Windows 10 for free, there has to be a snag??

I had problems with shutdown .I reverted back to windows 8 and re installed windows 10 few weeks later shut down problem solved though i have another problem on both laptop and desktop if i open 3 or more tabs in chrome i am unable to close any tabs and chrome becomes un responsive

Another possible bug. The image on my second monitor is not entirely stable at times, with an annoying flicker sometimes occurring near the bottom of the screen. This has only happened since moving over to Win10, but could be a coincidence I guess. :unsure:

This problem appears to have been sorted (Windows update?), but my machine crashed while trying to solve a crossword (The Independent) accessed using Chrome. Something about a driver error.

I am a!so seeing a problem in that the machine is unable to shut down properly if I forget to close Lightroom before ending a session. Had to switch off the power to force shut down.

That's a "feature" of Windows 10. In order to startup quickly it never really shuts down (unless forced or you do a "restart"). This behaviour can be overridden by disabling "fast start" in the Power menu. Instructions here. This will ensure the PC actually shuts down fully when you want it to.

I'm still playing with Windows 10 on a second PC, but also experimenting with a OS-X Yosemite on a Mac Book Pro. As a new Mac user it's a bit of a culture shock, but so far my impression is that OS-X just works, with far less phaffing about.

I just had to reinstall Windows 7 SP1 on another PC. Took 1 hour to install and then most of the rest of the day downloading and installing over 200 updates (over 1GB in total). Sure leaves a bad taste...

I had problems with shutdown .I reverted back to windows 8 and re installed windows 10 few weeks later shut down problem solved though i have another problem on both laptop and desktop if i open 3 or more tabs in chrome i am unable to close any tabs and chrome becomes un responsive

I have also had the lock up problem using Chrome, in my case associated with opening a PDF file. Have started saving keywords before opening a new window in Chrome!

Win 10 a bit of a disaster in my view. I only hope that Microsoft will sort out these various issues.

I have thrown the Windows 10 update on my Windows 7 HP Pro Book laptop this morning. Nearly made a mess of removing the HP ProtectTools Security Manager and underlying programmes manually on the way as this/these programmes are not compatible with Windows 10 and can cause severe trouble, this I read after I had declined the automatic removal during installation. Well, that programme has always irritated me, and I am not using the face or fingerprint detection anyway.

I haven't met severe trouble yet in the programme now running - but some will come I am sure.

Another issue, I am still experiencing problems with Chrome locking up so tried Windows Edge. I am having difficulty in using my second monitor with this software, it works fine with Chrome and all other programs that I regularly use. 

Win 10 ate my lunch. One of the updates started just after I had started to copy images from my SD card in the build-in drive. One image had transferred fine, but after that the card was unreadable. Really? I had just looked at all 270 or so images on the card, while it was sitting in that same drive. So the only culprit could have been the updating process. Luckily I had a voucher for CardRecoveryDeLuxe, because all my other image rescue programs came up blank. Unfortunately, the voucher was at home and I was in Toulouse, France.

Let's hope this was a single event, not to be repeated.

Otherwise I have no complaints. Other than that it is an OS for kids and seniors, which makes it hard to do serious work with it. Before you know it , we'll be needing Geniuses too to do the most normal basic stuff..

wim

edit: more typos

Win 10 ate my lunch. One of the updates started just after I had started to copy images from my SD card in the build-in drive. One image had transferred fine, but after that the card was unreadable. Really? I had just looked at all 270 or so images on the card, while it was sitting in that same drive. So the only culprit could have been the updating process. Luckily I had a voucher for CardRecoveryDeLuxe, because all my other image rescue programs came up blank. Unfortunately, the voucher was at home and I was in Toulouse, France.

Otherwise I have no complaints. Other than that it is an OS for kids and seniors, which makes it hard to do serious work with it. Before you know it , we'll be needing Geniuses too to do the most normal basic stuff..

wim

Yes, those were the days when we had control of our computers. 

Were you able to recover the image files at home - or were they "to lose"? (sorry).

wim

Yes, those were the days when we had control of our computers. 

Were you able to recover the image files at home - or were they "to lose"? (sorry).

