Update for LR 6 users

I see the upgrade includes profiles for iPhone 8 and iPhone X. Does anyone know if Lightroom 5.7 supports newer iPhones? I was just about to buy a new iPhone yesterday and it never occurred to me that I might need to upgrade Lightroom too.

9 minutes ago, fotoDogue said:

I see the upgrade includes profiles for iPhone 8 and iPhone X. Does anyone know if Lightroom 5.7 supports newer iPhones? I was just about to buy a new iPhone yesterday and it never occurred to me that I might need to upgrade Lightroom too.

Adobe never provide updates in older software for newer cameras. If you are sticking with perpetual licences, then you need to upgrade fast as LR 6 will not be available in the new year as far as I know.

All updates are also available from the Adobe website.

16 hours ago, MDM said:

Adobe never provide updates in older software for newer cameras. If you are sticking with perpetual licences, then you need to upgrade fast as LR 6 will not be available in the new year as far as I know.

If you try to update from Adobe site they just keep pointing you to cloud. At least Victoria Brampton has done the search for you and provided a link from her website.

Allan

49 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

If you try to update from Adobe site they just keep pointing you to cloud. At least Victoria Brampton has done the search for you and provided a link from her website.

Allan

No Allan. That link I posted goes to a page where it has all available downloads from Lightroom 6 back to 4. I think it is quite recent since they announced the demise of the perpetual license version and I expect it will remain there for some time to come. I have the subscription but I also have LR6 since before I subscribed and would reinstall it if I ever quit the subscription.

59 minutes ago, Pearl said:

I have just updated from 6.13 to 6.14 from within the LR software using the Help menu.  It works a treat.

Pearl

Sure but the links above allow you to download the update rather than apply the update directly. That is what  I wanted to do as I have LR Classic CC installed and not LR6 anymore but I wanted to keep the latest update in case I ever quit the subscription. Adobe used to have a download site for LR updates until a few years ago. They removed it but have now reinstated it. It may be there permanently from now on but then again it may now. I got 6.14 just in case they remove it again. 

On 12/20/2017 at 15:11, Allan Bell said:

Just updated LR6.13 to LR6.14 from VB's website here. Easy peasy.

Allan

Hi Allan.

Thanks for the link just one problem every time I try to run update I get this error:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/0ej94hodaj8kpeh/error.jpg?dl=0 

Any help please.

1 hour ago, Liam Bunce said:

Hi Allan.

Thanks for the link just one problem every time I try to run update I get this error:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/0ej94hodaj8kpeh/error.jpg?dl=0 

Any help please.

Did you follow the advice and download a new copy of the Application Manager? And have you tried updating from within Lightroom? It is usually the easiest way to do these updates.

23 hours ago, MDM said:

A friend of mine pointed out that if you're shooting jpgs on an iPhone then it really doesn't matter. I still haven't figured how to shoot in Apple Raw but I probably should upgrade anyway.

53 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Not to stray too far from the original topic but, I'm so frustrated with my last Genius Bar appointment that I'm almost ready to switch to Android.

The other morning my 2 year old 6s wouldn't charge so I brought it to the Soho Store where they diagnosed it as a corroded Lightning port. I was told the part wasn't replaceable and since I don't have AppleCare,  I could either swap it for the same model, for $300, or see what my carrier had to offer.

I was just about to plunk down almost $800 on a new phone when I decided to Google it. Right there on the Apple Support Forums was a thread about how to clean the dust bunnies from the port! Apparently it's a common problem that happens around the two year mark. So I cleaned it several times again and it's been charging normally ever since.

It seems like Apple is really pushing to sell new phones.

fD

3 hours ago, fotoDogue said:

Not to stray too far from the original topic but, I'm so frustrated with my last Genius Bar appointment that I'm almost ready to switch to Android.

The other morning my 2 year old 6s wouldn't charge so I brought it to the Soho Store where they diagnosed it as a corroded Lightning port. I was told the part wasn't replaceable and since I don't have AppleCare,  I could either swap it for the same model, for $300, or see what my carrier had to offer.

I was just about to plunk down almost $800 on a new phone when I decided to Google it. Right there on the Apple Support Forums was a thread about how to clean the dust bunnies from the port! Apparently it's a common problem that happens around the two year mark. So I cleaned it several times again and it's been charging normally ever since.

It seems like Apple is really pushing to sell new phones.

fD

That is bad, really bad. Some genius - I would complain about that if I were you. If that is policy then it is more than disappointing. Let's hope it was a lack of genius on the part of whoever examined the phone for you. Dust in the port is a really common problem and should be the first thing to look for. I had this with my old iPhone 4S - I could see the dust. A clean did the trick - got my son who has very keen eyesight to do it for me. Since then I don't carry my phone in the same pocket as I carry tissue as I think most of dust came from tissue bits. 

