Hi gentle folk

I want to load these two images but am worried they will be rejected for "movement" in the image. They were shot at 1/50th and 1/40th of a second and were opportunistic shots late in the afternoon. Im keen for some feedback from your experienced eye's https://www.flickr.com/gp/131759323@N02/6B76m8

Unfortunately, I'm fairly certain the second one would fail QC, I'm not confident about the first one either. They do appear to not be sharp due to the movement, and as the movement isn't essential to the image (the animal essentially looks still) I think that would be cause for failure. This is based on the 2048px version that's the largest I can access.

On my daughters laptop, the 2nd doesn't look sharp or in focus, but as they are on Flickr, Flickr could be adding sharpening to them, if in doubt don't upload unless you know them to be sharp

Two photographs I accidentally uploaded should have absolutely been rejected. I deleted them as soon as I could but I have found the QC bar here is very low. I am concerned that QC this weak Alamy's reputation will suffer in the long term. Like others say if you aren't happy with them then don't upload.

Cheers

3 hours ago, John Rodgers said:

Two photographs I accidentally uploaded should have absolutely been rejected. I deleted them as soon as I could but I have found the QC bar here is very low. I am concerned that QC this weak Alamy's reputation will suffer in the long term. Like others say if you aren't happy with them then don't upload.

Cheers

The QC bar isn't low, but not all images are checked.

On 28/5/2018 at 01:03, Sultanpepa said:

The QC bar isn't low, but not all images are checked.

I can only go from my experience but other agencies I have uploaded to have rejected a percentage of my images yet Alamy hasn't rejected one of mine yet. I guess we can agree to disagree on this one.

1 hour ago, spacecadet said:

No, we can't.

Alamy QC is for technical quality only. There is no editing for content. Subs pass or fail in their entirety.

I was referring to noise, dust spots and brandnames , not content. But that is just my experience, I haven't been at this as long as you guys.

1 hour ago, John Rodgers said:

I was referring to noise, dust spots and brandnames , not content. But that is just my experience, I haven't been at this as long as you guys.

Brand names are your own responsibility. And they are content. This is not micro.

Noise;  dust; CA; sharpness and other technical imperfections are your own responsibility too, but these are checked.

link 1

link 2

link 3

btw are your images, or at least your shadows, that dark by choice?

wim

45 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

Brand names are your own responsibility. And they are content. This is not micro.

Noise;  dust; CA; sharpness and other technical imperfections are your own responsibility too, but these are checked.

link 1

link 2

link 3

btw are your images, or at least your shadows, that dark by choice?

wim

Not as well checked as micro it seems, but for the record I don't upload to micro anymore and I am much more scrupulous with my submissions. 

And yes they are that dark by choice, I like them that way. I guess you are saying that will go against me in regards to sales?

Just now, John Rodgers said:

And yes they are that dark by choice, I like them that way. I guess you are saying that will go against me in regards to sales?

No not at all. It's obvious you're not aiming at UK newspapers or the regular travel guide ;-)

wim

8 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

No not at all. It's obvious you're not aiming at UK newspapers or the regular travel guide ;-)

wim

Not aiming for anything really, just photographing what I want and the buyers can take it or leave it. Great collection by the way.

4 minutes ago, John Rodgers said:

Not aiming for anything really, just photographing what I want and the buyers can take it or leave it. Great collection by the way.

Thank you!

The first part is a bit risky. But I do sympathize.

Maybe pay a little attention to the what. Are clients looking for that?

If the how is your definite style, maybe look for subjects that are being used and/or that suit the treatment. Obviously covers come to mind or hero images with overlaid text.

I feel the light could be put a bit more to work in those darker images.

Learn how to use AoA as well, to provide you with good keywords and new subjects.

wim

10 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

Thank you!

The first part is a bit risky. But I do sympathize.

Maybe pay a little attention to the what. Are clients looking for that?

If the how is your definite style, maybe look for subjects that are being used and/or that suit the treatment. Obviously covers come to mind or hero images with overlaid text.

I feel the light could be put a bit more to work in those darker images.

Learn how to use AoA as well, to provide you with good keywords and new subjects.

wim

Thanks! 

48 minutes ago, John Rodgers said:

the buyers can take it or leave it.

:o

Last time I looked this was a professional forum.

Better leave you to it then, whilst we get on producing images buyers actually want!

12 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

:o

Last time I looked this was a professional forum.

Better leave you to it then, whilst we get on producing images buyers actually want!

Hi Spacecadet

I think you miss my point. I traveled the world as a professional photographer for 10 years photographing things I didn't enjoy and it killed any passion for taking pictures,   of course I would like to sell my images but that is my lowest priority.  Now that I am enjoying taking photos again, all I want to do is take the best photographs I can of what I want and to continually improve.

6 minutes ago, John Rodgers said:

Now that I am enjoying taking photos again, all I want to do is take the best photographs I can of what I want and to continually improve.

You've got some nice pictures but some are taken into the light which can be challenging in bright conditions. Are you shooting in RAW? If so you may find that with a bit of highlight and shadow adjustment (in Lightroom or Photoshop) you can adjust some of your images to expose details in the shadows as well as preserving the highlights and get the best of both. You could also crop some of your shots to increase the prominence of best bits and reduce the large black areas e.g. MXBABD. 

A forest road in Galway in the summer - Stock Image

Mark

1 hour ago, M.Chapman said:

You've got some nice pictures but some are taken into the light which can be challenging in bright conditions. Are you shooting in RAW? If so you may find that with a bit of highlight and shadow adjustment (in Lightroom or Photoshop) you can adjust some of your images to expose details in the shadows as well as preserving the highlights and get the best of both. You could also crop some of your shots to increase the prominence of best bits and reduce the large black areas e.g. MXBABD. 

A forest road in Galway in the summer - Stock Image

Mark

Thanks Mark, its appreciated, and yes I do shoot raw and manual to ensure I do not clip either end of the histogram, but perhaps I need to adjust the tonal curve to bring out more shadow detail as Wim also mentioned . Save my preferences for my own website. 

1 hour ago, John Rodgers said:

Thanks Mark, its appreciated, and yes I do shoot raw and manual to ensure I do not clip either end of the histogram, but perhaps I need to adjust the tonal curve to bring out more shadow detail as Wim also mentioned . Save my preferences for my own website. 

I'm more concerned about the light parts. Assuming the dark parts are there for a reason:  both as a form and to direct our eye to the light part. That part however and especially the light must be really interesting in itself. Not just as a lighter negative space.

Some of these  may give some food for thought.

wim

Archived