Free online photography/ PP courses from Alamy & Shaw Academy

Hi folks...

Just found an email from Alamy about free online photography courses with Shaw Academy. Thought I'd give a heads up in case they would be useful for anyone, since my email ended up in my junk folder and was only by chance I saw it! - There's photography, wedding photography, Lightroom, Photoshop,videography and phone camera photography.

Free, plus a certificate at the end - Winner in my book :lol:  

Lizzy

Has anybody any opinion on these courses and this offer? It looks tempting on the face of things -I could probably pick up a few new things on the Diploma in Video course and, as I know almost nothing about social media, I would be interested in Social Media Marketing. However, I'm old enough to know that there is no such thing as a free lunch and and a born cynic to boot, so I wonder what is the catch and what to Shaw Academy plan to gain from their largesse?  

I saw this and was tempted by the offer of a free course, which looked good in terms of content and method of delivery, but then I saw that the T&Cs are those that automatically enrol you into some kind of monthly commitment UNLESS you cancel your free membership by the end of the first month. I don't know about you guys but I am hopeless at cancelling free subscriptions and then they end up costing more than the 'free' offering. Just a word of caution - am sure that otherwise the offer is a good one.

End of September will be Adobe's Photography week, where they cover in depth coverage of PS, LR, ACR and assorted photography classes such as landscape, sports, portrait etc over 8 days.

I usually watch what I can while it streams for free.  You can purchase the courses for future on demand access.

Jill

I have log in to see those T&Cs and the surprisse what they changed my selected course, Lightroom, by basic photography :D. I have just cancel my account. 

Automatically changes in the first steps to "As an added bonus, you have been registered for FREE to the Diploma in Photography course "

Since Apple have abandoned Aperture (and left pro photographers in the lurch), I have bought Lightroom. You know what they say about old dogs and new tricks, but I've signed up for the Lightroom course and hope to learn something new...

Hi everyone,

Just to address the two issues here that have popped up (Lightroom course and potential further payments), we contacted the Shaw Academy for clarification and this is what they've told us:

1.       The Lightroom course: From time to time, educator absence necessitates that courses are presented as Video on demand, for a short period of time, rather than live. In this instance we are sorry for the inconvenience, and are offering a free, live photography course as well as full access to the Lightroom course recordings from last month.

2.       Future payments: By taking up this offer, you are taking a free course, and NOT a trial subscription. Shaw will not ask for your payment details whilst signing up for the free courses, and you are under no further obligation to study with the Shaw Academy nor any obligation to pay. Should you decide to take up additional courses or other chargeable services, this is totally at your discretion and the free course offer is not affected by this.

We hope this clears things up and eases any concerns.

Cheers

Alamy

Has anybody any opinion on these courses and this offer? It looks tempting on the face of things -I could probably pick up a few new things on the Diploma in Video course and, as I know almost nothing about social media, I would be interested in Social Media Marketing. However, I'm old enough to know that there is no such thing as a free lunch and and a born cynic to boot, so I wonder what is the catch and what to Shaw Academy plan to gain from their largesse?  

PhotoShelter has a free guide to Social Media For Photographers. It's not all that complicated. Just open an account of Twitter, Instagram, etc,  and avoid posting when you've had a few too many to drink. :)

Archived