Possible new restrictions on JPEG's

If it will stop "artists" from using our images without payment then it can only be a good thing, as per the following quote from the BBC site.

" the EFF warned against putting tight restrictions on JPeg files and suggested the move could stifle creativity - hampering an artist from using a photograph in a new work, for example."

Allan

If it will stop "artists" from using our images without payment then it can only be a good thing, as per the following quote from the BBC site.

" the EFF warned against putting tight restrictions on JPeg files and suggested the move could stifle creativity - hampering an artist from using a photograph in a new work, for example."

Allan

Who's the EFF? And can we tell 'em to eff off ;)

Phil

Hmmmm. A committee, with no concrete plans, might one day seek technological solutions if and when some specifics of some new proposals have been decided . . . or not.

Don't hold your breath Prudence.

And if, as it seems by looking sort of between the lines (trying to find some actual detail and explanation), the way this "proposal" will prevent copying is to simply prevent the image being seen . . . that sort of runs counter to my ideas about getting images seen by potential buyers.

But if it actually means it will prevent copying by some sort of DRM equivalent, well, we all know how effective that is :ph34r: 

dd

Allan

Phil

If privacy and security of on-line communication is of any interest to you, you might want the EFF to hang around for a while.

dd

Allan

Phil

If privacy and security of on-line communication is of any interest to you, you might want the EFF to hang around for a while.

dd

If they're in favour of people pinching photos then they need to update their ideas before they get my support :angry:

Allan

Phil

dd

If they're in favour of people pinching photos then they need to update their ideas before they get my support :angry:

Each to their own of course, but for me the EFF's brilliant lobbying and sharing of information to help those attempting to speak without falling victim to authoritarian surveillance and censorship trumps my piddling concerns about a blogger using one of my images.

dd

It's not all or nothing, surely? You can approve of someone's stand on one matter whilst disagreeing with them about something else. Standing up for privacy doesn't require you to oppose making infringement harder.

Anyway, freedom to infringe is hardly a human right.

It's not all or nothing, surely? You can approve of someone's stand on one matter whilst considering they're wrong about something else.

Anyway, freedom to infringe is hardly a human right.

I totally, absolutely, fully agree, which is why I would never write off an organisation (or person for that matter), thereby ignoring other redeeming factors, just because I disagreed with one of their ideas. Why, this forum is chock-a-block with contributors who are perfect examples of that very principle :)

dd

Eek . . . just noticed I wrote 'trump' and 'brilliant' in the same sentence . . . sorry.

dd

In a blog, the EFF warned against putting tight restrictions on JPeg files and suggested the move could stifle creativity - hampering an artist from using a photograph in a new work, for example.

How did artists survive before the creation of the jpeg?

Jill

You might want to have a look at www.dcdirectactionnews.wordpress.com to see what sort of lengths people go to to encourage IP infringement. They seem to have it in for Getty and Picscout. Picscout act on Alamy's behalf.

Since you didn't cap the 'T' and left off the 'S,' you are forgiven, Dusty. 

"This outfit sounds like it's run by a bunch of clowns and low-class losers. We're gonna have to build a wall around 'em. Infringers are great people. They love me."

-DT

Archived