Order of tags matters?

Guest Stockfotoart

Jill - Thanks for posting that.

So in other words, staff at Alamy don't know either? They are still contradicting themselves. Either tag order matters a lot, a little, or not at all.

Geoff.

Order equals whether it is tag #1, tag #2 or tag #20.  This doesn't matter.  What matters is that the tags that need to be together are next to each other, but it doesn't matter whether they were the first tags you put in or the last tags you put in.  

So when typing in tags you only need to worry about the order of tags you want placed next to each other..

This was my email to Alamy:

There seems to be some confusion between contributors on whether keyword order matters.

Here on the blog we are told placement of keywords is important:

"Try to avoid adding alphabetical lists of tags. Proximity of one tag compared to another used in a multi-word search can have an effect on where it appears in the sort order, which is why we’d recommend adding phrases / multi-word tags where appropriate."

But then someone recieved an email with this info:

"The order of tags and supertags is not relevant to the search results and they carry the same weighting in search results regardless of order. Tags are ordered by when they were added so the tags you add first are at the top."

The two statements contradict each other. Does order matter or not? Should I be sure that "toronto" and "ontario" are next to each other, or does it matter? Will a search for "toronto ontario" give my image the same position whether they two tags are next to each other or 5 tags apart?

Jil

This is their response:

Hi Jill,

The order isn’t as important as the proximity; for example if you had an image of New York City, and tagging it with Beautiful, Streets, People, Metropolitan, however you ordered your tags, you would want New, York, and City to be next to each other within the tags, to make sure the image is optimally searchable;

NOT New, Beautiful, City, Streets, People, York, Metropolian

BUT Beautiful, Streets, New, York, City, Metropolitan, People

Ideally you would make New York City a Supertag Phrase.

So for Toronto, if you were tagging it as Toronto Ontario, you would want the tags to be next to each other if separate, or as a phrase.

Hope this helps!

Thanks,

Siobhan

Contributor Relations

So whether the two tags are first, tenth or 40th, doesn't matter as long as they stay next to each other.

Jill

Why would then my two identically tagged images show far apart in the search result? The only difference is the tag order (and when they were uploaded).

I would think part of the new search is that a newer image would appear before an older one.  We have to remember that tags are no the only defining factor in how images are placed in search.  

Jill

There seems to be some confusion between contributors on whether keyword order matters. 

"Try to avoid adding alphabetical lists of tags. Proximity of one tag compared to another used in a multi-word search can have an effect on where it appears in the sort order, which is why we’d recommend adding phrases / multi-word tags where appropriate."

"The order of tags and supertags is not relevant to the search results and they carry the same weighting in search results regardless of order. Tags are ordered by when they were added so the tags you add first are at the top."

The two statements contradict each other.  Does order matter or not?  Should I be sure that "toronto" and "ontario" are next to each other, or does it matter? Will a search for "toronto ontario" give my image the same position whether they two tags are next to each other or 5 tags apart?

Jil

This is their response:

Hi Jill,

The order isn’t as important as the proximity; for example if you had an image of New York City, and tagging it with Beautiful, Streets, People, Metropolitan, however you ordered your tags, you would want New, York, and City to be next to each other within the tags, to make sure the image is optimally searchable;

So for Toronto, if you were tagging it as Toronto Ontario, you would want the tags to be next to each other if separate, or as a phrase.

Hope this helps!

Thanks,

Siobhan

Contributor Relations

So whether the two tags are first, tenth or 40th, doesn't matter as long as they stay next to each other.

Jill

I think this supports what I quoted from their blog.  Proximity does matter but it is difficult to achieve when the order of tags cannot be changed. So using multi-word tags is the only way to get definite proximity now.  I think a lot of people are confusing order with proximity but they are related i.e. you can't guarantee proximity without some control over the order. 

CR are not explaining this very clearly.

Pearl

The two statements contradict each other.  Does order matter or not?  Should I be sure that "toronto" and "ontario" are next to each other, or does it matter? Will a search for "toronto ontario" give my image the same position whether they two tags are next to each other or 5 tags apart?

Jil

This is their response:

Hi Jill,

Hope this helps!

