Image Options --New revenue option--

Hello Folks,

When you  click in your dashboard "Additional Revenue Options" i noticed something new. "Image Options". You can click on that and you will get some info about it. 

It seems that customers can get for every image of you a choice between different image styles. For example they choose an image from your port and they get automatically also a black and white variant. This is how i understand it. I am not sure if i understood it good.

Anyway it seems it is not active yet and that Alamy will send us an email when it will.

Did you noticed it also?

Mirco

I have just opted out.

The reason I give is that, based on the option of black and white variant above, a straight change from colour to black and white is never as good as I can produce myself using software. I always find it necessary to carry out more modifications to the image to make it an acceptable black and white image.

The same would go for other variants.

Allan

52 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

I have just opted out.

The reason I give is that, based on the option of black and white variant above, a straight change from colour to black and white is never as good as I can produce myself using software. I always find it necessary to carry out more modifications to the image to make it an acceptable black and white image.

Allan

Interesting. You are completely right that nothing can beat human production of black and white. But on the other hand the customer don't need to choose the black and white created by "Image Options". But if they choose why not get those extra income? Doesn't harm anybody to have this active. Just trying to discuss because it could be that i am not seeing something the right way.

Thanks.

Mirco

2 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

I have just opted out.

Allan

Agree completely! A good b&w image is a different beast from a good colour image.  Doing it as a straight change from an already edited-for-colour jpg, rather than raw, will give dodgy results. If they absolutely want that, why not either do it themselves (a poor result can be achieved easily and quickly) or send a msg to the photog if they're prepared to upload a b&w version? Ditto on other effects - will this potentially open up all my images to be manipulated with cheap instagram style filters? I would really, really hate that. Nothing wrong with the buyer doing that afterwards, as they please, but if it can be manipulated visibly before purchase, say, as a sort of options menu, that would really take away the integrity of the image/photographer's edit.

1 hour ago, imageplotter said:

If they absolutely want that, why not either do it themselves (a poor result can be achieved easily and quickly)

It depends if they have the skills, time and application(s) to do so.

or send a msg to the photog if they're prepared to upload a b&w version?

Depends if they have the time to wait...

will this potentially open up all my images to be manipulated with cheap instagram style filters? I would really, really hate that.

Nothing stops a buyer from buying your image and manipulating it with cheap Intagram style filters regardless of whether you opt in or out of this "Image Options" thing as you do indeed say. I think the only difference here is that this way, it is someone from Alamy that does it rather than the end customer. I suspect that how this works is that a customer probably contacts Alamy directly and says that they like images XYZ .. .but would like to see it in Sepia (for example) and so someone at Alamy will do the change.

2 hours ago, Matt Ashmore said:

It depends if they have the skills, time and application(s) to do so.

Depends if they have the time to wait...

Nothing stops a buyer from buying your image and manipulating it with cheap Intagram style filters regardless of whether you opt in or out of this "Image Options" thing as you do indeed say. I think the only difference here is that this way, it is someone from Alamy that does it rather than the end customer. I suspect that how this works is that a customer probably contacts Alamy directly and says that they like images XYZ .. .but would like to see it in Sepia (for example) and so someone at Alamy will do the change.

I agree with Matt except the transformation is probably untouched by human hands or brain.

Well that is exactly my point. If there was a human alamy-fairy, a re-toucher doing the job then absolutely fine, but I would also put my money on it being automated. And no, of course nothing stops the buyer from doing that afterwards, but I would rather it being outside the visible alamy interface, I'd not want my images to be viewable on alamy in "B&W filter" or "bleach effect" or "here's a lovely sepia" type automated stuff. Think I made that point elsewhere - I'd quite like to keep a tiny bit of creative integrity here, what they do with the image in their own four corporate walls is up to them, but please don't become some sort of knock-off instagram, alamy. That would be the time for me to leave and pull the images. 

Again until Alamy releases the information everything is just a speculation.

But how i read it it is not that your images will be visible on Alamy directly in different styles. This happens when customer selects the image. It happens "behind the scenes".Again i am not sure but i guess this way.

Anyway why not let the customer buy the license just because you dont like the option? Just trying to understand the issue here :).

Mirco

Archived