Failed QC Digital Camera Not Suitable For Alamy?

Hi

I've submitted my first 3 images, and fair play to Alamy they did QC them pretty quickly. However they have all been rejected due to: Soft or lacking definition, Noise and Digital camera not suitable for Alamy.

Now I have a Pentax DSLR with a APS-C sensor at 6.1MP - according to what I've read on here this should be OK? My question is, is it my camera or were my shots just no good, and do I need to scrub up on checking myself at 100%? I am now frozen for 10 days.

Thanks in advance

John.

Definitely DSLR and not fixed lens? If so, it's definitely suitable so that reason may be incorrect. it's an old sensor, so it may not be up to scratch without noise reduction at high ISO.

RAW or jpeg originals? The latter may not have done you any favours.

If you post a link to the full-size images or a 100% crop opinions can be offered.

Some time ago my Canon 20d submissions began failing Alamy QC to such an extent that I stopped submitting to Alamy for a while. Submissions from the 20d were accepted elsewhere. I believe the problem was that with advancing technology files from older cameras need to be low ISO, preferably base, as noise which was once acceptable no longer is.

My advice would be to shoot in raw at base ISO whenever possible, ensure your monitor is calibrated and check at 100 percent at least once before submitting.

The 20d is now often used as a backup or with a complementary lens to my main camera when shooting live news and the files are passing again.

I hope this helps.

Hi guys thanks for the responses, very helpful. Spacecadet it is a DSLR yes. ISO 200 and 400 and I sent them in as JPEG as I thought that's what they required. Would I be better shooting RAW and converting them then? Here are some samples of what got rejected.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/142514666@N02/27947944477/in/dateposted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/142514666@N02/42099460954/in/dateposted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/142514666@N02/42099454744/in/dateposted-public/

Fair enough if my camera isn't up to the job that's fine - but if it is something I am doing wrong then I'd like to learn from it and improve.

Cheers,

John.

Shoot RAW always. The OOC jpeg might well be your problem. Your SLR is old now and compared to the sensors available today the noise performance at high ISO will not compare. Shoot RAW at base ISO and you should be OK. 

55 minutes ago, Johnny75 said:

Hi guys thanks for the responses, very helpful. Spacecadet it is a DSLR yes. ISO 200 and 400 and I sent them in as JPEG as I thought that's what they required. Would I be better shooting RAW and converting them then? Here are some samples of what got rejected.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/142514666@N02/27947944477/in/dateposted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/142514666@N02/42099460954/in/dateposted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/142514666@N02/42099454744/in/dateposted-public/

Fair enough if my camera isn't up to the job that's fine - but if it is something I am doing wrong then I'd like to learn from it and improve.

Cheers,

John.

You've upsized them dramatically, deer is showing on flickr as 8000x5738px and giraffe is 10000x6963. If that's what you sent to Alamy that's why you failed. 6MP is about 3000x2000.

So it's not possible to tell what they would have been like at 100%. However I can tell than on the one of the deer you've missed focus. Normally you'd expect the eyes to be sharp.

Johnny,

From looking at three of your images: Your sensor is dirty and there are dust spots.  I shoot 7360 by RAW files and convert to TIFF

and then to JPEG, even on Live News.  You also need to be working with a good calibrated 

monitor as well.

Chuck

You may want to consider a modern camera.  It can be very limiting and frustrating to work with a 6.1MP camera.  You can get a Nikon D3400 for less than $400 dollars here in the U.S. with lots of pixels to play with and room to crop and it will easily pass QC.  I would hate to see you get discouraged because of your camera.

Just jumping onto this thread rather than clog up the boards with a new one...

I've been a contributor on Alamy just a couple of months and was doing pretty well with no rejections until today. I used stocksubmitter to send a few batches and they have all been rejected due to one image failing. 

Alas, I can't see which images are the problem. The email I received gave me the filename but of course as I used stocksubmitter the names are all coded and absurdly long, so I can't see which one it is. Any ideas? 

16 hours ago, sshoults said:

I've been a contributor on Alamy just a couple of months and was doing pretty well with no rejections until today. I used stocksubmitter to send a few batches and they have all been rejected due to one image failing. 

Alas, I can't see which images are the problem. The email I received gave me the filename but of course as I used stocksubmitter the names are all coded and absurdly long, so I can't see which one it is. Any ideas? 

I know nothing about Stocksubmitter but its website says it's designed for microstock agencies. Since Alamy is not a microstock site the only idea I have is don't use Stocksubmitter.

Alan

They would have given the reason for the failure so check all the images for that flaw. You would want to do that anyway before resubmitting any of them. Always check each image at 100%. It can be very tedious but worthwhile.

Paulette

On 6/14/2018 at 15:44, Johnny75 said:

Hi

I've submitted my first 3 images, and fair play to Alamy they did QC them pretty quickly. However they have all been rejected due to: Soft or lacking definition, Noise and Digital camera not suitable for Alamy.

Now I have a Pentax DSLR with a APS-C sensor at 6.1MP - according to what I've read on here this should be OK? My question is, is it my camera or were my shots just no good, and do I need to scrub up on checking myself at 100%? I am now frozen for 10 days.

Thanks in advance

John.

Sorry to hear you've failed the initial submission.

As this submission has been flagged as being produced on a camera not suitable for Alamy, that means our QC team don't think that the camera you are using will ever be able to produce high enough quality for submission. 

Check out our recent blog on the subject of camera choice here: https://www.alamy.com/blog/alamys-rough-guide-to-digital-cameras

Best

Alamy

Archived