Opted out of PU so Alamy sells one of my pics as PU...

As the title suggests, I'm opted out of PU so this morning a sale drops in as PU - go figure.  Alamy, sort this out, you're entering a new level of stupid and alienating your contributors.

Image ID: RB9CBF

Usage: Personal use, Personal prints, cards and gifts. Non-commercial use only, not for resale.
Media: Non-commercial, one time, personal/home use
Start: 25 January 2019
End: 25 January 2024

A year or so ago we had a novel use sale even though we have never been in the novel use scheme.

Alamy told me that as the image had already been used they had no option but to honour the license.

But Alamy ‘kindly’ waived their  50% commission so we got the full amount........  $2.68

I'm not sure how the buyer has managed that. I've just gone through the motions of  buying  the same image for PU usage and when PU is selected the 'download' button is dimmed and can't be clicked. I haven't gone so far as putting the image in a lightbox and trying to buy from there, which may behave differently,  but on the face of it, your PU op-out seems to be working. Puzzle.:mellow:

3 hours ago, Joseph Clemson said:

I'm not sure how the buyer has managed that. I've just gone through the motions of  buying  the same image for PU usage and when PU is selected the 'download' button is dimmed and can't be clicked. I haven't gone so far as putting the image in a lightbox and trying to buy from there, which may behave differently,  but on the face of it, your PU op-out seems to be working. Puzzle.:mellow:

I suppose the PU sale could have been through a distributor if the OP is in the distribution scheme.

20 minutes ago, Cryptoprocta said:

Lucky you - mine seem to be in the $10 - $12 range (gross).

I hope Colblimp has contacted Alamy directly about this.

I've had a number of $19.99 ones. However, my latest one in January was in the price range you mention. It was refunded this past week, almost a month later, which was aggravating since the buyer has now gotten the image for free. This is the first time this has happened. If I see more refunds, I'll consider opting out as well. There should be no refunds given on PU or presentation sales IMO.

3 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

I've had a number of $19.99 ones. However, my latest one in January was in the price range you mention. It was refunded this past week, almost a month later, which was aggravating since the buyer has now gotten the image for free. This is the first time this has happened. If I see more refunds, I'll consider opting out as well. There should be no refunds given on PU sales IMO.

I agree, John... there shouldn`t be refunds on PU.  I opted out of PU on some images I have for sale as prints on FAA, otherwise I feel I`m competing with myself.  Anything else, for now, I`ve opted in.

" There should be no refunds given on PU or presentation sales IMO."  Please keep hammering away on this point to Alamy Management.  They seem to prefer that this issue just go away.  I had three PU sales refunded after two months.  In my case I think Alamy gave the only acceptable explanation: the images had been purchased through the fraudulent use of someone else's credit card.  I agree that that deserved to be refunded, but normally I believe no refund should be given after seven days.  That's plenty enough time for a buyer to recognize they've made a mistake.  In my case, the card owner got his money back but the fraudulent purchaser has my images.

13 hours ago, Cryptoprocta said:

Lucky you - mine seem to be in the $10 - $12 range (gross).

From Alamy:

“PU sales are different prices depending on country. In the UK they are £9.99 ($12.23) and in the US they are $19.99.”

16 hours ago, Thyrsis said:

From Alamy:

“PU sales are different prices depending on country. In the UK they are £9.99 ($12.23) and in the US they are $19.99.”

They must have a wide range or prices. The last PU sale I had was $11.04, as was my most recent presentation sale. A PU sold in Nov was $12.39 ... and other prices are all over the place, so presumably many different prices over different countries.

And so I had a PU sale of the front of a UK shoe shop to the USA or another country where the cost is $19.99. Hmmmm.

• 1 month later...

I finally received an email from Alamy about this:

Hi Andy

Apologies for the delay with this, our IT team have explained this was a bug, we are still looking into the specifics but our IT team have assured us this won’t happen again.

Of course we will give you 100% of the sale of image RB9CBF.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks,
Shelley

20 minutes ago, losdemas said:

Honest error, then. Owned up, admitted to, paying you full whack, assurances that it won't happen again. Not a lot more they can do really? I'd be happy with that. 

Agreed - I'm happy with the response.

1 hour ago, Colblimp said:

Hi Andy

Apologies for the delay with this, our IT team have explained this was a bug, we are still looking into the specifics but our IT team have assured us this won’t happen again.

Thanks,
Shelley

Not sure that I believe Alamy’s ‘excuses’ and ‘honest errors’ any more. When this happened to us Alamy said ‘...although you are opted out of novel use, this image was included in error and has been purchased.’  This should NOT be able to happen. 

We got 100% of the sale in compensation. Less than $3. 

4 hours ago, Colblimp said:

Hi Andy

Thanks,
Shelley

Thanks for feeding back.

On 27/01/2019 at 08:48, Thyrsis said:

From Alamy:

Why should this be the case, such a wide difference.

Archived