New Lightroom Calssic CC first impressions

Very helpful video - particularly around the colour mask - I've used LR4, 5 and 6 and upgraded to LR Classic via the adobe photography plan last week - very pleased with it :-) Not so sure about LR CC to be honest, I do not think I have a use for it...

Thanks for posting the vid :-)

3 hours ago, Sally said:

Helpful, thanks. Trying to decide, having bought non-subscription Lightroom 6, whether it's worthwhile changing to subscription version.

I have had CC for over a year now, having mulled over the pros and cons for ever it seemed. I resented paying a monthly fee. But it is money well spent, IMHO.

This week I had to remove street lamps and vans from some images, a quick selection and then fill with the content aware tool, job done in seconds.

Very pleased.

Great video - really helpful. 

I also just realized that I should be placing that graduated filter differently than I have. I used Nikon Capture for ages, and then continued with the Nik filters, so I was slow to take advantage of all the newer LR develop bells and whistles, mostly taking advantage of it for organizing, keywording, initial RAW edits, and a quick way to access various filters and presets, but I am excited about how quickly it should let me get through some of my older shoots that have been sitting on my hard drive.

I played around with the new CC and quickly decided it was not for me - love the PS IOS app for instgram and other quick social media posts, but not for my serious work.

Thanks for sharing. 

I'm inspired to re-process a bunch I uploaded last week and see how fast I can get them up on Alamy. 

This was just what I was looking for.  A very easy to understand tutorial on the new color & luminosity mask functions in Lr CC Classic.  Well done.

I've been using Lr since Nikon mucked up Capture NX2 with their new software, which IMHO, is probably the worst image processing software available today.  :-)  

On 10/26/2017 at 13:36, Sally said:

Helpful, thanks. Trying to decide, having bought non-subscription Lightroom 6, whether it's worthwhile changing to subscription version.

Yes, I think it is. In my opinion $10 monthly for LR plus Photoshop is a very good deal.
I think people who bought the perpetual license should have some sort of discount though

6 hours ago, Justin Case said:

Yes, I think it is. In my opinion $10 monthly for LR plus Photoshop is a very good deal.
I think people who bought the perpetual license should have some sort of discount though

Thanks. I agree about the discount (obviously) but is there any pressure that can be put on Adobe to do so? I suspect not.

I think I will leave it for a wee while and see what happens.

I am OK with the subscription model for the "photographers" bundle - which I think is OK regards price. My amazement comes when I price adding a third program, such as I wanted to use inDesign for one project BUT it would have cost me over 20 USD per month for a minimum of a year ( 250 USD per year) to add it to LR and PS (10 USD per month or $120 per year combined). 

I am now firmly in the Adobe camp (after migrating from Aperture) but they do seem to specialize in making life unnecessarily expensive and difficult for those of us who don't have much money or a business.

11 hours ago, fotoDogue said:

Adobe often has Black Friday sales - at least for those of us in the US. Unless you're in a hurry to upgrade it may be worth waiting until November 24th.

Thanks, worth keeping an eye on that.

Does this definitely spell the end for the stand alone version?

I'm very reluctant to pay a monthly fee and, to date,  Adobe has been very fair with non subscription users allowing periodic updates for a discounted amount. I have, therefore, generally  updated only when I have bought a new camera, and needed the newer raw converter, maybe once every 3 years, and that's a whole stack cheaper than the monthly fee.

I am also concerned that, as I get even longer in the tooth, I will no longer be actively trying to sell photos, but would still like to play around with the software for pictures of the grandbairns etc. The monthly fee would not be viable under those circumstances, but I would still require occasional access to the software.

Maybe it's a generation thing, but I don't like any ongoing financial obligations, so I don't have a mobile phone contract for example, I try to save and pay cash for major items.  Some things are unavoidable, but this one, hopefully, is not.

Thank you for all the positive comments.
I kept testing LR Classic in the last few days and so far I notice a big improvement on terms of speed.

When working with photos I have no lag at all in the Dev Mod, or in culling in the Library. Import is much faster than before.
Occasionally I have some issues when working with video and timelapses, but only if I have kept the program open for several days and performed a lot of export operations. All I have to do is to exit LR and optimize the catalog.
All and all very happy so far.
I don't agree with people complaining against subscription: I find that $10 per month for LR Classic, LR CC (which might be occasionally useful when traveling) and Photoshop is an extremely competitive price. I prefer to pay monthly instead than upfront and I have a version constantly updated

Archived