Pros/Cons of Additional Revenue Options...

I'm pretty new to the stock biz but I see on "My Alamy" page there is a list of "Additional Revenue Options".  I would think that opting into all of them would mean more opportunities to increase revenue, so why wouldn't someone opt in to all of the options available?  What are the advantages and disadvantages of the different options?  Thanks.

There's a very simple answer: if you have a way to sell your images to those clients for more money, then you don't opt in.

Basically that's the answer to why use an agent in the first place: do I need a middle man?

The web surely was doing away with all middlemen? And it was for a short while when the internet was new.

Now you have established market places. And most photographers are not sellers, but producers of a commodity.

wim

If you are new to stock, by all means opt in to pretty well everything. If you establish a following and feel a need to protect some of your values or markets, then you might pause for a re-think. In the meantime don't fret about the nuances, you need to start uploading a decent sized portfolio before anything else.

No images; no sales!

As April is the month for opting in or out of 'Novel Use' I did a quick search on the forums to see what contributors think of the scheme but the search returned no results. Presumably Novel Use has been discussed a plenty?

Having gone through my latest payments I have just opted out of some of the lowest paying distributors e.g Slovak Republic.  I think I can live without the odd £1.07!!!

Pearl

As April is the month for opting in or out of 'Novel Use' I did a quick search on the forums to see what contributors think of the scheme but the search returned no results. Presumably Novel Use has been discussed a plenty?

I have a feeling that Novel Use has been discontinued.

Never signed up for it.

Anyone know ?

I thought Novel Use was phased out over a year ago. I got a bunch of micro-priced sales through the scheme - but a couple years ago got one for around $50 and a few above $10 each - but haven't seen an NU sale for a couple of years so I'm assuming it is now phased out.

Not thrilled with the UK newspaper scheme but as I'm from the US and don't have a direct connection to approach UK newspapers myself, I'm opted in there. 

I have a feeling that Novel Use has been discontinued.

Never signed up for it.

Anyone know ?

Thanks for the info, yes, I'd be interested to know from anyone else if they have sales that show it is continuing? Still have the rest of the month to make my decision to stay opted in or opt out so anymore experiences shared are welcome - thanks!!

Having gone through my latest payments I have just opted out of some of the lowest paying distributors e.g Slovak Republic.  I think I can live without the odd £1.07!!!

Pearl

And then there is that impoverished country, Germany. Six very low magazine sales popped up today through a German distributor.

Then again, I did sign up voluntarily for the distribution option, so I guess that I don't really have the luxury of whining. Still, I would have expected better prices in the affluent German market.

Archived