Nikon EN EL15 Battery replacement

I use a Nikon D800 with two batteries.  

One of batteries now reached 3 in Battery Age (0-4), so any day it will become 4 and I will need a replacement.
No camera shops seem to stock these batteries any more and I am reluctant to buy the replacement from either eBay or Amazon.

Then I came across DuracellDirect.co.uk where they sell Duracell DRNEL15 replacement for Nikon EN EL15.

My question is

1. Has anyone ever used this Duracell replacement battery before (for any DSLRs)?
  2. Duracell replacement is 7.4V 1600 mAh whereas Nikon EN EL15 is 7.0V 1900mAh.  Does this difference matter?

Any experience or advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Sung

I too have bought replacement batteries from ebay and not had a problem - not sure what type and I am not about to unload my cameras but they were for the D3200 and D7200 - different batteries both worked (work) fine.

I use a Nikon EN-EL3e in my Nikon D300 and have bought third party battery packs in the past, but found they don`t seem to last as long... but, have not tried the Duracell replacement.

Just came across this from Nikon support... it`s a couple of years old, but might explain why you can`t find one available.

https://www.nikonimgsupport.com/eu/BV_article?articleNo=000006311&configured=1&lang=en_GB

Here`s a website that supplies replacement Nikon batteries.

https://www.bristolcameras.co.uk/p-nikon-en-el15-lithium-ion-rechargeable-battery.htm

I've never bought spare Nikon EN-EL15 batteries. I have a Nikon D7100 that's had very high use, a D7200 around a year old and two D750's, my currently used kit. All use the EN-EL15. The D7100's original battery died after about 2 years, suddenly wouldn't take any charge. Four 7 Day Shop batteries bought at the same time as the D7100 are still going strong. I also have 4 EXpro 2200 mAh batteries bought from eBay, these have been excellent. Two Topmax batteries that came with a grip would be OK for an emergency, but don't give Stella performance as the others. I thought it odd a Nikon battery, not a fake, came from WEX with the D7100, died so early. 

I've seen the Duracell batteries for sale, but don't know anyone that has said they use them. My concern is their capacity is less than the Nikon's, and as they deteriorate with use, their life in the camera will become noticeably less. I you don't shoot a lot in a day or are not away from somewhere to charge for days their lower capacity is unlikely to be a problem.

The  EN-EL15b batteries are available and are backward compatible with the D800. They are more expensive than third party batteries of course but buying third party may be false economy. They are available from WEX for just short of £70 and just short of £65 from the London Camera Exchange, for example. 

Are you removing the batteries from the camera when it is not being used for a while by the way? That is what is generally recommended.

1 hour ago, MDM said:

The  EN-EL15b batteries are available and are backward compatible with the D800. They are more expensive than third party batteries of course but buying third party may be false economy. They are available from WEX for just short of £70 and just short of £65 from the London Camera Exchange, for example. 

Are you removing the batteries from the camera when it is not being used for a while by the way? That is what is generally recommended.

https://www.nikon.co.uk/en_GB/product/accessories/mirrorless/mirrorless-power/batteries/rechargeable-li-ion-battery-en-el15b

wim

Regular new Duracell batteries (AAA) exploded in my iMac keyboard and destroyed it. A week before some exploded in my TV remote (but that I was able to open and clean - the defective batteries sealed my keyboard shut). Personally, I'll never buy a Duracell battery of any sort ever again. Just my two cents. (I bought them at one of the major office supply stores, so they should not have been the counterfeit ones which I've heard can be a big problem). 

I'd stick with the manufacturer or a reputable third party brand. I have two Sony batteries that die out in hours and bought RAVpower ones that last twice as long or even much longer. I read the reviews, love that their charger works with a USB cord so I can power them up in my car or with a battery pack, and the charger does two batteries at a time and finishes faster than one in the Sony charger. They are a US company and have favorable reviews by wirecutter and others. I've had them for just over a year and they still get a full charge. If you can't find a Nikon replacement, I'd check them out. 

5 hours ago, wiskerke said:

Yes that is a very good price and I think it includes shipping (UPS I think). I bought an extension ring direct from Nikon recently and it arrived a few days later,  shipped from Holland in fact. It seems all Nikon stuff into the UK actually comes from Holland. I wonder how long it will take and what the duty will be after a no-deal Brexit  😟

Thank you very much everyone for sharing experiences and advice, you have been as always very helpful.

Recently, I have been using Live View a lot, hence my batteries are getting knackered.

Thank you for the link, Wim.  Yes, you are right, MDM. I had better hurry just in case.  

Slightly off the topic, my EN EL3e batteries (D300, my backup) will not charge beyond approx 70%.  Any advice, please?

Sung 

12 minutes ago, Alex Ramsay said:

Have recently bought a new EL-15a to add to the EN-EL15 that came with my secondhand D800E - got it for £60 from London Camera Exchange, who say they have limited stocks.

Alex

Thanks for your info. Nice to know it is still available in certain shops.

Sung

The only functional difference that I am aware of between the a and the b is that the latter can be charged in the camera through USB - I think it only works with the Z-series mirrorless cameras.

On 05/03/2019 at 15:39, Sharon said:

I use a Nikon EN-EL3e in my Nikon D300 and have bought third party battery packs in the past, but found they don`t seem to last as long... but, have not tried the Duracell replacement.

Just came across this from Nikon support... it`s a couple of years old, but might explain why you can`t find one available.

https://www.nikonimgsupport.com/eu/BV_article?articleNo=000006311&configured=1&lang=en_GB

Here`s a website that supplies replacement Nikon batteries.

https://www.bristolcameras.co.uk/p-nikon-en-el15-lithium-ion-rechargeable-battery.htm

That's disconcerting, I hadn't heard about the recall.  Thanks for posting the notice Sharon.  I went and checked my battery and it's not on the recall list, phew.

Maria

I have only bought one EN-EL3 battery during the last three years and all four of my OEM batteries still work

exactly as they did when new.  I use my 800's daily and rotate my batteries.  Guess I've had good luck?

Hey, can someone tell me how to add a banner photo to my Alamy about me page?  Plus I've grown a beard

due to a really bad skiing accident, did a "face plant on ice"

Chuck

I've just taken delivery of this Powerextra kit - two batteries and a double USB charger for £24.99.  It seems to have mostly good reviews and for 25 quid it seemed worth a punt - certainly the charger will be handy in the campervan.   Off to Scotland soon so I'll report on them when I get back.

EN-EL15 Powerextra 2 x batteries and Charger with LCD Display

Archived