IanButty

Is it possible to make a living out of stock photography any more?

Thanks to all your advice, I have spent the last week editing my descriptions. I have tested out my new wording. When I put "Mayan elder Mexico" my pic came up second on the page. However when I put "Sinclair C5" neither of my images were listed at all. Despite both having the phrases "sinclair" and "C5". Of the 2 pages shown as results half where of abandoned factories. Where am I going wrong? 

18 minutes ago, Steviebuoy said:

Thanks to all your advice, I have spent the last week editing my descriptions. I have tested out my new wording. When I put "Mayan elder Mexico" my pic came up second on the page. However when I put "Sinclair C5" neither of my images were listed at all. Despite both having the phrases "sinclair" and "C5". Of the 2 pages shown as results half where of abandoned factories. Where am I going wrong? 

Start by making "Sinclair C5" a tag, rather than just "Sinclair" & "C5" as separate tags.

6 minutes ago, losdemas said:

Start by making "Sinclair C5" a tag, rather than just "Sinclair" & "C5" as separate tags.

Thanks for that, I will bear that in mind when I go back over all my images.

18 hours ago, Steviebuoy said:

Your two images are on the results page for "sinclair c5". In fact they're higher than mine and I probably have the higher ranking, having had sales on Alamy for years, though not on those images.

1 hour ago, spacecadet said:

Your two images are on the results page for "sinclair c5". In fact they're higher than mine and I probably have the higher ranking, having had sales on Alamy for years, though not on those images.

Ouch! Still, probably best not to mess with tags/captions if you're happy with what you have (I haven't looked, BTW): the changes that seem to happen with the search engine algorithm every now and again, along with the median ranking that likely applies to Steviebuoy's C5 images will likely even themselves out in time. 

Unless you're really on top of these things (and I most definitely am not!) then it's probably best to leave well alone or risk long-term damage to ranking? 

3 hours ago, losdemas said:

Ouch! Still, probably best not to mess with tags/captions if you're happy with what you have (I haven't looked, BTW): the changes that seem to happen with the search engine algorithm every now and again, along with the median ranking that likely applies to Steviebuoy's C5 images will likely even themselves out in time. 

Unless you're really on top of these things (and I most definitely am not!) then it's probably best to leave well alone or risk long-term damage to ranking? 

Good news that it is now working. I immediately updated my tags after the first advice. I’m now on the Costa Brava for a week. Bearing in mind previous comments I hope to find something a little more abstract than beaches and sunsets. 

On 10/13/2017 at 09:45, Aylish said:

3 years experience in photography means I'm not a newbie to the subject, even if i'm a newbie to the forum and alamy.

Aylish

3 years experience?!!!  Wow!  I've 27 years experience, for what it's worth...

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, Steviebuoy said:

........... I immediately updated my tags after the first advice. I’m now on the Costa Brava for a week............

Blimey, those sales must have come in quick! :D

John.

On 10/15/2017 at 21:20, Colblimp said:

3 years experience?!!!  Wow!  I've 27 years experience, for what it's worth...

Yes I got my first camera 40 years ago (giving away that I am old). 

On 10/13/2017 at 09:45, Aylish said:

Deary me people really do get hot under the collar about advice and criticism. (I can see why Philippe left) why  are you even on here if you can't take it eh?

Search engine optimization it's been talked about quite a bit on here. I know similars when i see them and people on here will say the same thing.

Taking a photograph of something from a diagonal composition close up and then walking away a bit and taking the same image is a duplicate. I don't see why pseudo makes any difference. thought it was if you had multiple people using your account to upload photos. Then each person would be under their own name.

3 years experience in photography means I'm not a newbie to the subject, even if i'm a newbie to the forum and alamy.

Your welcome to criticize and give me advice on my photos/Keywords (I won't get upset) :) I have changed my tone since my previous forum post about not welcoming criticism. 

This forum is for giving advice and helping people regarding Photography and Alamy matters.

I don't want to get into any argument  or aggrieve anyone on here.

Sorry for raining on your parade.

PS: everyone on here was a newbie once dosn't mean you can't give advice.

Aylish

Thanks for the ranting response. 

I am very appreciative to receive constructive criticism from those who have the experience and wisdom to be of help, or even from those that may be less experienced but have something useful to contribute. There is always something new we can learn. But you so far come across as an over opinionated and rather clueless novice, that would be advised to listen more and only talk when you have something worth saying.  

Edited by andremichel
  • Upvote 3

23 minutes ago, andremichel said:

Thanks for the ranting response. 

I am very appreciative to receive constructive criticism from those who have the experience and wisdom to be of help, or even from those that may be less experienced but have something useful to contribute. There is always something new we can learn. But you so far come across as an over opinionated and rather clueless novice, that would be advised to listen more and only talk when you have something worth saying.  

Welcome back Phillipe, why the name change? ;)