Thanks,

Siobhan

Contributor Relations

Jill

I think this supports what I quoted from their blog.  Proximity does matter but it is difficult to achieve when the order of tags cannot be changed. So using multi-word tags is the only way to get definite proximity now.  I think a lot of people are confusing order with proximity but they are related i.e. you can't guarantee proximity without some control over the order. 

Pearl

You got it Pearl.  And the only time this is an issue is when you are going through legacy images as you can't add new tags to be sure those tags are together if the legacy images have over 50 tags.  

Pearl

What Jill and you have posted Pearl is helpful and I think I'm getting it now.

It does seem though that it's pointless even trying to put 2 single word tags next to each other. If you want them to be together, just use a multi-word tag. Each individual word is still searchable (which is something Alamy have confirmed although I completely disagree that this should be the case).

So we're back to the other problem of tag position changing, reversing, sorting alphabetically, or whatever it is some have found.  :)

I think it would be much simpler if CR would tell us not to worry about tag order at all, but to use multi-word tags if we want words to be put together.

Geoff.

I put in the single as well as the multiple word tag as if some just searches "toronto" and I just have "toronto ontario" then single tags will get higher weight than my multi word tag (which is what as should be as shown in their Rhinoceros Beetle example on the blog.) This avoids totally unrelated images showing up in the early pages, giving the photographer a useless view that affects their CTR and the customer useless images.  So I'm all for that.

I find 50 tags more than enough that I can cover all the bases.

Jill

Jil

This is their response:

Hi Jill,

Hope this helps!

Thanks,

Siobhan

Contributor Relations

Jill

Pearl

You got it Pearl.  And the only time this is an issue is when you are going through legacy images as you can't add new tags to be sure those tags are together if the legacy images have over 50 tags.  

Pearl

It does seem though that it's pointless even trying to put 2 single word tags next to each other. If you want them to be together, just use a multi-word tag. Each individual word is still searchable (which is something Alamy have confirmed although I completely disagree that this should be the case).

So we're back to the other problem of tag position changing, reversing, sorting alphabetically, or whatever it is some have found.  :)

I think it would be much simpler if CR would tell us not to worry about tag order at all, but to use multi-word tags if we want words to be put together.

Geoff.

I put in the single as well as the multiple word tag as if some just searches "toronto" and I just have "toronto ontario" then single tags will get higher weight than my multi word tag (which is what as should be as shown in their Rhinoceros Beetle example on the blog.) This avoids totally unrelated images showing up in the early pages, giving the photographer a useless view that affects their CTR and the customer useless images.  So I'm all for that.

Jill

converting my legacy images tags, from singular tags to multiword tags sends lower in the search results.

Jil

This is their response:

Hi Jill,

Hope this helps!

Thanks,

Siobhan

Contributor Relations

Jill

Pearl

Pearl

Geoff.

Jill

converting my legacy images tags, from singular tags to multiword tags sends lower in the search results.

I think this is proving that you need both if the single tag is an important factor and an image editor will use that single tag as a search because Alamy has stated (again using the Rhinoceros Beetle example) that a single word in a multi-word tag gets lower standing.  As it should be.

Jill

As far as I notice, proximity and phrases are only important IF the customer searches by using " ".

• Search for mole molehill >> my image lands on page 4 of 6 (505 images)
  • Search for "mole molehill" >> my image lands on top of page 1 of 2 (144 images)

I have the tags mole molehill next to each other. Question is ..... how often does a customer uses " "  ?

Cheers,

Philippe

I looked at your molehill examples and I see you have "mole molehill" as one tag.  That might be why it comes up higher with the quotes.

Jill

As far as I notice, proximity and phrases are only important IF the customer searches by using " ".

• Search for mole molehill >> my image lands on page 4 of 6 (505 images)
  • Search for "mole molehill" >> my image lands on top of page 1 of 2 (144 images)

I have the tags mole molehill next to each other. Question is ..... how often does a customer uses " "  ?

Cheers,

Philippe

That's easy: "" do show up in AoA.

wim

May be you found some solutions for the following problems:

1. the multi word tags are limited in space, it's impossible to tag a long name for a research institution in one single tag; the only solution is to name it in the caption or description

2. Because of the limited space of a multi word tag it might be necessary to put two multi word tags in proximity. The moment one of them is labeled „super tag“ it changes its position and isn't in proximity with the other tag in question (let's assume it's not a super tag). One needs hours if ever one suceeds at all to get this simple thing settled

1. I wonder why a system is created in which proximity matters but there is no way to change the order of tags. This make a tremendous work because images tagged in the old system have to be completely worked on. This is complicated again because I didn't find any way to delete all tags with one click.