Vouchers for CardRecoveryDeLuxe come with Sandisk cards: larger capacity - better voucher. The voucher is for 1 year use.

I tried 3 other rescue programs i had on my laptop; those did not work, however some have worked on Sandisk and other cards in the past.

CardRecoveryDeLuxe has a trial version that shows if there are images that they would be able to recover. So I tried that and saw all my images. The problem: I did not have many extra cards with me. At home I recovered all but one image. The one lost was the jpg for the RAW that was the one that was copied OK before the mishap. In the end there is quite a bit of manually sorting out and renaming to do. It was a 64G card after all, but all went well and some are online already.

wim

FYI on card recovery:  Good idea to reformat the card once you have everything off of it. 

I had used recovery software on one card (to retrieve a couple of images someone else deleted in-camera), then reused the card without reformatting. The next time I tried to retrieve from it, I believe I got all the new images, but then it reported that the card was corrupted--I think the corruption (i.e., manipulation of the card by something other than the camera) only affected the images that had been recovered earlier.

• 2 weeks later...

Pleased and relieved to report that Chrome now appears to be stable under Win 10, I have not recently re-installed Chrome so there must have been an automatic update to either that or Win that cured the problem.

I did try Edge and even IE, but issues with the use of two monitors, and cutting and pasting meant that I was more than happy to return to Chrome.  :)

Pleased and relieved to report that Chrome now appears to be stable under Win 10, I have not recently re-installed Chrome so there must have been an automatic update to either that or Win that cured the problem.

I did try Edge and even IE, but issues with the use of two monitors, and cutting and pasting meant that I was more than happy to return to Chrome.  :)

I never had one problem with Chrome, but that may stem from me going from 8.1 to 10 as opposed to 7 to 10.

Jill

I have updated a desktop computer from 8.1 to 10 - and a laptop from 7 to 10. Of course, problems will arise to be solved, and I think they are for the most part.

Like Bryan I have seen a few problems for a while - and then they seem to be solved by updates, or whatever.

In fact, we have not really much choice in the long run if we want support. (Linux perhaps).

Strangely enough I don't see many complain about this program's threat to our privacy, which I think is even more important.

As software progresses to make the user experience better, privacy is the price. Apple keeps anything you say to Siri for 2 years. Facebook can now listen in on what's going on around you if the app is running. Listening to Eminem while chatting on facebook? Don't be surprised to see ads pop up for Eminem or rap music in general.

Cortana for Windows will do the same, therefore I will not be using it. (Can't right now anyway as it isn't available in Canada yet).  When we download those apps, we quickly hit the accept button to all the permissions we give the app. This is how some of them use those permissions.

To me, this is where the line is drawn. I don't want anyone listening in on me at home, even if it does mean a better computer, tablet or phone experience. I can live without talking to my phone and running the Facebook app. I'll go to the website instead. And if they start listening in, I will simply drop Facebook altogether.

IBM has banned the use of Siri at its locations. Doesn't want Apple listening in and maybe stealing secrets.

Jill

As software progresses to make the user experience better, privacy is the price. Apple keeps anything you say to Siri for 2 years. Facebook can now listen in on what's going on around you if the app is running. Listening to Eminem while chatting on facebook? Don't be surprised to see ads pop up for Eminem or rap music in general.

Cortana for Windows will do the same, therefore I will not be using it. (Can't right now anyway as it isn't available in Canada yet).  When we download those apps, we quickly hit the accept button to all the permissions we give the app. This is how some of them use those permissions.

To me, this is where the line is drawn. I don't want anyone listening in on me at home, even if it does mean a better computer, tablet or phone experience. I can live without talking to my phone and running the Facebook app. I'll go to the website instead. And if they start listening in, I will simply drop Facebook altogether.

IBM has banned the use of Siri at its locations. Doesn't want Apple listening in and maybe stealing secrets.

Jill

Now I remember why I don't want or need a tablet or phone experience. B)

I did try Edge and even IE, but issues with the use of two monitors, and cutting and pasting meant that I was more than happy to return to Chrome. :)

Spoke too soon, it worked perfectly last night, but this evening continual problems with Chrome hanging up :(

Edit - On reflection I updated my Avast anti virus software just prior to this problem occurring, could be coincidence, but seems a possibility.

