When sales are usually reported?

Some are instant, and will be notified by Alamy as soon as the view/zoom is made. Some in newspaper schemes can take up to three months to be reported. It seems to vary from sale to sale.

I have one at the moment that I know was in a magazine with full Alamy credit to me last month, but still awaiting sale confirmation.

I have live news from the beginning of April not reported. Sometimes it can take 6 months and a further 6 for payment clearance.

I suggest that after 3 month from publication inform MS and as if by magic it will soon appear.

We should not have to do this.

I am still waiting for payment to clear from one sold in June 2012

Andy

Brazil? There are a number of us who sold for a textbook there. I think Alamy has since dropped that distributor because of non-payment. I thought about not allowing Brazil distributors to sell my pics but someone shared that they have sold a lot there and always been paid. So I am still in and today a sale for a book was reported. I have my fingers crossed.

Paulette

Alamy's model of billing is serious outdated. In today's e-world, all transactions should be instantaneous. Why can't we make clients pay as they "check out"? Alamy has a very generous refund policy as far as we can tell. To allow clients download pictures (and start to use them), then send out invoice, and wait for weeks even months, sometimes never, is just simply preposterous. As others pointed out, we don't get sweet deal like this anywhere else in today's world. We got charged interest if we don't pay on time.

Alamy's model of billing is serious outdated. In today's e-world, all transactions should be instantaneous. Why can't we make clients pay as they "check out"? Alamy has a very generous refund policy as far as we can tell. To allow clients download pictures (and start to use them), then send out invoice, and wait for weeks even months, sometimes never, is just simply preposterous. As others pointed out, we don't get sweet deal like this anywhere else in today's world. We got charged interest if we don't pay on time.

I agree, i'm ok with the 30 days invoice time, even 90 at extreme but they should be logged on the system straightaway as being a sale. Not, ooo I'll use this one, wait 3-6 months to report it then an additional 3 months to pay.

It makes it very difficult to get started with Alamy and makes using other agencies with faster / more accurate billing systems more appealing, especially when you are starting out.

Make sure to do periodic google checks on your photos. I spotted an image of mine in a guide book published last year. Never reported or paid for and I'm still trying to get Alamy to sort it out. Had I not have spotted it, it would've passed by their system which seems to let the odd sale slip by unnoticed. Hence the need for the monthly image reporting topic, which through the great service of fellow Alamy photographers picks up many but certainly not all photos used that show up online.

Make sure to do periodic google checks on your photos. I spotted an image of mine in a guide book published last year. Never reported or paid for and I'm still trying to get Alamy to sort it out. Had I not have spotted it, it would've passed by their system which seems to let the odd sale slip by unnoticed. Hence the need for the monthly image reporting topic, which through the great service of fellow Alamy photographers picks up many but certainly not all photos used that show up online.

My advice: Don't bother with waiting for Alamy to chase it up. I have given up notifying MS about unreported sales, and bill offenders myself- at my own rates. If there are any problems, I send to collection and treat as infringement. I have and will continue to collect sums many times higher than Alamy ever would- And I have yet to have any unreported sales that I sent to MS result in any money in the bank... Frustrating.

-Jason

My advice: Don't bother with waiting for Alamy to chase it up. I have given up notifying MS about unreported sales, and bill offenders myself- at my own rates. If there are any problems, I send to collection and treat as infringement. I have and will continue to collect sums many times higher than Alamy ever would- And I have yet to have any unreported sales that I sent to MS result in any money in the bank... Frustrating.

-Jason

Thanks for this info. So that's how effective Alamy is with an extra 10% of commission. Not acceptable really.

Hi all - interesting stuff - I am waiting for notification of sales to the Times in January 2013, the Independent in July 2013 and the RSPB Magazine in July 2013. It is only through the posting of the great members on this site that I even know about the pictures being published at all. Well done and thanks to all.

Archived