Edit

4. I labeled 14 supertags and saved without any problem but the IM says there are only 10 supertags ..... anyone else having to repeat elementrary school? :rolleyes:

Proximity does not matter in supertags as all supertags carry equal weight.

I do think it would be great to be able to change the order of tags by dragging them around. Perhaps down the line Alamy will add this feature..

I have never been able to add more than 10 supertags to one image. You may see more than 10 if you have more than one image selected.

Jill

• the multi word tags are limited in space, it's impossible to tag a long name for a research institution in one single tag; the only solution is to name it in the caption or description

• Because of the limited space of a multi word tag it might be necessary to put two multi word tags in proximity. The moment one of them is labeled „super tag“ it changes its position and isn't in proximity with the other tag in question (let's assume it's not a super tag). One needs hours if ever one suceeds at all to get this simple thing settled

• I wonder why a system is created in which proximity matters but there is no way to change the order of tags. This make a tremendous work because images tagged in the old system have to be completely worked on. This is complicated again because I didn't find any way to delete all tags with one click.

Edit

4. I labeled 14 supertags and saved without any problem but the IM says there are only 10 supertags ..... anyone else having to repeat elementrary school? :rolleyes:

I do think it would be great to be able to change the order of tags by dragging them around. Perhaps down the line Alamy will add this feature..

I have never been able to add more than 10 supertags to one image. You may see more than 10 if you have more than one image selected.

Jill

But tags do not carry the same weight only supertags?

The first tag is more important than the third tag?

• the multi word tags are limited in space, it's impossible to tag a long name for a research institution in one single tag; the only solution is to name it in the caption or description

• Because of the limited space of a multi word tag it might be necessary to put two multi word tags in proximity. The moment one of them is labeled „super tag“ it changes its position and isn't in proximity with the other tag in question (let's assume it's not a super tag). One needs hours if ever one suceeds at all to get this simple thing settled

• I wonder why a system is created in which proximity matters but there is no way to change the order of tags. This make a tremendous work because images tagged in the old system have to be completely worked on. This is complicated again because I didn't find any way to delete all tags with one click.

Edit

Jill

Order of tags means nothing.  Proximity, especially in the non supertags, is important. From my understanding all supertags are equal so whether something is next to each other or not won't matter.  If someone is searching for "red cow" then because all tags are equal then proximity won't matter whether red and cow are next to each other or not.  Your image should be searched the same as someone who had "red" and "cow" next to each other.

But going to send a quick email to CS just to be sure. I may be wrong.  :o  It has happened in the past.

Edited to add:  I have not a supertag move until I save my changes.  So are you saying yours moves as soon as you click the blue star?

Edit

Jill

Order of tags means nothing. Proximity, especially in the non supertags, is important. From my understanding all supertags are equal so whether something is next to each other or not won't matter. If someone is searching for "red cow" then because all tags are equal then proximity won't matter whether red and cow are next to each other or not. Your image should be searched the same as someone who had "red" and "cow" next to each other.

But going to send a quick email to CS just to be sure. I may be wrong. :o It has happened in the past.

Yes but my question is about tags not supertags.

Page 1 of this thread:

Reply from Alamy:

"Try to avoid adding alphabetical lists of tags." 

Cannot help this if Lightroom is used for keywording.  In the absence of being able to drag and drop tags, the only way for Lightroom users to avoid an alphabetical list is to re-do all the tags again after upload.  

Proximity of one tag compared to another used in a multi-word search can have an effect on where it appears in the sort order

If you enter new or replacement tags, the last entered is the last on the list, so that if you wanted to have successive separate tags in a particular order, then they have to be entered in the right order: again, no drag and drop makes this virtually impossible without a lot of work re-keywording.  This seems like a lot of hard work and planning to start again to get everything in the order you want.  We are presently told that we can use multi-word tags and that words within them are equally discoverable compared to separate tags, but who knows if and when Alamy might change the rules again in the future: separate tags seems to me to be the best way to future-proof my portfolio as far as I can, but getting them in the right order would waste a lot of time (and you cannot do this anyway for older images with more than 50 tags without re-addressing not only the order but also the number of tags you want to retain).

