Run Off Poll: March 2018 Challenge Without leaving the house (or garden).

wiskerke

Run Off Poll: March 2018 Challenge Without leaving the house (or garden).  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Please vote for the best image taken in or around the house.

• KD1X2P - MariaJ - Cat drinking water from the tap.
    • ETKN6N - ColdCoffee - A pair of Eastern grey squirrels on a deck rail.
    • KGWKX0 - Steve Hyde - Two toy monkeys with their arms around each other.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/04/18 at 23:00

The March 2018 poll ended with the grey squirrels by ColdCoffee and the toy monkeys by Steve Hyde in first place with each 25% and a very close third at 23.08% for the thirsty cat by MariaJ.

So here's a short poll to decide this over the weekend. Again it will close automatically, now on Sunday at midnight, London time.

Sorry for the ones who lost to cuteness: there were some really good stock images there.

Anyways here again are the cat; the squirrels and the monkeys:

Cat drinking water from the tap in sink.  Gingercat orange and white cat drinking water from the faucet in the sink. Stock Photo

KD1X2P - MariaJ - Cat drinking water from the tap.

Eastern grey gray squirrels (Sciurus carolinensis) laying together on deck rail. Stock Photo

ETKN6N - ColdCoffee - A pair of Eastern grey squirrels on a deck rail.

Two toy monkeys, one larger than the other, sat cuddling on a wooden bench with their arms around each other Stock Photo

KGWKX0 - Steve Hyde - Two toy monkeys with their arms around each other.

wim

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Good run-off but I wonder whether in the case of a draw at the end of the main vote the setter of the topic should have the casting vote ?

Kumar

I think this happened before, that the setter of the topic had the decission. 

But I guess the setter can also opt to have a casting vote,  as Wim did. 

That way it is more democratic. 

When I answered first to the thread, every picture had exactly 7 votes, that might have caused another headache after the selection process for Wim. 

Now the votes more clearly lean towards a winner (almost spoiled the thread for the ones that did not cast a vote yet). 

1 hour ago, hdh said:

I think this happened before, that the setter of the topic had the decission. 

But I guess the setter can also opt to have a casting vote,  as Wim did. 

That way it is more democratic. 

When I answered first to the thread, every picture had exactly 7 votes, that might have caused another headache after the selection process for Wim. 

Now the votes more clearly lean towards a winner (almost spoiled the thread for the ones that did not cast a vote yet). 

Exactly right. I could have.

And indeed I was caught out by the early cut-off.

I tried to remedy the cutting off, but it would not let me. That's why this poll started before the original one should have finished.

I think this is more fair. The other thing is both times (well until now) I did not pick the winner. But I did shift my vote.

wim

Edit: I don't think this poll allows one to shift his/her vote anymore. At least I don't see it. How did that happen? Did I miss a checkbox somewhere?

Otoh this is not such a bad thing. It may even have been impossible the first time around too. Which makes the whole point about me deciding the poll -and fretting about it- moot.

Indeed, it is no longer possible to switch your vote. I kind of miss being able to abandon someone who isn't in the running anyway in order to give at least one vote to someone who is being overlooked. Am I virtue signaling? So you would have had to wait until the last minute to cast your vote if you wanted to be the tie-breaker.

Paulette

I'm not a cat person, but, quite coincidentally, I  recently heard a radio programme about the psychology of cats and dogs, and apparently cats prefer their water and food to be well separated, i.e. not in adjacent bowls.  Even better is running water, hence drinking from the tap.

Apologies for the deviation.....

15 hours ago, NYCat said:

Indeed, it is no longer possible to switch your vote. I kind of miss being able to abandon someone who isn't in the running anyway in order to give at least one vote to someone who is being overlooked. Am I virtue signaling? So you would have had to wait until the last minute to cast your vote if you wanted to be the tie-breaker.

Paulette

I believe that when you cast your vote with all the information available at the time plus your own past experiences and knowledge that it should be your final vote and not to be able to chop and change while voting is in progress. Regardless of your own ideals.

Allan

57 minutes ago, NYCat said:

I also used to vote for myself until I was told it "wasn't good form". Just an American barbarian here.

Paulette

:(:) I still :wub: ya Baby.

Allan

And we finally have a winner!

Congratulations Maria!

In a complete reversal of fortunes now thirsty cat Mabel by MariaJ has defeated the cheeky squirrels and the hugging monkeys. All of course would have made worthy winners and even were at one point.

However Mabel won the run off.

A huge  thanks to everybody who made a lively challenge with lots of good images and such nail biting rounds of voting!

Maria will set the next challenge.

Over to her!

wim

-from an already very sunny Vienna; 22C yesterday and 23 forecast for today.

Thank you Wim, and everyone who voted.  And Hat's off to the other finalists as well.

It's a bit of a late hour for me where I am, so after some shut eye I will create a new competition tomorrow (Monday).

Maria

Congratulations Maria, a worthy winner, and thanks Wim for running the contest!

While I didn't make the cut, one of my submissions has just sold, I think for the first time. Probably pure coincidence, but just maybe a further incentive to enter the competition and air your wares.

Archived