IM keyword reuse workaround

In "all submissions", if you scroll down and wait for the images to load, the centre screen does appear to "remember" all the images (I haven't checked if it survives hibernation, no reason it shouldn't.) You can then scroll down, select your target image, then scroll back up to the new images and select the common keywords.

You do need to know your images quite well though. It may be slower than copying and pasting tags from a document.

In "all submissions", if you scroll down and wait for the images to load, the centre screen does appear to "remember" all the images (I haven't checked if it survives hibernation, no reason it shouldn't.) You can then scroll down, select your target image, then scroll back up to the new images and select the common keywords.

You do need to know your images quite well though. It may be slower than copying and pasting tags from a document.

Thanks for posting that Mark.

I had thought of that but, as you say, it is a matter of finding the image you want to copy from quickly and even with something over 3000 images it is not fast. :(

Do not envy you doing what you suggest with over 7000 images. :wacko:

What we could do is bring up two browser screens side by side with the images we are KWing in one and the other with the search function selected.

Search for the image/s we need in one window to find them quickly and when we know where it/they is/are then scroll down to the image we want in the first window.

I did try to copy in one window and paste to the other window but it does not work that way. :angry:

Allan

It's what I always used to do so I tried that first. Pesky carriage returns did for that so now I'm copying, find and replace CRs with a comma, paste.

Yes, 7000 would be a bit much but I probably only need to go back a year or so for the old keywords tags. It took a few minutes  to scroll down that far. Select and unselect takes a couple of seconds with that many images open but it's only to select one or two so it's tolerable. I've pinned the tab so I don't use it for something else. See how it works. Hopefully it'll be fixed before I have to use it much- not many pix for me to take in winter.

You could certainly try it with all yours. There's no way to find the image you want other than by knowing roughly where it is.

If you're tagging images that have any keywords in common, which you would be to select a batch, use the common keyword as a search term in the Search option (next to Filters). Or am I missing something else you're needing to do?  You would have to enter a single tag in any new images to include them in the search results.

Agree with KevinS here. If I want common tags of (say) Pattaya, I simply type that word in the search box and up come all images tagged accordingly which in this case would only amount to a few hundred as opposed to 5,400 being my total.

My procedure.

Start with the first image in my first submission.

If it is an image of Niagara Falls in winter do a search for Niagara Falls winter. This brings up maybe 50 images submitted over the years. Images that could be divided into 3 keyword groups. Select the first keyword group of maybe 20 images from the 50.

In the first keyword group.

Delete any dated or weak images from the group.

My data has mostly come through intact, without duplicates, but I eliminate any bad data and my bad keywording. Upgrade some tags to supertags. Add new supertag phrases that are really the same supertags said in a different way IE for old retained supertag of Niagara Falls add additional supertags Canadian Falls,Horseshoe Falls,falls,waterfall,water,Niagara

Convert now tagged group to RF

Select in tagged group any images FEATURING PEOPLE OR PROPERTY CLOSE UP and check editorial box. Do not worry about crowd scenes etc

Select the second group and repeat. Select the third group and repeat.

I have now tagged all images of Niagara Falls in winter

Go back and search on the second image in my first submission.

As you work through your early submissions you will find that more and more images have already been tagged properly, and the work goes much quicker.

If you're tagging images that have any keywords in common, which you would be to select a batch, use the common keyword as a search term in the Search option (next to Filters). Or am I missing something else you're needing to do?  You would have to enter a single tag in any new images to include them in the search results.

You can't bring up an image from search next to new images in order to duplicate tags unless you've tagged the new images and waited for an update. There's no equivalent to the old "select" bar at the bottom of the screen.

For those uploading new images, and use PS/Bridge, open both programs and locate the old image you often may want to duplicate tags. I Develop my images in LR but then open them into PS and save to a desktop folder. This folder is what I open in Bridge and keyword in.

Highlight the image in Bridge. Go to Tools>create template and click on it. All the tags will now be in the new template. Title it in a way that will be easy to find.

Now you can make a basic template with your tags.

For instance if I make a new template from an image I just keyworded, a subject I've never shot before but may shoot again,

Say a bird, I'll take out the tags like fence, or oak tree, or things that change from image to image.

What I leave in are common tags to every image of that bird.

Name of bird

Scientific name

Bird birds

Animal animals,

Avian

Outdoors

Nobody

Day daytime

Oklahoma,US,USA,United States, North America

Be sure you have a comma after each tag/phrase.

