Is it time to leave the UK Newspaper Scheme?

I noticed a very low priced sale yesterday of $5.40 and checked this morning what it was. A sale for editorial use in the UK at any size and the image is now spread to numerous sites and blogs of the kind that are hopeless to pursue for infringement.

BTW time is coming up to opt out of the very low paying distribution territories (April).

Had three of them yesterday (Daily Mail web site?), i have better things to do than search out blogs for infringements....it goes with the territory.

Will I leave the scheme...why???? Just because some blog somewhere has my image on it doesn't mean I throw in the towel. My pictures can be embedded for blogs from G so it's now a part of stock.

Only saving grace with newspaper scheme is that volume does make up for some fees...which are incidentally a lot better than you often see from larger players than here for similar use.

+1 today

Usage: Editorial
Media: Editorial website
Industry sector: Media, design & publishing
Image Size: Any size
Start: 01 February 2016
End: 01 February 2021
One use in a single editorial or advertorial article used within web versions of titles from the same group. Digital usage includes archive rights for the lifetime of the article.  $5.40

Is it worth it?

Allan

Are these fees disappointing.......... YES

is it disappointing that even at these fees a certain publication fails to report all uses....VERY

How to combat it. Any use not reported by newspapers in the scheme are penalised by having to pay full calculator rate for the image. Until they are penalised they will continue to be lazy in reporting uses. If you had a client in whatever trade you are in who failed to declare proper use of a product you supplied you would remove any benefits they got from you.

However will this ever happen? NO. Alamy get a set fee per month from each newspaper in the scheme so it does not affect them financially if images are not reported correctly

Will I withdraw from the scheme...... PROBABLY NOT

As an aside I remember when alan answered questions online that had been sent in I think I remember him stating that if he had the time again he would not have brought in this newspaper scheme. If that's the case lets hope the contracts with the newspapers runs out soon and something better is put in place

Kevin

As an aside I remember when alan answered questions online that had been sent in I think I remember him stating that if he had the time again he would not have brought in this newspaper scheme. If that's the case lets hope the contracts with the newspapers runs out soon and something better is put in place

Kevin

Given the financial position of too many UK papers I rather doubt any negotiation would raise rates.

I was not too happy at the amounts we make with this Newspaper scheme. I have recorded around 30 odd uses for one particular image at around .$12 each. But the silver lining has come from chasing up all those who lifted this image from the newspaper involved. Earnings from this unexpected source - and that's without being greedy - are around 10 times the newspaper figure per infringement. There's over 650 unauthorised uses of this shot around the globe so a nice, albeit unexpected source of income, has found me.

I noticed a very low priced sale yesterday of $5.40 and checked this morning what it was. A sale for editorial use in the UK at any size and the image is now spread to numerous sites and blogs of the kind that are hopeless to pursue for infringement. BTW time is coming up to opt out of the very low paying distribution territories (April).

Tell me about it  :unsure:

See here.

Alamy, eat your heart out pursuing.

Cheers,

Philippe

government-2020.dupress.com/.../drone-...

5052 × 3368

This one probably was not nicked from the DM, but honestly licensed from Alamy.

Fortunately it still has all the metadata intact.

But at 5052 × 3368 at a governmental (?) website I would think it would be a much more likely source for lifting.

wim

Mine was in the Daily Mail, too.

Thank you all for your considerations, thoughts about disadvantages/advantages and information about your personal choice.

I won't make any hasty decision right now.

Niels

I have been so tempted to join the UK newspaper scheme on a number of occasions, just for the benefits of increasing ranking in Alamy.  I get brought back down to Earth, however, by the occasional thread such as this.  If I were able to keep on top of infringements, then it would be another matter... ;).

+1 today

Usage: Editorial

Media: Editorial website

Industry sector: Media, design & publishing

Image Size: Any size

Start: 01 February 2016

End: 01 February 2021

One use in a single editorial or advertorial article used within web versions of titles from the same group. Digital usage includes archive rights for the lifetime of the article.  $5.40

Is it worth it?

Allan

On the other hand if the number of sales counts towards improving your rank then I would rather have 100 sales at $5.40 than one (1) sale at $500.

The $500 sale would be welcome as well and more likely to come with high ranking than being at the bottom.

Allan

I have been so tempted to join the UK newspaper scheme on a number of occasions, just for the benefits of increasing ranking in Alamy. I get brought back down to Earth, however, by the occasional thread such as this. If I were able to keep on top of infringements, then it would be another matter... ;).

