Update on the Keith Morris / Alamy blog

RedSnapper

Well done Keith, superb achievement.

I spent my honeymoon in 1966 at Clarach Bay which I guess would be about the same time your avatar pic was snapped.

I should have stayed !

Excellent blog Keith.

Even though I am too old to be serious enough to make stock my business, (well past retirement age with reasonable pension), that short article by you is stimulating to the little grey cells.

Allan

Keith, Thanks for sharing. Very inspiring story and figures. Green with envy. :-)

Quick question, you mention using WiFi to send the photos to your phone when you are out in the field. I imagine the file size must be substantial (JPEG 20Mb +?), so how do you manage to get a file of that size to your phone for captioning when you are out in the middle of nowhere? Surely, even with 4G, the file size is too big to handle and your mobile phone data allowance will be pushed over its limit (if it has one). As a matter of interest do the new cameras have the ability to connect to 4G directly or do you still have to use a phone as an intermediary?

Thanks in advance. 

BW Jan (AKA John)

Keith, Thanks for sharing. Very inspiring story and figures. Green with envy. :-)

Quick question, you mention using WiFi to send the photos to your phone when you are out in the field. I imagine the file size must be substantial (JPEG 20Mb +?), so how do you manage to get a file of that size to your phone for captioning when you are out in the middle of nowhere? Surely, even with 4G, the file size is too big to handle and your mobile phone data allowance will be pushed over its limit (if it has one). As a matter of interest do the new cameras have the ability to connect to 4G directly or do you still have to use a phone as an intermediary?

Thanks in advance. 

BW Jan (AKA John)

- I use a Camranger with my 5D MK3 and it downloads instantly on the phone and/or computer.

- My 80D has wifi/NFC built in so without a "dongle" downloads pretty much instantly to iPhone/computer.

then use iPhone to "transmit" with computer via 3G/4G or free mobile hotspot in the "field". Could probably do it straight from the phone but haven't tried that as of yet.

Pix for news only need to be 3000x2000 px. They work out at a couple of Mb each. On 3G / 4G they take seconds to transfer

And my app can caption/keyword/headline them for me .....it's not just a matter of transferring them to my own computer - they have to be ready for pinging out to the papers

The chain is:

Shoot on D4/D4s> Wifi from camera to phone (takes about 4 seconds for a full size JPG) > Shuttersnitch app on the phone resizes images to 3000x2000 + adds the metadata> Resized images sent from phone by 3g/4g  to AlamyNews - takes maybe 5-10 seconds per image>Alamy pings them out to the pic desks>images used (or not, as the case may be)

My pic in the Times yesterday was literally sent from a field in rural Shropshire

C9mjV18WsAAtK86.jpg

km

Archived