I must say I've had no trouble with win 10 at all.. I'm a heavy user, I have loads of apps, including photoshop and LR and some specialized software for my day job - everything runs perfectly. I also use Chrome and usually have more than 20 taps open at once - I'm too lazy to close stuff.

It's really been excellent. Faster and more stable. I know others have had issues.. so I guess I'm lucky.. touch wood.

You'll find if you uninstall Chrome and reinstall it, those issues should go away. 

I did try Edge and even IE, but issues with the use of two monitors, and cutting and pasting meant that I was more than happy to return to Chrome. :)

Spoke too soon, it worked perfectly last night, but this evening continual problems with Chrome hanging up :(

Edit - On reflection I updated my Avast anti virus software just prior to this problem occurring, could be coincidence, but seems a possibility.

I wouldn't bother with Avast! it's always created more problems that it's solved on all platforms.

Win 10 has it's own virus protection which i hear is pretty good, but if you must use additional software, there's only one choice - Malwarebytes. It's free, the best product in the business.. and if you want full functionality, the cost of a licence is tiny. It's also 100% stable on win 10 and uses next to no resources. 

You might call it belt and braces, but I run both Malwarebytes (paid for) and Avast (freeware), and it's normally Malwarebytes that spots the dodgy stuff. If the problems persist I'll remove Avast, but I have to say that it didn't cause me any problems under Win 7.

In days gone by, when I worked for a living, the IT folk used to look upon Malwarebytes as the Holy Grail of virus beaters.

• 1 month later...

The saga continues. Following the discussion above I uninstalled Avast antivirus, choosing to rely upon Windows Defender and Malwarebytes. This improved matters considerably with far fewer lock ups than before.

In the last few days however the problem returned big style, until the computer hung up and Win 10 decided to reinstall itself. Despite a message that the action was 100% complete, it was most certainly not. I eventually went for a hard reboot, to be rewarded with a blank screen and a whirring hard drive. At that point I chose to let it stew for a while, and was rewarded with a working copy of Windows 10 after a couple of hours.

On touching the tracker ball a little message appeared asking me to give feedback on my Windows 10 experience. @#*!**#!@, I thought and scurried across the screen to reply, but, perhaps sensing the likely tone of my response, the message disappeared before I could reach it.

Maybe this latest version of Win 10 is going to be more stable, I live in hope....

After a brief dalliance with an iMac, I bought a new gaming PC for photo work and it has W10 installed. Works like a dream and no problems with using BullGuard. No hang ups...no nothing... just works...oh isn't that what they used to say about OSX. maybe the clean install has made a difference. Really quick although maybe the SSD has some part to play :)

Generally only get new Windoze ware when we are on service pack 2 or 3.

The pro is that it's not OSX........sadly that's also the con.....

Like you know what you are talking about....see previous comment above... ;)

The saga continues. Following the discussion above I uninstalled Avast antivirus, choosing to rely upon Windows Defender and Malwarebytes. This improved matters considerably with far fewer lock ups than before.

In the last few days however the problem returned big style, until the computer hung up and Win 10 decided to reinstall itself. Despite a message that the action was 100% complete, it was most certainly not. I eventually went for a hard reboot, to be rewarded with a blank screen and a whirring hard drive. At that point I chose to let it stew for a while, and was rewarded with a working copy of Windows 10 after a couple of hours.

On touching the tracker ball a little message appeared asking me to give feedback on my Windows 10 experience. @#*!**#!@, I thought and scurried across the screen to reply, but, perhaps sensing the likely tone of my response, the message disappeared before I could reach it.

Maybe this latest version of Win 10 is going to be more stable, I live in hope....

Running two antivirus programs at the same time can cause file corruption. They will fight each other.

F.ex. this link:

http://lifehacker.com/5898756/why-you-shoulder-consider-using-more-than-one-antivirus-app

Following the discussion here I installed Malwarebytes on my computer together with Windows 10 Defender, and it found an issue Defender didn't find. I consider Malwarebytes to be a program different from a normal antivirus program, but I will watch carefully for signs of non co-operation errors.

Archived