Digital camera not suitable for alamy

Most contributors use interchangeable lenses, so you are taking a chance with fixed- lens cameras anyway. The Sony RX100 is one I know of, but that has only a 3.6x Zeiss zoom.

However, yours has a very long zoom and I don't know of any that are good enough.

An 18x zoom on a low-end consumer camera isn't up to it. The forum will help you in your choice, or you can do a search.

As Inch says, it's Alamy's game so Alamy's rules, but if you could post some links to 100% versions or crops we could offer opinions.. Have you been given any other failure reason- artefacts, soft and lacking in definition, etc.?

Since the demise of the unsuitable camera list, presumably because there are just too many cameras, you have to take advice from elsewhere as to the standard required.

Those contributors who do use fixed-lens cameras for Alamy have earned their spurs with DSLRs first.

As Inch says, it's Alamy's game so Alamy's rules, but if you could post some links to 100% versions or crops we could offer opinions.. Have you been given any other failure reason- artefacts, soft and lacking in definition, etc.?

Since the demise of the unsuitable camera list, presumably because there are just too many cameras, you have to take advice from elsewhere as to the standard required.

Those contributors who do use fixed-lens cameras for Alamy have earned their spurs with DSLRs first.

Or you could try CSC's now too as they are generally acceptable having larger sensors than compacts.

Allan

Or you could try CSC's now too as they are generally acceptable having larger sensors than compacts.

Allan

Should the OP know what that stands for? I don't.

New to Alamy should generally read more information already available in the forums. If searches in the forum search engine don't return the required results - more posts and valuable information may be found using Google and including "alamy forum" in the search terms (without the quotation marks).

Merry Christmas :)

Sensor size matters. The SX160IS is a point-and-shoot camera with a 1/2.3" sensor. That sensor is not on this chart, but it's slightly larger than the smallest sensor on this chart, the 1/2.5":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_sensor_format#/media/File:Sensor_sizes_overlaid_inside.svg

Most people here use cameras with APS-C or full-frame sensors, with some people successfully using newer cameras with 1" sensors, and also the intermediate sensor sizes.. 

There have been a few point-and-shoot type cameras, generally with 1/1.7" sensors, that can produce acceptable photos shot with good technique under good conditions, but they have had better lenses than yours.

Check out the forum threads about the Sony RX100 cameras if you want a smaller camera, with a 1" sensor.

Allan

Should the OP know what that stands for? I don't.

Compact system camera.

Merry Christmas to all.

Allan

I agree with what's been posted. Anything with a sensor smaller than 1/1.7" probably won't pass QC. Your profile doesn't say where you are but if you're in the States and don't want to spend a ton of money, Canon USA has a really good deal on a refurbished G16, which actually was on the old recommended camera list that Alamy took down: 

http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/powershot-g16-refurbished

If you're not in the States, maybe you can find similar deals locally. 

I also use a Sony RX100, love the photo quality, don't really like the user experience. My old Canon G10 was a far easier camera to use. It might just be because I have large hands and the Sony is just too small.

Hi 

I am new to selling photos online. I uploaded the first 4 photos that alamy requires an i have been rejected. They say my camera is not suitable but i have Canon SX 160 IS. What do you think?

Maybe this diagram of Sensor size comparisons will help you see what your up against.  Your camera has a 1/2:3 sensor which is the smallest shown in this diagram, but in reality it's much much smaller ( about the size of a lady bug ).

allsensors.jpg

Oups! ,,,Sorry Bill, I missed your post.

• 5 months later...

Alamy also rejected my photos, the season is: Digital camera not suitable for alamy, my camera is: Canon PowerShot SX530 HS,

then, do I need to buy a new camera???

if $500 is OK?

Alamy also rejected my photos, the season is: Digital camera not suitable for alamy, my camera is: Canon PowerShot SX530 HS,

then, do I need to buy a new camera???

if $500 is OK?

If Alamy says your camera is unsuitable then you are in the market for a new one.

It would have to have at least a 1" (so called) sensor, or maybe 4/3rds if it is a top quality camera. To save some hassle I would suggest you find a good secondhand model, either Canon or Nikon with an APS-c sensor and a couple of good quality lenses to suit.

Allan

There used to be a list of which cameras Alamy would accept for submissions here, but I can't seem to find it now. Did it drop out of use? 

Yes.

Allan

There used to be a list of which cameras Alamy would accept for submissions here, but I can't seem to find it now. Did it drop out of use? 

Yes.

Allan

Pity. It would probably save the question of 'is my camera good enough' popping up on the forum every other month. 

If people looked at their images at 100% as they're supposed to, they would be able to judge for themselves if the camera and lens combination is up to the task. You don't need a list of cameras, just some common sense. Same goes for various other discussions we often have about the rules or guidelines of what's acceptable to pass QC. If people learn the art of photography before trying to be a pro, they'll know what's good enough to submit and what isn't.

Geoff.

I found the old list to be useful when I was choosing a new smaller camera camera to use for when I didn't want to lug around my SLR and lenses.  Not being too familiar with all the small portable cameras models out there, I would have found it difficult to tell in advance of purchase if the image quality would be suitable at 100%. So I remember checking the list when I was searching.

I also found comments on the forum helpful, as there are discussions of the IQ of many camera models.

Maria

Generally I believe Alamy considered any camera with less than a 4/3rds sensor was inadequate. Then there always exceptions either way.

Allan

• 5 months later...

Apparently the sensor on that is 1/2.3''.

The sensor is the same size on my Panasonic Lumix FZ70.

It takes really good shots, but I would say mine get the same message as yours because of the image sensor being the same size as yours.

I would say to take photo's that they consider acceptable you would have to spend maybe at least $800 (not just $400 like I spent).

Of course you probably could post your photo's to other websites.

The Canon EOS 1300D isn't much more, about 600 dollars. It's sensor is a bit large, it is 22mm I believe. Compare that to the 1/2.3'' which would be 14.14mm.

So you can see the Canon EOS 1300D one compared to your camera and my camera has a sensor 8mm larger which is significant.

At the same time I wouldn't risk paying that and having possibly Alamy reject it also, I would go a bit larger like something like the Nikon D610 which has a sensor of 36mm.

It's a $2000 camera without the lens, there is no way Alamy would reject it.

Of course after you buy a lens you may have spend around $2800 all up and unless you are a very talented photographer that travels around and takes lots of photo's then you will probably never earn your money back off your photo's.

If you have a $500 camera and you are taking good photography, you should just put it up for free on the internet on a blog or something and put ads on the blog and you can earn money that way.

Either that or find another stock image site that isn't as strict (I am not dissing alamy BTW, the fact that they are strict probably is a good thing for buyers).

Archived