Sometimes it pays to be last-minute. I finally got around to submitting my DACS claim last week, and today I received this e-mail message:

"Congratulations - I’m delighted to inform you that you have won our Payback competition to win a £100 Amazon voucher. Everyone who submitted a Payback claim in the first week of September were automatically entered into this prize draw."

Very pleasant surprise. Any other winners out there?

P.S. Actually, it's a huge surprise. I seldom win anything.

Sometimes it pays to be last-minute. I finally got around to submitting my DACS claim last week, and today I received this e-mail message:

"Congratulations - I’m delighted to inform you that you have won our Payback competition to win a £100 Amazon voucher. Everyone who submitted a Payback claim in the first week of September were automatically entered into this prize draw."

Forgive my cynical tone, but have you actually won anything... or have you been 'entered in a prize draw', with the possibility of winning something?

Forgive my cynical tone, but have you actually won anything... or have you been 'entered in a prize draw', with the possibility of winning something?

Nope. I actually won something.

My DACS claim was in before the first week in September as, probably, many more were also.

So you won by being late. :)

Allan

It seems I'm a late bloomer. Question is how well will a voucher issued in a mysterious currency used in a faraway land work on this side of the world.

Congratulations, John! I vaguely recall that those of us who dutifully submitted our claims to DACS early were entered in a draw for an iPad (or something). Alas, as is the norm, I have heard nothing. On the bright side at least I won't have to start getting to grips with yet another piece of technology which I don't really need. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Maybe you can buy ebooks or other downloadable stuff?

I'm thinking of ordering a new camera bag. Shipping from the UK will amount to about 70% of the cost of the bag, but what the heck.

Hadn't thought of the downloadable option. Good suggestion. If I had a 3 D printer, I guess I could even download a camera bag. B)

UPDATE: The payback voucher arrived today. Unfortunately, I can only redeem it on the UK version of Amazon, which means I'll have to pay some onerous shipping costs, plus duty and taxes as well by the looks of it.

Maybe hang on to it, after all we're going to do a super-duper trade deal with you after we leave the EU, haha.

Also, the pound is tanking at the moment so it'll be worth more.

Hi John,

How about a swap with an Alamy contributor based in the UK who has both an Amazon and a paypal account? You send them the voucher code by email, they send you about* on £100 by Paypal. *They'd be some loss in transfer somewhere I'm sure, which would need checking, but it might be less than the losses ordering from Amazon UK. Does the voucher have an expiry date and does it have your name on it? If not then it could be a way of avoiding some of the "losses" associated with your prize? 

Mark

Thanks much for the useful suggestions. Think I will contact DACS to see if there is some way that I can use the voucher on the Canadian version of Amazon.

Either that or I'll wait to use the voucher until after the November US presidential election is over in November because everything's gonna be great then. Gonna be GREAT. B)

Archived