DACs - Alamy or DIY?

I've tried to get some interest in this in another thread, but to no avail, so trying again with a new title.

In order to get a handle on the benefits or otherwise of doing your own DACs claim it would be useful to have some meaningful comparative data.

This is never going to be easy, so many different styles and markets etc, but nevertheless....

DACs payments are based upon your sales history, not necessarily what you have achieved in a given year, so I feel that it is important to look at your gross overall income from your day one with Alamy.

It is also important that we restrict this analysis to those contributors who work exclusively with Alamy - although we can forget about the odd personal sale or print sales. (Clearly if you are making the  majority of your sales elsewhere you won't be wanting Alamy to make your claim!)

So, in my case my DACs income this year was 0.61% of my total gross income over my entire time with Alamy and I had Alamy do it for me.

For the record, I was very happy with that, but maybe I'll not be if I see what others are achieving who make their own claim!

How about you?

I am sorry, but I cannot really see the use of this percentage, as I have only been included in the DACS the last three or maybe four years.

But the figures could be read directly from the dashboard in no time - and the percentage of total gross income is 0.64% (this years DACS income) - and I expect that Alamy will do it for me the coming years as well.

Dead easy to make a direct claim, providing you can find some alamy sales in books.

Searching Google books for you pseudonym/alamy will give you the titles and ISBN no's

The only part alamy claim for me is the TV uses, as it basically impossible to find those, unless you happen to see one on the screen

As with everything, it's diminishing returns. Used to be nearly double what it is now, as more people claim.

Posted by Rob Cook

Good question Bryan.  I claim myself as best I can with mostly RF images and seem to be under-performing relative to you.

I have a gross of about $120,000 USD and got about $211 USD for last year.  That's only 0.18%.

57 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

I question the relevance of the entire gross as well, but, as you wish, just under 1%, self.

Wow, for me that would be almost $1200.  Is that reasonable?

Maybe you're right and the total number of sales would be more relevant.  For me that's 1,462.  So my percentage of DACS amount to # sales would be 14%.  That sounds better :P

12 minutes ago, Reimar said:

Wow, for me that would be almost $1200.  Is that reasonable?

Maybe you're right and the total number of sales would be more relevant.  For me that's 1,462.  So my percentage of DACS amount to # sales would be 14%.  That sounds better :P

You mean this year's DACS in dollars divided by total volume of sales? 31%. 31 cents/sale, assuming sterling at USD 1.4.

This year's DACS was only about 0.29% of my total gross income.

I  have feeling that this probably isn't such a valuable indicator for those of us based outside of the UK in that we don't make a lot of UK sales (at least I don't).

I've always been a DIY guy, but I'm not sure what I'll do this year.

If you only sell through Alamy then its probably best to let Alamy do it for you because

1. You cannot get the most valuable TV licences without their input.

2. The sales info may allow you to determine numbers of books and mags but will not give you info to match against CLA (but you don't know if Alamy actually do this!) 

3. For most people its not a huge amount and under the new CLA rules which will eventually control 50% of pot it will decrease.

4 Alamy are making it deliberately difficult for anybody to collect DACS.

regen

11 hours ago, regen said:

If you only sell through Alamy then its probably best to let Alamy do it for you because

1. You cannot get the most valuable TV licences without their input.

2. The sales info may allow you to determine numbers of books and mags but will not give you info to match against CLA (but you don't know if Alamy actually do this!) 

3. For most people its not a huge amount and under the new CLA rules which will eventually control 50% of pot it will decrease.

4 Alamy are making it deliberately difficult for anybody to collect DACS.

regen

TV aside, of which I have none, I can tell which of my images will qualify for DACS because they''re nearly all RM and I have enough licence information. I can identify the great majority of them, so all I am losing out on are the direct ISSN/ISBN matches that I can't identify. There are very few if any of those.

6 hours ago, geogphotos said:

If I was to allow Alamy to claim for me I would have no idea how much effort they would put into researching ISBN numbers going back to 2002.

My suspicion is that they would simply take 50% of what I can already claim.

My overall feeling is that DACS is just another thing that has been turned into something of a rip-off and that since I can't do anything I might as well not get too upset or concerned.

It is just the way the capitalist world is to want to squeeze every income stream to the detriment of creators/workers and to the advantage of companies/organisations.

Hear Hear. :(

Archived