Annoying aspect of refund

48 minutes ago, Brasilnut said:

Just had a refund, which is no big deal, but the pic has obviously been published! wtf!

https://www.ft.com/content/be8052f8-6db8-11e9-a9a5-351eeaef6d84

Santa Lucia station, Venice © Alamy

Can't see the picture on that link as its behind the Financial Times paywall. However, if there's no possibility that the image has been sold previously and is being reused under an RF licence, then contact Alamy. They will be able to say if the refund was for the FT usage or someone else entirely.

8 hours ago, Brasilnut said:

Just had a refund, which is no big deal, but the pic has obviously been published! wtf!

https://www.ft.com/content/be8052f8-6db8-11e9-a9a5-351eeaef6d84

Santa Lucia station, Venice © Alamy

I too had a refund yesterday for an FT usage which I found being used.  I suspect it will be reinstated on Monday with a different date or higher fee?  I found the use using Google Image thing and have a screen grab.  

I agree that if Alamy bend their own rules, while a few month's grace period might arguably be reasonable, after 10 month Alamy should absorb the loss , not us.

Most magazines that commission an article and/or photos pay a "kill fee" of 50% (sometimes more) of the agreed-upon price if it does not go to press.

We should be able to rely on the terms of the contract, as written. If Alamy want to waive those terms and refund a sale which has already cleared and been paid to the photographer, giving clients an unlimited grace period, then there should be a "kill fee" equal to at least our portion of the contract price, letting Alamy refund only their share to the client and letting us keep our portion of the fee. If they want to give the client back more than their share of the fee after the time for a refund has expired, then they should absorb that loss. 

If we want to license images through Alamy, we must unilaterally agree to their contract terms. When they seek to take back funds rightfully paid to us under the written contract with the buyer because they have chosen to waive the terms of the contract, then they are not living up to their side of the bargain. 

The red arrows hurt the person trying to simply explain Alamy's rationale. If you disagree with the rationale, then say so, but don't shoot the messenger. 

Edited by Marianne
  • Like 4

On 22/01/2019 at 13:41, NYCat said:

Red arrow person keeping me busy giving green. What is the point of this?

Paulette

The business about book projects being cancelled because of lack of first printing orders is real enough.  Another thing that publishers can do is cancel a book if the writer is way behind deadline.  If these publishers are otherwise good clients, Alamy is likely to want to keep the client happy in expectation of future sales. 

Report any usage that's despite a refund. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Kathy deWitt said:

I too had a refund yesterday for an FT usage which I found being used.  I suspect it will be reinstated on Monday with a different date or higher fee?  I found the use using Google Image thing and have a screen grab.  

Yes, perhaps I was a bit premature to criticise (especially publicly on Twitter), but you know what I feel like so many of these agencies are taking the piss. Canva, Getty and SS come to mind. 

Won't get into details here on shady dealing, as well as I look at Alamy in a much more positive light, but we must hold all agencies accountable and encourage others to also publicly call out bad behaviour. 

Will comment if/when the sale is re-instated. 

Edited by Brasilnut

18 hours ago, Kathy deWitt said:

Same here pic used in FT, will flag this Monday if another sale is not reinstated. I have not normally experienced a gap like this between refund and resale?

Craig.

On 14/07/2019 at 15:26, Craig Yates said:

Same here pic used in FT, will flag this Monday if another sale is not reinstated. I have not normally experienced a gap like this between refund and resale?

Craig.

Still no replacement sale so awaiting response from contributor relations.