It looks gorgeous, but...

The other day I encountered a fellow TOG using a Fuji CSC. We compared notes. He had this lovely camera, a veritable jewel, small in size and bristling with dials reminiscent of my much loved Pentax MX.  There was even an aperture ring on the new zoom lens.  I lusted after that Fuji camera.

However, on reflection, I realised that, with fading eyesight and a need to use reading glasses, I would probably be unable to read the print on those dials without the assistance of my specs. My Sony NEX 6 has dioptre correction so, for the most part, I can use that camera without the assistance of glasses, reading the settings within the EVF and adjusting using the menus. My distance sight is still OK, so I don't normally wear specs when out and about. I presume, but don't know, that the Fuji would also allow me to adjust the settings on all of those dials without taking my eye from the viewfinder, but what then is the use to me of the external controls?

Still happy with the NEX 6 then, but waiting patiently for the a7000, and more particularly, some new lenses, to show their heads. I wonder if the Fuji lenses would work with the NEX?

You can also see them in the viewfinder of the Fujis. The X-T1 has a huge evf with dioptre correction, as big or bigger than a FF optical. I love mine.

With time the main controls become second nature so you hardly need to look at them. I Find it fine but I do use varifocals.

You can also see them in the viewfinder of the Fujis. The X-T1 has a huge evf with dioptre correction, as big or bigger than a FF optical. I love mine.

With time the main controls become second nature so you hardly need to look at them. I Find it fine but I do use varifocals.

I'm lucky in that although I use varifocals I can manage my EOS 6D without. A combination of VF information and the large LCD screen sorts it out.

It is gorgeous Bryan and I hardly use anything else these days.  I can see the markings both with and without my varifocals so they are not a problem. The camera is a joy to use.

Pearl

The lenses won't work on any other camera as far as I'm aware. Something to do with the Aperture control. You can turn the aperture dial on the lens but other cameras cannot read / understand the commands from the lens. It could be a bit like a fly by wire type of system controlling the aperture. Someone with more tech knowledge on these things maybe able to explain it better. 

As already mentioned, all the settings can be seen on the extra large EVF.... just pick and choose which ones to display in the EVF. That said, you have to go with what you feel comfortable with because that camera will always be the best one for you.

I used to be something of a dial freak, but I seem to be over it now and have adapted well to buttons, wheels, and menus. The shooting mode dial on the NEX-6 does come in handy, though. Haven't overheard any new a7000 gossip lately, but I'm not planning on changing cameras in the near future anyway.

I have astigmatism, and also need correction to read. The only time I put the bifocals on is to watch certain sports. Makes the picture crisper. I don't need them to drive. But I do have my half glasses to read.

I go out all the time with my Fuji and never have to put the readers on. No problems at all. The dials are easily readable, and I can see the settings inside with eye to viewfinder, no prob.

+1 as I use varifocals too. X-T1 is no problem for me.

I too need specs to read and for close work but surprisingly I do not need my specs to see the Fuji dial markings when out and about.

Allan

Varifocals were fine until I switched to contact lenses. Great, for a number of reasons. But, like Bryan I need readers to see sybols and text within a certain distance. Bit like the closest focusing range on my lenses. Everything is blurred close to then sharpens with distance. With specs I could just lift them up and bring the whatever I needed to see nearer my eyes. Thankfully, I don't have the OP's gas* problem. Because of funds, and the inherent threat of violence from the other half, if I did.

*Gear Aquisition Syndrome. :_P

Krisken

I have had very bad eyesight all my life and getting worse. I wear varifocals and also a rigid contact lens to partially correct my deteriorating corneas and severe keratoconus. (I'm waiting for a new cornea but sadly someone has to pass away for me to have one). My work is split between using the 10" x 8" where I find viewing easy, (focus using both eyes of course!) and there are no dials, and my various Leica M's, film and digital. I find the rangefinders easy for me (but I have been using Leicas for over fifty years) and the controls are ultra simple, one shutter speed dial and a clear aperture ring. 

Archived