I do think you should upgrade anyway. LR6 is faster than 5 for one thing and you will future proof yourself for a while at least. 

Stacy, I was in the Apple SoHo Store a few days ago, and there was nothing happening at the Genius Bar. No geniuses in sight. 

It's no longer a smartphone, but I'm still using the second edition iPhone. (And my iMac is 10 years old.) Apple used to be a great company, but they seem to have taken on an unhelpful and arrogant attitude in recent years.

I tried to buy an iPhone 6 about a year or so ago, and thought I would just go in an get it and pay with a credit card. No no. The put me through hell, and I ended up not buying the thing. The sales girl was actually nice and helpful, and she deleted some unneeded apps and got my old phone working better. 

I'm too old for this stuff. :unsure:

He did clean the port but I guess he didn't clean it well enough. Apple asked me to rate my experience so I responded accordingly. I've kept it in a case since the day I got it but the case doesn't cover he port. It's never been exposed to harsh conditions and, aside from some finger grease on the glass, it's in nearly pristine condition.

No. Apple is no longer the company it used to be. I'm ready to go back to 1998 when we all had flip phones, net neutrality wasn't an issue, and Adobe software had perpetual licenses.

In the meantime, I'll probably upgrade Lightroom tonight  while the standalone version is still available.

18 hours ago, Liam Bunce said:

Hi Allan.

Any help please.

Sorry for delay, spent all day yesterday in hospital. Don't know why you are getting the error. Sorry.

Allan

Don't panic. Do you mean you upgraded from a previous version (4 or 5.) or it reverted to 6.0 from a later version 6.x? If you upgraded to 6 then it will read raws that any previous version could read. It must be something simple if that is the case.

If it reverted to 6.0 from 6.x (I have never seen this happen) and you have a newer camera, then you just need to update it again.

3 hours ago, Bryan said:

Just updated to latest version from Adobe site. It has installed version 6.0 so I can't read my camera's files!!!

Anyone know how to  get in touch with these people to sort it out?

I just purchased the Upgrade from Lightroom 5.7 to Lightroom 6, from Adobe last night. First I installed the 6.0 version and then I downloaded the free upgrade from 6.0 to 6.14 from within Lightroom using "Update" under the "Help" menu. It said it would have to update my catalog which took a few minutes but everything seems fine now.

There's a Support Forum on the Adobe site that may have the answer to whatever went wrong.

https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html?promoid=RGJ8NLP8&mv=other#/top_products

As Bryan hasn't actually said what version he was previously using, the information is incomplete. I'm interpreting his query and the tone of the post (Anyone know how to  get in touch with these people to sort it out?) as meaning that he is a little peed off and has probably upgraded from a previous version (4 or 5) where he could read his camera's files and now no longer can since upgrading to version 6. I might be wrong of course. I await his return with interest. I think any problem is probably minor.

6 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Sorry for delay, spent all day yesterday in hospital. Don't know why you are getting the error. Sorry.

Allan

Nothing too serious I hope.

I'm all sorted with update now so jobs a good un.

Cheers Allan.

Thanks for the responses folks.

I tried to update from 6.10 to the latest version, but instead got version 6.0 ( why it exists on the Adobe web site I have no idea), presumably I misread instructions somewhere.

When I try to update from within LR it just tries to update the CC cloud thing, which I don't have or want.

Will try again on the Adobe web site.

Edit - realise the error of my ways, on the Adobe screen the LR6 download occurs first, you then have to scroll down the screen to find the updates. Meanwhile I have uninstalled CC in the hope that I can update from LR. Hope I haven't erased my LR catalogues in the process!

Edit 2 - successfully installed LR6.0 and updated to LR6.14 but can't find my catalogue and fear the worst!

Edit 3 - restored catalogue from backup, phew!

As I was intimating earlier in my posts. Adobe do not make it easy to find the legacy 6 updates. Probably because they want everyone to go to CC.

I found when I tried to carry out the update from "Help" while LR was running it just took me to Adobe CC?

I do not like CC in any form and will not go there.

Allan

44 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

As I was intimating earlier in my posts. Adobe do not make it easy to find the legacy 6 updates. Probably because they want everyone to go to CC.

I found when I tried to carry out the update from "Help" while LR was running it just took me to Adobe CC?

I do not like CC in any form and will not go there.

Allan

Indeed I share your aversion Allan, and thanks for the heads up on the update!

To be clear, existing LR6 users should use Allan's link to the update page and then scroll down the Adobe screen until they reach the 6.14 update, either for Mac or Windows.

If you have had the misfortune to become embroiled in any way with CC, despite not having paid for or used it, it appears that you cannot update from LR6 directly, rather you are pointed at buying opportunities for products that you do not need nor want.

Archived