Declining distributor sales?

Does anyone have any fancy theories about why distributor sales have been declining over the past year or so?

I'm signed up for the full global monty, yet I seldom see a distributor license these days.

This phenomenon isn't necessarily a bad thing (higher net), but inquiring minds want to know what's happening out there. B)

Maybe distributors are more selective in what they accept ?

Have distributors gone out of business, and new ones aren't being added ?

Alamy is getting more 'Global' now (Alamy has more of an overseas presence with offices/sales teams in other countries compared to a few years ago, so Alamy is serving the overseas sector direct more).

Haven't really looked at what Alamy's distributon sites are like for a long time now.

Just some probably wrong theories from me !

I signed up to a distributor in September 2014, 5 images were added immediately to their web site. I have 7 images from November that have not been added to their web site as of today. I have called twice and sent 3 emails asking them why...their reply is "we will upload them soon".

So I am wondering if they have gone out of business.

I signed up to a distributor in September 2014, 5 images were added immediately to their web site. I have 7 images from November that have not been added to their web site as of today. I have called twice and sent 3 emails asking them why...their reply is "we will upload them soon".

So I am wondering if they have gone out of business.

Who are you talking about?

It would be nice to think that Alamy is going more global -- i.e. less need for distributors. However, perhaps I spoke to soon. I just noticed an invoiced distributor sale today -- my share $5.

:( Sorry for this one... I mean, it's not encouraging...

It would be nice to think that Alamy is going more global -- i.e. less need for distributors. However, perhaps I spoke to soon. I just noticed an invoiced distributor sale today -- my share $5.

:( Sorry for this one... I mean, it's not encouraging...

Russian Fed. Hadn't seen one of those for a long time.

In Germany in particular I find that the higher price the distributor achieves makes up for my lower cut.

All my Germany sales have been rather decent. However I don't think any of them were through distributors. Not complaining...

I no longer wonder if I could have made the sale through Alamy. I couldn't bare giving away 70% of sales so withdrew completely. Agents abroad can still buy it here if they want. Sales were never plentiful anyway.

Not sure I really have enough images to show a real decline. I was having one or two distributor sales per month. Some months there were none. Other months there were three. This year I haven't had a distributor sale clear since January.

What I did notice, however, is that distributor sales don't seem to be increasing at the same rate as my Alamy sales, even though I have more images online than I did a few years ago.

Even in a digital world there's some advantage to having distributors who can deal with local taxes, have a relationship with local clients who may not be fluent in English, and understand the local economy. For example, the US Textbook market pays rather well but you wouldn't expect the same rates in the Russian Federation.

fD

Last year I left and deleted my port with two agencies ( 4300. pics portfolio ) and one distributor. Since then my revenues have increased with at least 15-20%. Of course, I don't know if that is a direct result of leaving agencies but still, strange coincidence.

Pretty vague all of this, guys (ladies).

The full global for me too.

Last year:

2014-01-01 till 2014-04-12

Regular sales: 38

Distributor sales: 6

Average of the distributor sales: $ 14.83 net

This year

2015-01-01 till 2015-04-12

Regular sales: 40

Distributor sales: 17

Average of the distributor sales: $ 19.61 net

(Go to Net revenue; set the dates and check whether the deduction and due columns have the same or different numbers.)

wim

Wim! I hate to say it but thats not good revenue at all, not even close to a mid-tier micro. You have a port of 2000 images!  should be lots and lots more.Then again these RM/RF agencies ( bar one) have sort of stopped in their tracks, not up to date with the new trendy style of agencies.

Archived