Captcha itself is not precise, so it trips up those who are more precise. It is a phycological test to keep out the anal retentive. Without captcha there were forum posts by robots advertising how one could be rich by raising cabbages in your garage.

When you click on squares do not be exactly precise, and you will probably get in the first try.

For instance if there is just a very small edge corner of a street sign occupying only 5% of one square do not click on that particular square, or you will be asked to try again.

It was cars for this sign in and I ignored a car in the extreme distance of one square. Technically wrong answer but the right answer for Captcha that let me in first try.

For me, it was more than just the vagaries of Captcha.  I'm sure I got Captcha right at least several times, but then I'm led to the Forum front page still signed out.  Or having been signed in, I come back to the forum from other web page tabs and find I'm out again.  I have no problem doing Capthca again if I messed one up.  I usually get in the second time.  This is something more.

3 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

When it happens to me it's usually on the weekend and usually with Safari. I switch to the Chrome browser and it works okay. 

Edo

Interesting.  I've only had it happen once and it was with Safari and Firefox.  With Safari I don't have to do the captcha dance, but with FF I do.  I don't really want to add a third browser.

Rick

What I find recently is that in spite of being logged in, I go back to the forum overview page and it looks like I'm out.  But when I click a few things - presto - I'm still in.

Instead of endlessly trying to log in, click a few posts and you may find you're back in.

1 hour ago, Reimar said:

What I find recently is that in spite of being logged in, I go back to the forum overview page and it looks like I'm out.  But when I click a few things - presto - I'm still in.

Instead of endlessly trying to log in, click a few posts and you may find you're back in.

That's exactly what happens to me - it's annoying.

Archived