The thin "Digitally Altered" line

I have an image that I am currently keywording in Manage Images.  The shot is of Lake Huron with waves coming in. All water and sky. The original image was taken around noon on a cloudy day. Using a radial filter, I darkened the image so that it now looks like moonlight bouncing off of the water in the middle of the night. Is this digitally altered? My keywording will say "moonlight bouncing off the water" yet in reality there is no moonlight. I think it is as the adjustments are extreme. What do you think? I could post images if you require.

Jill

To me that's definitely digitally altered in that you have altered the 'truth' of what you originally took.

If you had cloned out a piece of litter floating in the water to me that's fine as not digitally altered unless it was news. My reasoning in that case is that you could have simply picked the litter up or waited to float by and got the image without it.

Michael

I'm in the digitally altered camp with this scenario as well. Partly because the intention is to "deceive" the viewer.

For my Alamy images, I stick to the nostrum, that if I want the viewer to see something which I didn't see in the scene, or if I move pixels in the image, then it is digitally altered.

I agree that it can be a thin line to tread, though.

I'm not familiar with the radial filter in PS, but it sounds like digital alteration to me.

OTOH, there are old optical filters that radically changed the "truth" of images, and the results obviously couldn't be called digitally altered.

Yes it is digitally altered, BUT, that does not mean it is a bad thing. It is your personal artistic photographic interpretation of "moonlight bouncing off the water". You may want to start off your description with the words "Photo Illustration".

We should all do more of this.

Here is a inspiring post, by a master landscape photographer, that explores this theme.

Yes it is digitally altered, BUT, that does not mean it is a bad thing. It is your personal artistic photographic interpretation of "moonlight bouncing off the water". You may want to start off your description with the words "Photo Illustration".

Here is a inspiring post, by a master landscape photographer, that explores this theme.

Very interesting read.

Jill

https://luminous-landscape.com/the-very-old-debate-of-image-manipulation/

Very interesting read.

Jill

+1

I find I align more with the quoted views of Steve Coleman. For me, Mr Palacios introduces too many of the irrelevant "arguments" about choice of lens, film etc.

The main point (agreeing with Bill above) is overcoming the apparently common reluctance to add the "photo illustration" or "digitally manipulated" tag . . . if someone is good at this and thereby produces great images, I'd rather they reveled in it, shouted it to the world with pride, instead of engagng in never-ending arguments or beating themselves or others up over whether or not it's "valid", "real" etc etc.

Or as Mr Palacios puts it: "always be honest about the post processing undertaken".

dd

Archived