Fall in Alamy Images

10 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

I wonder where Geogphotos (do I have that right?) went. He had a very large collection. What a shame. That said, I support everyone’s choices. 

Afaik his images are still here. Geogphotos & geogphoto. Could be these are awaiting deletion of course.

Before he left the forum he did say he was putting an amount (was it 3000 images?) on a certain micro.

Maybe Google could find that?

wim

1 hour ago, wiskerke said:

Afaik his images are still here. Geogphotos & geogphoto. Could be these are awaiting deletion of course.

Before he left the forum he did say he was putting an amount (was it 3000 images?) on a certain micro.

Maybe Google could find that?

wim

I'll leave that to you, wim. :P

I can understand how those with very large, non-exclusive collections must be upset about the commission changes. It means a substantial drop in income for them. However, they probably wouldn't remove their collections after investing so much time and effort. Even if some did, it wouldn't, as wim suggested, make much of a dent.

So what is making that dent?  

I mean it is the sort of thing that is going to interest us and which we should perhaps know about as it is likely to have some sort of impact on us.  It could be a good impact (if they are cleaning out images which should not have been accepted - unfortunately, there are some) it could be a more negative one.

12 hours ago, David eastley said:

Anyone else noticed that a few months ago Alamy had 159 million images but today they are down to 152.5 million.That is a big loss.

Today, it's showing 153,460,042 images here in Vancouver, so perhaps we're all seeing different numbers depending on locale.

38 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

Today, it's showing 153,460,042 images here in Vancouver, so perhaps we're all seeing different numbers depending on locale.

It's showing the same figure (153,460,042) for me in the UK. I'm not sure when  David saw the 152.5 million, I haven't seen it go quite as low as that.

Something to consider is the fact that the image count has always gone up. Since every day new images are being uploaded, yet the overall number is dropping, then for certain more images are being withdrawn or accounts closed than we can tell.

Say Alamy has 1000 images (for simplicity sake)

We see the number drop by 100 the next day.  Total now 900.

Yet 75 new images were uploaded during that time.

The new number should be 975, (900 + 75) but it’s only 900, so the images dropped weren’t 100,  but 175.

My brain hurts. I surely got my math wrong! :D

Betty

9 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Something to consider is the fact that the image count has always gone up. Since every day new images are being uploaded, yet the overall number is dropping, then for certain more images are being withdrawn or accounts closed than we can tell.

Say Alamy has 1000 images (for simplicity sake)

We see the number drop by 100 the next day.  Total now 900.

Yet 75 new images were uploaded during that time.

The new number should be 975, (900 + 75) but it’s only 900, so the images dropped weren’t 100,  but 175.

My brain hurts. I surely got my math wrong! :D

Betty

A related question though is why did the number of images go up so much year on year?

There are some contributors who have a very streamlined operation and 100% dedication, and can maybe add 10,000 images per year. I don't think my process is particularly inefficient, but getting an additional 2000 new images per year on sale is challenging. And even then, if I was more ruthless with similars the number per year would be lower. I don't believe that the bulk of the increase in images at Alamy over recent years is from contributors taking and uploading new images.

So where are the other images coming from? Is it from collections that exist elsewhere and are then uploaded in bulk to Alamy? If it is then large numbers of images can disappear as rapidly as they appeared in the first place. From an Alamy contributor perspective it's not something that I'm concerned about.

6 minutes ago, Keith Douglas said:

So where are the other images coming from? Is it from collections that exist elsewhere and are then uploaded in bulk to Alamy? If it is then large numbers of images can disappear as rapidly as they appeared in the first place. From an Alamy contributor perspective it's not something that I'm concerned about.

Yes, collections, I also think.

No, more pleased than concerned.

Archived