How do you keep the flow going?

I'm trying to figure out the best way to keep the flow. Do you:

1. Upload a batch, wait for QC then prep for sale

2. Upload and while waiting for QC, get the next batch worked up ignoring prepping of any that is approved and waiting in Manage Images?

What I've been doing is:

Upload. While waiting for QC, get the next upload batch developed. If I get that done before QC of the previous batch, I prep images that have already been approved. But often don't get those finished before the next upload is approved, thus adding to the "unprepped" pile.

This is what goes on Mon-Fri, so then I have the weekend to get next batch developed and uploaded, then spend the rest of the weekend getting the pile prepped for sale or at least knocked down considerably.

What is most important, number and quantity of uploads or having every single image on sale even though it means you weren't able to work on a new batch and get it uploaded?

I got caught up on prepping for sale last weekend. Then I had a three batches approved during the week. I've prepped about half so far, and hope to get the rest done over the weekend and get a new batch developed for upload on Sunday. My batches have been around 15-20 images each.

I'm on a fast track without much time to smell the roses. As a result, my zooms are 3-4 times more than they were a year ago, and slowly making more sales. Right now, I have the highest 30 day zoom total ever. That total keeps climbing. My CTR is well above the average. Total CTR and average CTR.

Do I mess with what's working or do I smell some roses along the way? Sometimes I get discouraged when I see my last 6 sales don't even add up to $100.00 together. Sales used to be routinely $80-180 each, with a few selling for more.

Betty

Hello Betty,

I dont even pay attention to the QC check waiting time. I upload as soon i can. Also i try to use the time always on the right moment. During the day if i have possibility to take images i will since i know that i will be home in the evening. So i use only the evening for preparing images. I will never prepare images on moment where i know i could be outside taking photos. I hope that soon there will come some new keyword system on Alamy where we can also keyword while sitting in the bus or wherever.

You have great portfolio. When i follow you photos i feel like i have been on the same trip like you. Just missing the smells and the warmth of the area :).

Good luck.

Mirco

Not having as many photos to upload, I really don't have a flow. When I take them, I process as soon as possible then upload. If I do have a lot of images (as I did from a trip to Toronto in September) I do as many as I can, upload, work on more, upload, etc. Don't worry about QC time. I am assuming my images will pass, and these days they pass so quickly, its hard to get another set up before the previous set has passed QC anyway.

Jill

Hello Betty,

I dont even pay attention to the QC check waiting time. I upload as soon i can. Also i try to use the time always on the right moment. During the day if i have possibility to take images i will since i know that i will be home in the evening. So i use only the evening for preparing images. I will never prepare images on moment where i know i could be outside taking photos. I hope that soon there will come some new keyword system on Alamy where we can also keyword while sitting in the bus or wherever.

You have great portfolio. When i follow you photos i feel like i have been on the same trip like you. Just missing the smells and the warmth of the area :).

Good luck.

Mirco

Mirco, thanks so much for the nice comment. I do try to offer various shots of an area, not just the usual concept shots.  Of course, whether they sell is another question, hehe.

I don't worry about QC time either, I just am asking should shooting/developing/uploading be the most important to do over processing after approval for sale.  After all, you can shoot and develop, but if they aren't on sale on Alamy, you aren't selling them.  My theory is to do all the first things, then work in the readying for sale process in manage images when you can sandwich it in.

It will be a blessing when Alamy fixes things so that we can do Manage Images on an iPad.  

Jill, I'm doing the same thing at the moment as you are with the Toronto shoot.  I'm not shooting anything new until I get my St. Croix trip done.  That may be a while, :).

Hello Betty,

Good luck.

Mirco

Mirco, thanks so much for the nice comment. I do try to offer various shots of an area, not just the usual concept shots.  Of course, whether they sell is another question, hehe.

I don't worry about QC time either, I just am asking should shooting/developing/uploading be the most important to do over processing after approval for sale.  After all, you can shoot and develop, but if they aren't on sale on Alamy, you aren't selling them.  My theory is to do all the first things, then work in the readying for sale process in manage images when you can sandwich it in.

It will be a blessing when Alamy fixes things so that we can do Manage Images on an iPad.  

Jill, I'm doing the same thing at the moment as you are with the Toronto shoot.  I'm not shooting anything new until I get my St. Croix trip done.  That may be a while, :).

He Betty,

Now i understand your question. Dont worry it is my english and not your question. I am happy that you ask it because i also have for longer time images to be keyworded but somehow i prefer to take more photos then finishing it :(.

Mirco

1. Upload a batch of images

2. While waiting for that batch to clear QC I start preparing the next batch of images

3. Once first batch cleared QC, upload next batch and start keywording first batch

I never upload a second batch in order to ensure the first batch has cleared QC first

Kumar

I just keep uploading as I go, usually in small batches.

The QC waiting time starts from the first upload, so it's best to send a small batch to get in the queue, rather than waiting a day or two to upload a lot.

I do ten at a time without any reference the what's already in the queue, though I do check regularly as I like to get them on sale as soon as possible and the email informing you of the results usually comes through a while after they have actually passed.

I've never understood the idea of waiting for one batch to clear before uploading more 'in case it fails'.

Archived