I've long heard about FTP upload, but does anyone have any preferences with regards what client is best?

Does it depend on where you are in the world?

Are there any drawbacks or things to watch out for? Etc Etc?

Thanks

Chris

Don't use ftp for Alamy but I use FireFTP frequently for client work/outsourcing and some other agents. Has always worked well, it's free and also supports sftp which I need. Cyberduck was the other one that was recommended to me but FireFTP does the job.

I have set up my CoffeeCup FTP (and the physical cup of mocca) for Alamy News, but usually I use the old fashioned way for both news images and stock images.

Thanks Niels, what reason do you use it for Alamy News, but not news & stock images?

I have set up my CoffeeCup FTP (and the physical cup of mocca) for Alamy News, but usually I use the old fashioned way for both news images and stock images.

Thanks Niels, what reason do you use it for Alamy News, but not news & stock images?

None really, but laziness. I may find it easier just to start the browser upload. Sometimes I use FTP for news images - began one day the browser upload didn't work. I probably should use FTP for both types of upload.  :) . By the way, I got an e-mail from Alamy today that I was "switched" to FTP upload for my news images, so have a feeling that Alamy prefers us to use FTP upload for this purpose. (Both ways seem still to work, though).

I use the free version of CoffeeCup - it works excellent with very few problems once you learn the oddities every FTP programme possess.

PS I have an impression that FTP upload is a bit more stable, especially if you should like to use another window of the browser for anything else - and also better at improving and maintaining a certain upload speed.

Niels

None really, but laziness. I may find it easier just to start the browser upload. Sometimes I use FTP for news images - began one day the browser upload didn't work. I probably should use FTP for both types of upload.  :) . By the way, I got an e-mail from Alamy today that I was "switched" to FTP upload for my news images, so have a feeling that Alamy prefers us to use FTP upload for this purpose. (Both ways seem still to work, though).

I use the free version of CoffeeCup - it works excellent with very few problems once you learn the oddities every FTP programme possess.

PS I have an impression that FTP upload is a bit more stable, especially if you should like to use another window of the browser for anything else - and also better at improving and maintaining a certain upload speed.

Niels

Thanks.

I just presumed FTP was always faster and more secure, I currently don't use FTP, but thought especially if you were out and about doing live news feed, it was the way to go.

As you mention, with Alamy normal upload, it does state, (in other words) "do not change browser", so you do have to go and make a coffee or something, so stability and speed may be better I guess.

I received an e-mail from Alamy inviting me to use FTP, hence my original question

Chris

Also received the mail giving me news upload privileges with the ftp thing. Downloaded fileilla and a whole lot of trouble, loads of malware and browser changed to yahoo. It took the rest of the night to get rid of all the c**p. I was about to try winscp but comment above suggest it is posible to upload news without ftp, if so I don't need the hassle.

Also received the mail giving me news upload privileges with the ftp thing. Downloaded fileilla and a whole lot of trouble, loads of malware and browser changed to yahoo. It took the rest of the night to get rid of all the c**p. I was about to try winscp but comment above suggest it is posible to upload news without ftp, if so I don't need the hassle.

I hate these situations. Completely waste of time you think you should have avoided. An always present and growing risk when using freeware (there was a time when you didn't have to be this careful) - now you have to be watchful even when updating Java in order to avoid that silly tool bar.

Use well-known download sites and assess them by the looks of the website. (Perhaps even run an IP and domain check). If you are met by a chaos of confusing download buttons and ads get away as fast as you can. Check for small tickboxes just before a download to tick off unwanted accompanying programs, if any. Go to original sites if possible. Use your common sense and assessment for validation.

My FTP program (still CoffeeCup, but not to advertise) will soon need an update, but I hesitate, you can use all day on update tasks nowadays - it is an older edition downloaded from one of the original freeware sites I have used a lot earlier (cannot remember which one). Searches show that you now can get this from the original site now, but don't know whether it has other restrictions such as being time limited (and have to be sure it is the original site. Use your sound suspiciousness, when checking the webpage).

No problem here downloading from the first Google result for 'Filezilla' which is the project website.

FTP is useful when web upload is a bit slow.

I've had news access for years but only just got the FTP permission. They're not related.

Archived