Order of tags matters?

Guest Stockfotoart

I'm a newbie this morning too. So if the order of Supertags is important, how does one re-order them - Is it to do with their original order in one's offline software?

Rgds,

Richard.

The order of supertags doesn't matter as Alamy states that all supertags carry the same weight.  Although I try to keep mine in order just in case.  It certainly does mater to the other tags.

Jill

Guest Stockfotoart
On 6.2.2017 at 16:20, Jill Morgan said:

Yes, it does. It has always mattered as Alamy have stated a number of times.

Jill

Jill

well I read the blog about tagging four times meanwhile, they don't say anything about that - do you know where they say it matters?

I'm gong by a number of posts on the forum, one not too long ago.

Jill

I'm a newbie this morning too. So if the order of Supertags is important, how does one re-order them - Is it to do with their original order in one's offline software?

Rgds,

Richard.

The order of supertags doesn't matter as Alamy states that all supertags carry the same weight.  Although I try to keep mine in order just in case.  It certainly does mater to the other tags.

Jill

How do you reorder other tags?

Guest Stockfotoart
On 6.2.2017 at 16:48, tarsierspectral said:

On 6.2.2017 at 16:31, Jill Morgan said:

On 6.2.2017 at 16:29, Richard Baker said:

Rgds,

Richard.

Jill

How do you reorder other tags?

the trouble is, I add tags as they pop into my head, and often add additional ones a few minutes/hours/later when the word I was struggling to recall finally comes to me. I can't see an obvious way of arranging the final order.

Geoff

Guest Stockfotoart
On 6.2.2017 at 16:55, Richard Baker said:

Are we saying that we'd write the 50th least important tag first, working up to the 50th most important last? If so, that's madness.

well I wrote to the contributor support - we will see

Me too, along with a growing list of other questions that aren't answered in the manual though perhaps somewhere in the forum. Somewhere. Would appreciate you letting me know their answer -  as will I. 

Jill

well I read the blog about tagging four times meanwhile, they don't say anything about that - do you know where they say it matters?

Jill

I emailed Alamy this morning asking: Do all supertags have the same weighting regardless of order saved?

Reply from Alamy:

"The order of tags and supertags is not relevant to the search results and they carry the same weighting in search results regardless of order. Tags are ordered by when they were added so the tags you add first are at the top."

Joe

the trouble is, I add tags as they pop into my head, and often add additional ones a few minutes/hours/later when the word I was struggling to recall finally comes to me. I can't see an obvious way of arranging the final order.

Geoff

Geoff  I'm with you, sometimes it's even day's later, surely there is an easy way.. 

Guest Stockfotoart
On 6.2.2017 at 17:03, Richard Baker said:

well I wrote to the contributor support - we will see

Me too, along with a growing list of other questions that aren't answered in the manual though perhaps somewhere in the forum. Somewhere. Would appreciate you letting me know their answer -  as will I. 

Guest Stockfotoart
On 6.2.2017 at 17:03, Joe said:

On 6.2.2017 at 16:42, Jill Morgan said:

On 6.2.2017 at 16:35, Stockfotoart said:

On 6.2.2017 at 16:20, Jill Morgan said:

Jill

Jill

I emailed Alamy this morning asking: Do all supertags have the same weighting regardless of order saved?

Reply from Alamy:

"The order of tags and supertags is not relevant to the search results and they carry the same weighting in search results regardless of order. Tags are ordered by when they were added so the tags you add first are at the top."

Joe

The order of tags and supertags is not relevant to the search results

So if they're not relevant to search results, why should we worry about their order?

the trouble is, I add tags as they pop into my head,

I'm sure that applies to everyone here: We might have good brains but we aren't blessed with AI. yet!

I've already answered this question somewhere else.

This is a quote from the latest Alamy blog about tagging 

"Try to avoid adding alphabetical lists of tags. Proximity of one tag compared to another used in a multi-word search can have an effect on where it appears in the sort order, which is why we’d recommend adding phrases / multi-word tags where appropriate."

​The answers people are getting from CR are confusing.  One wonderers if anybody actually knows!

Pearl

Guest Stockfotoart
On 6.2.2017 at 17:15, Pearl said:

"Try to avoid adding alphabetical lists of tags. Proximity of one tag compared to another used in a multi-word search can have an effect on where it appears in the sort order, which is why we’d recommend adding phrases / multi-word tags where appropriate."

The answers people are getting from CR are confusing.  One wonderers if anybody actually knows!

Pearl

​The answers people are getting from CR are confusing.  One wonderers if anybody actually knows!

Pearl

Unfortunately I fear you may be right...

Pearl

I read that as well in the blog but this is not contradictory that the order of tags doesn't matter. The relevant passage in the blog refers to tags like "Berlin wall" meaning that the relevant image with the tag "berlin wall" (one tag) appears earlier in the search than tagged "berlin" and "wall" (2 tags). They refer as they say to a "multi-word search"

Yes, but that's referring to multi-word tags appearing higher in the results if the customer types a matching multiword search , which makes sense. The potential contradiction is about the order of single keywords.

Guest Stockfotoart
On 6.2.2017 at 17:25, M.Chapman said:

On 6.2.2017 at 17:20, Stockfotoart said:

On 6.2.2017 at 17:15, Pearl said:

The answers people are getting from CR are confusing.  One wonderers if anybody actually knows!

Pearl

I read that as well in the blog but this is not contradictory that the order of tags doesn't matter. The relevant passage in the blog refers to tags like "Berlin wall" meaning that the relevant image with the tag "berlin wall" (one tag) appears earlier in the search than tagged "berlin" and "wall" (2 tags). They refer as they say to a "multi-word search"

Yes, but that's referring to multi-word tags appearing higher in the results if the customer types a matching multiword search , which makes sense. The potential contradiction is about the order of single keywords.

Pearl

that's not true.  My image tagged with two separate supertags show higher in search result than the image that has one multiword supertag.

Pearl

that's not true.  My image tagged with two separate supertags show higher in search result than the image that has one multiword supertag.

This is exactly what I have found from my own testing. Adding multi-word keywords is pushing my images down the search order.

Pearl

I don't find it confusing.  Order of supertags doesn't matter.  It's the order of the other tags that matter as supertags only make up 10 of your up to 50 tags.

Jill

Archived