The title might be: American Robin, Turdious migratorus ( unsure of spelling, that's what templates are for. SAVE

The next time you shoot something you know you will use many of those keywords again, highlight the new image in Bridge and go to Tools>apply template. You will see a list of your made templates in alphabetical order. If you've titled it correctly, you'll find it click on it, and all your tags will be applied to the new image/images.

Here's where you add specific words like snow, eating, etc. click out of the image and you'll be prompted to save your tags to the image.

With the new MI, it is easier if you list your tags in order of importance when you create your templates because it makes finding the ones you want for supertags right at the top. These don't reverse but stay just as you typed them into the template.

Instead of uploading and trying to tag from scratch, and trying to find that old image to copy from, it is so much easier to find a template in Bridge.

I know most will look on my method with disdain, but if it helps one or two who read this, maybe new contributors, it's worth all the time typing it out.

Betty

For those uploading new images, and use PS/Bridge, open both programs and locate the old image you often may want to duplicate tags. I Develop my images in LR but then open them into PS and save to a desktop folder. This folder is what I open in Bridge and keyword in.

Highlight the image in Bridge. Go to Tools>create template and click on it. All the tags will now be in the new template. Title it in a way that will be easy to find.

Now you can make a basic template with your tags.

For instance if I make a new template from an image I just keyworded, a subject I've never shot before but may shoot again,

Say a bird, I'll take out the tags like fence, or oak tree, or things that change from image to image.

What I leave in are common tags to every image of that bird.

Name of bird

Scientific name

Bird birds

Animal animals,

Avian

Outdoors

Nobody

Day daytime

Oklahoma,US,USA,United States, North America

Be sure you have a comma after each tag/phrase.

The title might be: American Robin, Turdious migratorus ( unsure of spelling, that's what templates are for. SAVE

The next time you shoot something you know you will use many of those keywords again, highlight the new image in Bridge and go to Tools>apply template. You will see a list of your made templates in alphabetical order. If you've titled it correctly, you'll find it click on it, and all your tags will be applied to the new image/images.

Here's where you add specific words like snow, eating, etc. click out of the image and you'll be prompted to save your tags to the image.

With the new MI, it is easier if you list your tags in order of importance when you create your templates because it makes finding the ones you want for supertags right at the top. These don't reverse but stay just as you typed them into the template.

Instead of uploading and trying to tag from scratch, and trying to find that old image to copy from, it is so much easier to find a template in Bridge.

I know most will look on my method with disdain, but if it helps one or two who read this, maybe new contributors, it's worth all the time typing it out.

Betty

I also use a number of templates in Bridge. I have a whole series by subject. Example:

Bird, Birds, Wildlife, Fauna, Nature, Animal, One, 1, Nobody

Aerial View, Birds Eye View, Overview, from Above

Close-up, Close up, Closeup, Details, Detail

Cloud, Clouds, Cloudscape, Cloud Formations, Cloud Formation

Landscape, Nature, Nobody, Picturesque, Scenic, Scenery, View, Vista

etc, etc

I just append one or several as appropriate to an image. When uploaded in the new AIM, it's just a matter of choosing super-tags individually or in a batch. Click click done. Super-quick.

However, I'm not as organised as you Betty, the words in my templates are not in importance order.

The only drawback is that I find the words in the grey area of AIM not very easy to read after a while, they're too pale.

Good advice there ladies reference templates in Bridge. I must give that a try.

ReeRay, you'll like it and it speeds up tagging a lot. Especially any images that require scientific names. I have templates for a lot of flowers, trees and other plants. These are tags you don't want to look up every time.

When I first set up templates, I made the mistake of leaving in tags that were changeable from image to image. So I have to remove those from some of my new fields. Just remember to only leave in the tags that will be used every time.

You can't bring up an image from search next to new images in order to duplicate tags unless you've tagged the new images and waited for an update. There's no equivalent to the old "select" bar at the bottom of the screen.

That's definitely my main gripe so far. I've used the select option all the time with a rough copy and paste of keywords from similar images, then did the fine tune afterwards. Just from the first few attempts this morning, any of the various new ways of marrying old keywords with new images prove very, very time consuming and long winded. Gnaaa! *goes for a little cry. Wipes the tears away, then goes for an evey bigger cry*

Archived