices.... although getting a base model of the rx100 or such just to keep in my car probably wouldn't be  a bad idea no matter what I choose in the end

Would suggest RX100 M3 as a starting point in this range.  Excellent lens. 

95% + of my 5000+ images were taken on a Sony RX100 M3 and more recently RX100 M6.  Check out my portfolio.

Not one QC failure and sales every month.

So how much do you guys trust Ebay?

looking at a Used V or VI depending on if I want the zoom or not   you can get a used V for about the same price as a III on amazon.... ofc you can get a III at a real nice price on ebay too lol

zoom wise im considering because a lot of the pictures I enjoy taking are of wild life... like that pesky woodpecker that flys away every damn time I pull out the dslr but if I could snap a picture faster ... well you get where Im going with that lol

So many decisions lol

So 2 more things...

If you were to choose between VA(or III even) and VI  which would you choose?   I know VI is bad indoors and without as much light but it has a superior zoom.... so in your opinions which would you prefer?

Also if you were to decide to spend enough to get the Vi... so  900ish  and you had been using a canon rebel t4i would you instead decide to upgrade to mirrorless or even a better rebel?  I do have some lenses for the canon so ideally I could stay in canon compatible.

As Joseph says, I don't think frame grabs from video, even HD, can possibly pass QC, even if they were sharp enough.. The pixel count is very low, especially when downsampled from a larger sensor.

HD is actually only 1080x1920- about 2MP. The minimum for Alamy is 6MP.

On 20/05/2019 at 12:14, David McGill said:

I have a Canon G5X as my "point and shoot" when I don't take my Nikon D800 out with me. Images are good enough to pass QC - that was the main reason I bought it. I'm really happy with it, the zoom is ideal for travelling. I wouldn't use it for fast action such as sport, but for general use it is ideal.

Here is a link an image taken with it which has passed QC:- https://www.alamy.com/search.html?CreativeOn=1&adv=1&ag=0&all=1&creative=&et=0x000000000000000000000&vp=0&loc=0&qt=T58NM9&qn=&lic=6&lic=1&imgt=0&archive=1&dtfr=&dtto=&hc=&selectdate=&size=0xFF&aqt=&epqt=&oqt=&nqt=&gtype=0

David

Ditto to that. I use my G5X far more than I use my DSLR's. Bought it (rather than the Sony) as I can use my Canon flashes on it. Literally hundreds of images on here, I'd highly recommend it.

Doubt at the moment you could get a video still through QC unless you were shooting 4K, perhaps not even then.

Edited by TeeCee

4 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

As Joseph says, I don't think frame grabs from video, even HD, can possibly pass QC, even if they were sharp enough.. The pixel count is very low, especially when downsampled from a larger sensor.

HD is actually only 1080x1920- about 2MP. The minimum for Alamy is 6MP.

A frame from a 4K would be more or less big enough (up to 4096 x 2304), but unless the shot was a lockdown on a relatively motion-free subject, I don't think there would be the sharpness required. 

Maybe the only way for me to be sure is to bite the bullet at invest in  a 4K video camera.

On 21/05/2019 at 02:45, TRACHR said:

So how much do you guys trust Ebay?

looking at a Used V or VI depending on if I want the zoom or not   you can get a used V for about the same price as a III on amazon.... ofc you can get a III at a real nice price on ebay too lol

Trusting eBay isn't the issue, it's can you trust an unknown buyer?

Send them questions about usage and condition, bid accordingly.

On 20/05/2019 at 02:12, TRACHR said:

So I am planing on buying either a pocket camera for the on the go shots that I don't have time to pull out my primary camera but Im deciding which one I want.... 

I was considering something like the canon powershot G5 X or Fujifilm XF10... maybe the X100F on the outside

Will pictures from these pass QC?

Thanks

You could use the 24 fps with full continous  af,, if it's not about the video, but the stills.

Otherwise if it is about the video, but you would like to have a better quality still than a frame:

https://helpguide.sony.net/dsc/1750/v1/en/contents/TP0001138325.html

I have never tried this myself, but it looks as it's jpg only at 17 megapixel & XFine. (This is how I read the 17M  from the menu.)

Both the buffer and the AF in the  M6 have improved over the M5: AFAIK the AF is not continuous in burst on the M5.

wim

so on amazon you can get international models. do you have any idea what that means other than it being from another country lol?   I live in the US... so other than the obvious of shipping from somewhere else does this have any ramifications I should know about?

I'm probably going to go with the III to start with and use the rest of my money to save up for either a good macro lens or even an upgrade for my t4i  get better than the 18MP my current camera has up to maybe the t6i for the 24...  maybe even find something that performs better at higher ISOs