Hello camera ppl,

Recently I shot landscape photo and not sure what settings to use on 'Image Manager'? 

After a search on Alamy for London (&other street photography) I found many Images marked as 'No Properties' on their images, and this made me confused. English is my 5th language and when it comes to using/understanding technical words I can get easily lost :) 

Recently I photographed coastal landscape with a church and lighthouse within my image (no ppl). 

How do I know if I need property release for such buildings and what adjustments best to use in 'Image Manager' - 'Optional tab'? 

4 minutes ago, Avpics said:

Basically anything that could be recognised - be it a mobile phone or a building - would need a property release for commercial use.

Are there no exceptions? What about city skylines or public buildings?

I think the guideline is if no building is the main feature, but hell knows how that would be defined. If you have a single building in the image I'd be inclined to think that would need a release. I always err on the side of safety, especially as I take more editorial images than anything else

Alamy are cautious about releases, so yes you will need a release unless you have written permission from the owners of the church and lighthouse. Its best for you anyway to say that it needs a release and that you haven't got one. That way, if a client uses the photo and there are repercussions, you at least were honest; its up to the client to ensure that the photo is suitable for their use. 

On 13/02/2018 at 19:59, Nick Hatton said:

I have just sold an image of the road sign welcoming people to my local town, by mistake I have it marked as royalty free but obviously it is the property of somebody, any thoughts if this will land me in trouble?

You can change it from RF to RM in image manager if you prefer. I would also answer 'Is there any property in the image?' as yes, and 'Do you have a signed release for the property?' as no.

John.

On 13/02/2018 at 19:59, Nick Hatton said:

I have just sold an image of the road sign welcoming people to my local town, by mistake I have it marked as royalty free but obviously it is the property of somebody, any thoughts if this will land me in trouble?

A road sign. Who owns a road sign? The local council? I doubt they will be chasing you. 

13 minutes ago, Sally said:

A road sign. Who owns a road sign? The local council? I doubt they will be chasing you. 

It's a matter of accuracy. That and abiding by the terms of the contributor contract. It's conceivable that a council might object to a derogatory portrayal of their district. A photographer who wrongly stated that he had a release might be in at least warm water.

Imagine if Royston Vasey had been a real place- I wonder if Royston (in Hertfordshire, South Yorkshire, Glasgow, etc.) had any qualms about it.

32 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

It's a matter of accuracy. That and abiding by the terms of the contributor contract. It's conceivable that a council might object to a derogatory portrayal of their district. A photographer who wrongly stated that he had a release might be in at least warm water.

Imagine if Royston Vasey had been a real place- I wonder if Royston (in Hertfordshire, South Yorkshire, Glasgow, etc.) had any qualms about it.

Yes, I agree, I was simply responding to the question which was about the likelihood of getting into problems having already sold the image under a RF license.

5 minutes ago, Sally said:

Yes, I agree, I was simply responding to the question which was about the likelihood of getting into problems having already sold the image under a RF license.

Ah, fair enough. Not a hugely problematic image but at least Nick has been reminded of it.

I still have the odd RF one which I haven't changed because before AIM you couldn't.

Archived