This is simply unworkable.  I for one am not going to re-tag all my images after they pass QC simply to avoid an alphabetical list.  If this impacts on my images being seen in searches, so be it.  I have for the last five years or so given Alamy de facto exclusivity for my RM images, and I have been willing to spend the time getting the keywords as I wish to see them via the old IM, but the more I see of the new system and (I believe) understand how it works, the more I am thinking that there are much better ways to spend my time promoting my images than working within the new system in order to achieve even the basics of getting my keywords in an order which will enhance their visibility.

Graham

Edit

Jill

Order of tags means nothing. Proximity, especially in the non supertags, is important. From my understanding all supertags are equal so whether something is next to each other or not won't matter. If someone is searching for "red cow" then because all tags are equal then proximity won't matter whether red and cow are next to each other or not. Your image should be searched the same as someone who had "red" and "cow" next to each other.

But going to send a quick email to CS just to be sure. I may be wrong. :o It has happened in the past.

Yes but my question is about tags not supertags.

I can't repeat this issue.  All my tags are in the correct order that I typed them in. And stay that way when I save them, whether supertags or regular tags.  As to your 14 supertags. I did come across this just now in legacy images, and if copying from one to another, quite often it will go over the 10, but can't do that if working on a single image.

Interesting.

"Try to avoid adding alphabetical lists of tags." 

Cannot help this if Lightroom is used for keywording.  In the absence of being able to drag and drop tags, the only way for Lightroom users to avoid an alphabetical list is to re-do all the tags again after upload.  

Proximity of one tag compared to another used in a multi-word search can have an effect on where it appears in the sort order

If you enter new or replacement tags, the last entered is the last on the list, so that if you wanted to have successive separate tags in a particular order, then they have to be entered in the right order: again, no drag and drop makes this virtually impossible without a lot of work re-keywording.  This seems like a lot of hard work and planning to start again to get everything in the order you want.  We are presently told that we can use multi-word tags and that words within them are equally discoverable compared to separate tags, but who knows if and when Alamy might change the rules again in the future: separate tags seems to me to be the best way to future-proof my portfolio as far as I can, but getting them in the right order would waste a lot of time (and you cannot do this anyway for older images with more than 50 tags without re-addressing not only the order but also the number of tags you want to retain).

This is simply unworkable.  I for one am not going to re-tag all my images after they pass QC simply to avoid an alphabetical list.  If this impacts on my images being seen in searches, so be it.  I have for the last five years or so given Alamy de facto exclusivity for my RM images, and I have been willing to spend the time getting the keywords as I wish to see them via the old IM, but the more I see of the new system and (I believe) understand how it works, the more I am thinking that there are much better ways to spend my time promoting my images than working within the new system in order to achieve even the basics of getting my keywords in an order which will enhance their visibility.

Graham

From previous post long ago from Alamy, proximity has always been a factor in search, not just now.  so if you weren't having issues before, don't worry about it.

Jill

From previous post long ago from Alamy, proximity has always been a factor in search, not just now.  so if you weren't having issues before, don't worry about it.

Absolutely right.  With the old IM I would typically cut keywords from the order in which they appeared and paste them back into the locations I wanted, to achieve the proximity I wanted.  I cannot do that any more.

Graham

Page 1 of this thread:

Reply from Alamy:

So if the order of supertags and tags doesn't matter then proximity shouldn't matter either.  And if proximity matters then you have to order your tags/supertags in a certain way, so it has to do with order, which is not possible to change after you put them in. 

So if the order of supertags and tags doesn't matter then proximity shouldn't matter either. 

And if the order does not matter, why has Alamy said that we should avoid alphabetical lists of tags?

Exactly

Because proximity matters.  Not sureif proximity is as important in supertags as regular tags. Am emailing about that.

Jill

So if the order of supertags and tags doesn't matter then proximity shouldn't matter either. 

And if the order does not matter, why has Alamy said that we should avoid alphabetical lists of tags?

Exactly

Because proximity matters.  Not sureif proximity is as important in supertags as regular tags. Am emailing about that.

Jill

But proximity has to do with order, so order matters in a way that to put your tags next to each other you have to order them.

Archived