Live News sales immediate?

Hi, will i know immediately if my live news image sold, or this depends on the buyer? What is the latest the Alamy may let me know about a live news sale?

Other question, after 48hrs when a live news image goes back to the ordinary stock, do you re-caption it to suit more generic use, as opposed to a specific news on the day? 

Thanks.

Pawel

On one occasion Alamy notified me of a Live News sale, but, in my limited experience, they generally don't. You have to wait the normal month or so to see the sale invoiced.

I generally tweak the keywords, as uploaded in haste, they are probably not the best.

Live news images are always stored as such with a message to the buyer warning of possible lower standards. If you value the image for general stock use you might consider re-working it at your leisure and re-uploading. Alamy will then delete the duplicate Live News version for you if you ask.

1 hour ago, Pietrach said:

Hi, will i know immediately if my live news image sold, or this depends on the buyer? What is the latest the Alamy may let me know about a live news sale?

This is the one instance where it pays to do your own searching for fear of going unreported. I'm still waiting for some from September which I've found myself (also see the other thread for images from 2016!). I'm sure many people will have complained to Alamy over time but it would appear to be a continuing issue.

2 hours ago, Bryan said:

On one occasion Alamy notified me of a Live News sale, but, in my limited experience, they generally don't. You have to wait the normal month or so to see the sale invoiced.

I generally tweak the keywords, as uploaded in haste, they are probably not the best.

Live news images are always stored as such with a message to the buyer warning of possible lower standards. If you value the image for general stock use you might consider re-working it at your leisure and re-uploading. Alamy will then delete the duplicate Live News version for you if you ask.

Ah, that’s interesting. I have been wondering how it might be possible to replace images without losing all the associated information. How is that done?

Upload the duplicate.

When it passes QC, give MS both Alamy references and ask for the old one to be replaced. The annotations will be preserved on the reprocessed image.

Although for a single image it's no big deal to copy them over yourself in AIM.

53 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Upload the duplicate.

When it passes QC, give MS both Alamy references and ask for the old one to be replaced. The annotations will be preserved on the reprocessed image.

Although for a single image it's no big deal to copy them over yourself in AIM.

Ok, thanks.

On 12/9/2017 at 19:16, Pietrach said:

Thanks.

Pawel

Here is the answer I received from CR following my enquiry of my early September sale, which kind of answers your question:

"Thanks for sending this over, we have looked and do have a relevant download for this usage. Some of our editorial customers report usages to us over a period of time, and live news usages can take longer to be reported than regular newspaper uses. If you don’t see the sale appear in your account within 4 months of the usage date (by 04/01/2018) then please let us know so we can chase this up for you"

I always take another look at live news images once they are no longer live news. 
I can nearly always improve on the image quality when I'm not in a hurry to upload, and re-keywording is a must. 

Most pics I take at news events - especially if there are lots of other photographers there - are usually taken with stock in mind anyway.

You can't transfer information over from one version of an image to a new one - apart from cutting and pasting captions. Do as much as you can before uploading so you have all that info at your end and can copy if far easier.

On 12/9/2017 at 19:53, Bryan said:

If you don't add tags to a live news image using Lightroom or whatever application prior to uploading, then once it has finished it's time on the Live News feed, it will sit in AIM waiting for you to add tags and won't go on sale immediately. So at this point you can delete the image yourself via AIM and you don't have to mess around with asking Alamy to swap IDs, tags, whatever... or at least this has been my experience.

Archived