Stock Photography workshop - April 4 2019

RedSnapper

It's the time of year where i start the process of gathering interest in my annual Stock Photography One-Day Workshop.

Taking place in Cirencester, in the hear of the Cotswolds, on Saturday 4 April 2019 - a full on day  to get you up to speed with stock photography at Alamy, and to give you a few insights into the way that I work.

Hopefully we will again have representatives from Alamy and LiveNews on hand for an hour or so Q+A over lunch

Contact me for more information and/pr to be put on the mailing list for this event

KM

A group of photographers sitting around a table editing and processing  their digital photographs (made in the small Stock PhotoCirencester England UK, Saturday 07 April 2018  Keen photographers taking part in the annual Alamy Stock Photography workshop under the tuition of professional photographer Keith Morris, in Cirencester in the heart of the English Cotswolds    photo © Keith Morris / Alamy Live News Stock Photo

14 hours ago, Starsphinx said:

I am definitely interested - and Cirencester is not too far from me.  Not sure how I contact you though as there is no PM service

Keith's contact details are on his website.

- sorry to butt in Ian, but can't we leave Alamy to what they are supposed to do and solely should focus on i.e. license images (yes please to adding video though) and earn us some wonga. Any education notion you have you are free to carry out in the forum or elsewhere. If contributors need education there are many places offering that, I'm sure they give Alamy a discount code to dole out. 

Keith's workshop seems mutual beneficial to attending contributors and Alamy, but for Alamy to stretch any educational initiatives beyond that would IMHO only steal resources away from where they are supposed to be spent i.e. license images/earn us wonga. That said you're (or any contrib) are of course free to attend any interesting workshop or hold one yourself just to be nice or to earn. I just don't believe in a stock library branching out in an increasingly competitive market landscape - the focus should be razor sharp at this moment in time.

11 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

With respect I think that is fairly narrow point of view and sort of contradicted by the amount of time/money/ effort that Alamy spend on social media, the forum, blogs, photography events etc

Better images coming in from better informed contributors would surely be a sound business move. They also attend in person and support Resnapper's events but Keith can't cover the entire globe!

It doesn't make sense to have 100% of staff effort in the sales department alone!

There are easier solutions - curation, curated collections, increase the threshold for acceptance. IMHO I don't think it is wise for a stock library to branch out into educating their contributors - those coming here should be ready for it or have the drive to get to the level on their own (everything is at your fingertips now-a-days as well as between your ears).

The social media expenditure you mention I think is more about brand awareness - getting the Alamy name into as many buyer's heads as possible, as well as into as many GOOD photographer's heads too. Don't see how this compares to the education you mentioned - "a global training programme" - ouch sounds very expensive and resource intensive! 

Anyway - I say Alamy should hyper focus on core business, you say branch out. Middle ground would be offering/facilitating discounts codes at places such as Kelby Training and similar, or also supporting other "Keiths" :) 

10 hours ago, RedSnapper said:

With 145m images Alamy hardly need any help in getting people recruited

What is needed though is help for those contributors to make the best they can out of  Alamy and the tools and resources provided...

km

Unrelated. Don't know if you use some automatic/batch keywording (or auto fill in LR), but on a number of your images that come up on your page 1 when I follow the link from the forum - the keyword "United Kingdom" is misspelt as "United Kindom", missing the G.

1 hour ago, Martin Carlsson said:

Unrelated. Don't know if you use some automatic/batch keywording (or auto fill in LR), but on a number of your images that come up on your page 1 when I follow the link from the forum - the keyword "United Kingdom" is misspelt as "United Kindom", missing the G.

United Kindom actually turns up on 5,454 images when searching on pseudo plus United Kindom.

To bring it back on topic

Early bird bookings - made by the end of 2018 - will get a 10% discount on the normal price. Making it £135 rather than £150

To make bookings , or for any enquires you can email :

training@artx.co.uk

km

57 minutes ago, funkyworm said:

I am seeing many ......suppliers looking for ways to survive

Exactly......running workshops is one way.

Attending workshops and lerning new skills is another

km

www.artswebwales.com
training@artx.co.uk

That's not happening.....but the one i run in Cirencester is...

To drag it back to what the thread is about

Any enquiries and questions, please contact me on training@artx.co.uk

and have a look at the page for last year's course for a n outline of what the day is about

https://www.abbeyphotoschool.co.uk/alamy-sales-seminar

km

I can highly recommend this course to anyone who is new to the Stock Photography game. Thats me in the top photo, left foreground, blue t-shirt, when I attended the course a couple of years ago. Learnt so much on the day, in fact one of the photos I took on the day has sold multiple times.

No one, if anyone, knows Stock Photography as well as Keith, and the information and guidance you'll get on the day is invaluable. Worth every penny.

3 minutes ago, Rob C said:

I can highly recommend this course to anyone who is new to the Stock Photography game. Thats me in the top photo, left foreground, blue t-shirt, when I attended the course a couple of years ago. Learnt so much on the day, in fact one of the photos I took on the day has sold multiple times.

No one, if anyone, knows Stock Photography as well as Keith, and the information and guidance you'll get on the day is invaluable. Worth every penny.

Thanks for that Rob!  Hope the image that sells has  paid for the course by now!  (I wonder what it was - did I set you the task of making images that were not about Cirencester??)

km

6 hours ago, RedSnapper said:

Thanks for that Rob!  Hope the image that sells has  paid for the course by now!  (I wonder what it was - did I set you the task of making images that were not about Cirencester??)

km

Keith, I was non-Cirencester. An image I took walking between the venue and the town centre. Whenever there's a story about a certain organisation in the news, it often sells. 

• 4 months later...

Just to ressurect this thread.....

For anyone wanting an intensive day  of presentations , discussion and hands-on practical training on all aspects of shooting stock for Alamy, then my popular one-day workshop will be happening again this year in the beautiful Cotswolds's town of Cirencester on the 4th of May (which, i've just realized, will be Star Wars day....)

km

• 3 weeks later...

Archived