Looking for info about non-scheme sales

Before I get more images up and before university gets crazy, I'd like some generic information on sales. Specifically anything other than newspaper, magazine, and editorial, as I'm not with any schemes. Would like to fix any changes I deem necessary from your replies and not make the same redundancies again.

Some time ago before even starting on stock sites I was told with RM images to not sell them as posters, decor and the like, as the money isn't great. Now I'd like to hear from you experienced with such sales. Not looking for actual price, unless your comfortable doing so, but like: poster $XXX, decor $X, calendar $XX, book covers $X, etc. along with print/use run amount.

Also what restrictions you feel are good to have in place. At this point and time, I don't plan to go all out on stock for a yearly income with so much to learn yet, just wish to make some informed choices with those I put up. Thanks for your time!

Thanks for the replies. With still learning, I shoot many different things though I'm told I should focus on architecture. Travel is what I'd like to do the most, but in these times it's limited.

I hate to tell you this, travel is the most competitive and least profitable subject in Alamy, or anywhere for that matter. Not to say your travel photos aren't any good, but just too many good travel photos EVERYWHERE (micros too, for pennies).

I hate to tell you this, travel is the most competitive and least profitable subject in Alamy, or anywhere for that matter. Not to say your travel photos aren't any good, but just too many good travel photos EVERYWHERE (micros too, for pennies).

Indeed, yet I try to go out of my way to take shots others haven't or very few are out there. Of course that doesn't mean much either, but hope some get sold and if not, well it's good practice. ;)

So no one else has restrictions on their images?

Thanks Wim. Even the lowest amount is more than I received on 99% of my sales over on micro.

Are there a lot of sales for Distributions?

The easiest for me is to look at my summary for 1 year (sept 2012 - sept 2013) and compare that to my balance for the same period.

My summery gives me 216 sales. Out of a collection of roughly 1650.

But there have been 6 refunds and they have to be deducted. Twice! (Because the summary counts everything, both the original sale and the refund.)

So the total sales = 204

The total of distributor sales over hat time: 26

Of which 2 have not been paid because they are from Brazil.

wim

Do you find Distribution worth it at only 30%? I'm opted out of it and the others.

This year (2013) my lowest distribution sale was $6.24

My highest distribution sale was $957.00

wim

My experience is similar (though highest not as high).

Just had to add that surprisingly(?), some of my highest GROSS sales on Alamy have come from distributors... However, at only 30% NET the take-away is rather less exciting, and indeed often ends up less than a decent direct sale. Regardless of what Alamy leaves us to believe, the big sales are out still there (sales at other agencies agree as well!), just wish they were more often through Alamy directly than through one of the distributors...

But I'm still opted in.

-Jason

Archived