Tempted by the A7rii, has anyone had experience in using these?

Especially interested in build quality, weather sealing and getting it repaired/serviced.

Been told by a local repair shop that Sony cameras need to be sent to Sony - and I've come across a lot of bad reviews about Sony customer care...

Thanks

Sony customer service is breathtakingly bad if my experiences are anything to go by. I've had a DSC R-1 and currently have an a6000 outfit and won't go any deeper for this reason. Both produce great files but after dealing with customer service, I prefer Canon. (and Hasselblad too - it's a shame I have no reason to deal with them these days.)

I don't know if you've considered Fuji equipment at all.

Used their customer care/repair service in the UK, and been very impressed both times. Once under warranty, another after an accident.

Kept me informed, and turnaround just a matter of days (about 3-4).

I also use an old Hasselblad. Built like a tank and doesn't go wrong.

I don't know if you've considered Fuji equipment at all.

Used their customer care/repair service in the UK, and been very impressed both times. Once under warranty, another after an accident.

Kept me informed, and turnaround just a matter of days (about 3-4).

I also use an old Hasselblad. Built like a tank and doesn't go wrong.

I've had similar experience in similar situations with Fuji.

Interesting read for me.

About 20 years ago I had pretty bad experience with customer service of Sony.

Long story not to dwell into, but at the time I decided never to go with Sony again, regardless how technically advanced their equippment is.

There were times where I regretted, but I always stuck to my decission to date.

Seems they have not managed to improve their customer service for decades and this justifies my decission once again.  

Thankyou for your responses thus far!

Does anyone know if it is possible to get reliable repairs from an independent service provider? 

Based in UK (either Edinburgh or Glasgow)

My reason for not going to Fuji, is because of the sensor size (I'm kinda stuck on F/F and up!)

I've already got a 'blad 503cw - seized after trip to Uganda; also a Nikon D700 and some m/f Pentax lenses

The Sony is tempting due to it being smaller, lighter and easier to carry - and (I hope) less intrusive to use.

Seems like a good idea - so long as nothing goes wrong....

I have been very happy with Lehmann in Stock on Trent, they did work on my Canon kit.

???????

Allan

He's got cabin fever. Time for a strong coffee, no milk.

A senior moment! I am away to make a large, strong coffee. :rolleyes:

Stoke on Trent of course.

Interesting read for me.

Long story not to dwell into, but at the time I decided never to go with Sony again, regardless how technically advanced their equippment is.

Seems they have not managed to improve their customer service for decades and this justifies my decission once again.  

I too had an extremely bad experience with Sony over a new computer.  Sent me around by loops and loops and would get stuck with automated phone help.  Found myself screaming into the phone "I want to talk to a human" but would get: "Sorry, did not understand your answer".

Ended up taking in the computer to find out it was bad RAM and paid for the replacement myself, even though it was only a week old computer.  Never buy Sony again.

Jill

Interesting read for me.

I too had an extremely bad experience with Sony over a new computer.  Sent me around by loops and loops and would get stuck with automated phone help.  Found myself screaming into the phone "I want to talk to a human" but would get: "Sorry, did not understand your answer".

Ended up taking in the computer to find out it was bad RAM and paid for the replacement myself, even though it was only a week old computer.  Never buy Sony again.

Jill

In such circumstances I do not mess around.

I write/email directly to the (national) CEO and usually the Sales Director with my complaint. It often works quite quickly, I usually get a call from the CEO's executive assistant, or from a person in customer service. They have to act because they usually have the CEO paying an interest, and they know you can ge back to him or her if they do not handle it properly. I very politely aim for it to be more of a hassle for them not to deal with tthe matter to my satisfaction than it is for me to be to be a stone in their shoe! I haven't yet tried it but it seems that Twitter and Facebook are also useful tools in such circumstances, or as folow up if the CEO is slow to respond. Which reminds me I have a case that recently got stalled where social media may be useful!

I don't always get the result I want but it seems to work well in about 9 out of 10 cases (I do it about once a year).

Interesting read for me.

Jill

In such circumstances I do not mess around.

I write/email directly to the (national) CEO and usually the Sales Director with my complaint. It often works quite quickly, I usually get a call from the CEO's executive assistant, or from a person in customer service. They have to act because they usually have the CEO paying an interest, and they know you can ge back to him or her if they do not handle it properly. I very politely aim for it to be more of a hassle for them not to deal with tthe matter to my satisfaction than it is for me to be to be a stone in their shoe! I haven't yet tried it but it seems that Twitter and Facebook are also useful tools in such circumstances, or as folow up if the CEO is slow to respond. Which reminds me I have a case that recently got stalled where social media may be useful!

I don't always get the result I want but it seems to work well in about 9 out of 10 cases (I do it about once a year).

I know this works, but to be frank this is not really a CEO matter. 

Also works if you register your profession as lawyer, judge, journalist, politician or the like.

But this is not how it should be - Either a company performs or it does not.

It appears to me as if they did not manage to get CS perform smoothly for decades.

To me it is not only the product that counts, I admit they have some good stuff, but also the service and support. 

I rather work with a supplier that has an inferior product but flawless customer service and support. 

Professionally one cannot risk to have a production line stop, which costs fortunes every minute the service is delayed. 

In my opinion a supplier with non-existing support has to be ditched and not given a fifth chance as long as there are other suppliers out there.

This is not related to Sony but does have a relationship to repairs and servicing as well as relating a very good customer experience with WEX - a major photographic retailer in Norwich, England. About a week ago I bought a used Color Munki Photo ( a spectrophotometer for monitor and printer profiling) from WEX for about £270 (£70 cheaper than new), described as being an unused return in out of box condition with the packaging as new. When it arrived, the packaging was not quite as described - it had certainly been opened and torn slightly.

I tested it out for both monitor and print profiles and it was working fine as far as I could determine (difficult without having another one to compare with) but it is a high-precision device and I was a bit concerned that the product description did not match the actual product and that it may have been used. So I decided to make a complaint. I should say that I have been using WEX for years and have never had any cause to complain before. The one time I did get a faulty lens, they exchanged without a quibble.

So I received a reply to my email within half an hour from the sales manager,  apologising for the inaccurate description,  explaining that the device had been sold as part of a package with a monitor that had been returned, that it hadn't been used and offering a full refund or a discount of £50 if I wanted to keep it - I'm keeping it. The printer profiles I've made so far are better than the generic ones and the monitor calibration is better than what I was using so I am now a happy customer.

I just thought I would relate this here as an example of great customer service. Finally, it is also relevant to repairs and servicing as WEX have taken over Fixation, the London-based authorised Nikon and Canon repairers, respected and even beloved by many photographers and also renowned for great customer service. That bodes well for the future of Fixation.

Thank you for your responses!

The repair shop I usually goto (occasionally receiving mixed reviews itself) seemed to suggest that they won't repair Sony - and recommend not buying any of their products.

However - there'a a company in Glasgow which may help (hope to visit soon)

Despite the bad reviews about Sony, I am hoping to find an alternative to Sony's own customer care and still be able to use an A7rii

Stoke-on-Trent is a little too far for me!

Archived