Of course we don't know how the ranking works exactly, but Alamy have stated that the $$$ amount of sales also factors in. So enough small sales could possibly bring down the average and reduce rank?

FWIW, I was always opted out until middle of last year and finally decided to give it a go. Not impressed, as others have said it brings far more infringements than $ in my pocket. Yes, also gives more chances to chase, but I already have plenty more infringement cases than I'd like... and online infringements generally don't pay well anyway. So, opting out again. Also, worth noting is that even when opted out of newspaper scheme I had sales to UK (online) papers, and prices were (at least slightly) better.

-Jason

I have always been in the newspaper scheme, and although it is frustrating to see sales to the Mail-online website for around $5, I have noticed recently that more sales are coming in in the $18-25 range, which although still not great does add up, and i think helps rank

Kumar

Well the Guardian online is now down to $8. My first sale was there- $82. Those were the days.

$82 how long ago was that Mark?

Pre year 2009 it wasn't unusual to have UK newspaper sales (print) in the $100-$200 gross price range. These were for stock (not news) images.

A lot has happened in the world since then.

Nowadays a complete printed half page (of your photograph) can barely cover the cost of buying a copy of the paper to provide a reference for your unreported work.

I still can not understand what is the reason, what happened since '09? We had the internet (digital news access) like we have it now. Is life getting cheaper? I don't see the bread and milk beeing cheaper at all, actually it's only getting more and more expensive like everything else. So what is going on that we pay more and earn less than ever before? What's the secret? Why isn't it working as it should?

I still can not understand what is the reason, what happened since '09? We had the internet (digital news access) like we have it now. Is life getting cheaper? I don't see the bread and milk beeing cheaper at all, actually it's only getting more and more expensive like everything else. So what is going on that we pay more and earn less than ever before? What's the secret? Why isn't it working as it should?

Credit crunch in late 2007 into 2008 forced many businesses to cut advertising spends, add in all the extra places you can now place ads on line and you have the perfect storm for publishers to have to lower advertsing rates. Add in a move to having an on line presence which costs most papers money and the only way to square the circle is to cut costs.....hence cut what they spend on buying in stock and/or on the workforce. Same has happened across many media outlets.

On the supply side, well these days everyone is a 'stock photographer'. Only pressure on prices on both sides is down....hence most pros have left the business or have diversified their other work. It's now the hobbyist or part timer who is supplying and often subsidising that supply. When you have a supply side that is basically not in business, i.e. they spend more than they gain or work for unrealistic renumeration, there's no incentive with that crowd-sourced model to look after the interests of the contrib.

I suspect that the fee is related to the pound/dollar exchange rate, it has recently drifted down as the pound has fallen. The plus side of this is we now take more pounds per dollar at the end of the month.

I seem to remember David Kilpatrick saying that it was not necessarily a bad thing when Alamy lost a Times contract, as those images that were used would be paid at a higher rate. Today only a minority of the photos in that paper are from Alamy, but, in my limited experience, the fees are somewhat better than those paid by the DM. It would be interesting to hear from shooters from the represented agencies, to know how much their photos are making there.

I've had the occasional image licensed for $5 - $7 in the last few months. The most recent was licensed to Metro online who reproduced it at a large scale ... for the princely sum of $5.61. And the image is now all over the internet! I do sell a lot of images through the newspaper scheme so If this stays an occasional thing I can just about swallow it, but if these prices become the norm there's no incentive to stay signed up if images don't even get licensed for a sum that will cover travel expenses.

Farmers will tell you that milk, for instance, is getting cheaper, at least in relation to cost of production. Dairy farmers face the same problem as us, global excess of supply over demand and take it or leave it (falling) prices from the big middlemen (wholesalers/supermarkets) at less than cost of production(rising). It's Economics 101 - supply and demand, price elasticity.

We need to do what many farmers are doing, take more control of our part in the supply chain. Dairy farmers have moved into adding value to their product (milk) by making and selling cheese, yoghurt etc. If we leave it to the third parties then income will continue to decline; especially shooting the easy, commodity, stuff that is accessible to everyone with a camera. If it can happen to oil then it will happen to us, and it will only get worse. I do not believe there is any way of putting that genie back in the bottle.

"Is it time to leave the UK newspaper scheme?"

Yes I think you should ALL leave the newspaper scheme  :lol:

Pearl

Agreed!

Actually, I'll go one step further, it should NEVER existed. It's an insult to ALL hard working photographers!

Archived