Anything in the D800 family is a major upgrade over the D700 which is a fantastic camera but limited by the size of the files it produces by today's standards. If you already have Nikon-compatible lenses, can afford a D810 and are not worried by its size (similar to the D700) then don't even think twice.

I never had a QC failure while shooting with Nikons (D100> D200> D70s> D60> D90> D700). I've had several with my various Sony NEXs and the RX10.

But I do not blame the mirrorless Sonys for my problems with QC. I attribute my tech woes to adjustment problems with the changeover.  Also, I feel 12MPs is fine for Alamy and stock in general, especially when you get that fabulous noise control with the D700. Less weight was my reason for the change, too. 

Also, I feel 12MPs is fine for Alamy and stock in general, especially when you get that fabulous noise control with the D700. Lighter weight was my reason for the change, too. 

That is true but the larger image gives a lot more room for cropping which is a real plus at times. 36MP is not necessary for that of course but it doesn't do any harm although more care with focusing and depth of field control is needed. The noise control is exceptional as well in the D800 series, although a bit more noticeable as the ISO goes up due presumably to the larger image size.

I am currently using a D800 or D700s 98% of the time.  They are

different cameras with different sensors.  The 700 is great shooting

moving subjects (I do have a MB-D10 battery pack to get 7 FPS) 

I will be adding another D800, In my opinion it is the best camera

NIKON has produced since the F.

Also if upload speed is an issue I use D700s because of the smaller

RAW file size.

The reason I switched from Canon (8 year old 1Ds2) to Nikon D800 was it's ability to open up shadows way beyond what any Canon sensor seems able to do. It suits my shooting style (natural light, don't "ettr") and for that alone has been a real boon. However, needs care to avoid image blur/shake. Occasionally the huge files are an annoyance, at other times it's great to be able to crop a lot. If I were looking today I'd see if the D750 fitted the bill, but I'm expecting the D800 to last me as long as the 1Ds2 did.

The reason I switched from Canon (8 year old 1Ds2) to Nikon D800 was it's ability to open up shadows way beyond what any Canon sensor seems able to do. It suits my shooting style (natural light, don't "ettr") and for that alone has been a real boon. However, needs care to avoid image blur/shake. Occasionally the huge files are an annoyance, at other times it's great to be able to crop a lot. If I were looking today I'd see if the D750 fitted the bill, but I'm expecting the D800 to last me as long as the 1Ds2 did.

The D810 has a small raw file option (9MP I think). The D800 series camera also have excellent build quality - not too heavy but very sturdy. Definitely the best I've ever owned by far and I did love that D700 which also had that incredible dynamic range.

The Sony A&s and A7II tempt me because I like to shoot available light in dark closets...Ok,I kid...But the Sony experiences I've had in the past year have me holding out for hopefully something smaller and amazing from Nikon of which I switched back to from Canon.

Come summer I may buy the Nikon D750 even though I'd prefer  something lighter and smaller.

L

I have some major Fortune 500 companies that need bigger sizes. Advertising use,Billboards,background uses for display,posters,etc.

Had the D700,great camera but need more MP.

Also,one of my agents demands higher size as well and smaller sizes will be rejected.

L

Still shoot with my trusty old D700 and for the love of God, I can't think of any reason why I should upgrade.

Cheers,

Philippe :P

Greatly improved image quality, even more so without the AA filter, for one thing. You don't know what you're missing.

The Sony A&s and A7II tempt me because I like to shoot available light in dark closets...Ok,I kid...But the Sony experiences I've had in the past year have me holding out for hopefully something smaller and amazing from Nikon of which I switched back to from Canon.

Come summer I may buy the Nikon D750 even though I'd prefer  something lighter and smaller.

L

The 750 is only 750 grams.

It's funny that this should crop up. I'm actually thinking about switching from Canon to Nikon. Own a 5D Mark III, and 1D Mark IV, and to be honest I fail to see what the fuss is about. The 5D3 is clearly better than the 1DIV for IQ, but the files tend to fall apart quite quickly as I've noticed with shadow recovery resolving detail. The D810 is looking promising with a 14-24 2.8 

It's funny that this should crop up. I'm actually thinking about switching from Canon to Nikon. Own a 5D Mark III, and 1D Mark IV, and to be honest I fail to see what the fuss is about. The 5D3 is clearly better than the 1DIV for IQ, but the files tend to fall apart quite quickly as I've noticed with shadow recovery resolving detail. The D810 is looking promising with a 14-24 2.8 

Do you really need something that wide? I would recommend prime lenses if you want to get the best out of the D810 - you would get two decent wideangle primes for the price of that zoom.

Do you really need something that wide? I would recommend prime lenses if you want to get the best out of the D810 - you would get two decent wideangle primes for the price of that zoom.

Open to suggestion to be fair. I'm done with carrying two bodies and a 24-105 and 70-200 2.8 about with me everywhere I go. One camera, one lens solution is what I'm looking for. In a serious recoil from sports/news and returning to enjoyment of just shooting. A wee change of manufacturer seems like a nice wee fresh start. In most of the comparisons I've looked at the Nikon 800 series just looks more detailed and sharper than the 5d3. I have no interest in the 5Dr series at all, and it's this blindness of Canon that's having me loose faith in their take on the market. 

Nikon really stands out for image quality - dynamic range - ability to capture highlight and shadow detail is truly amazing. You might want to consider the D750 if you are thinking more general purpose photography - I've not tried one but reviews are excellent and it has a decent 24MP. As a general purpose zoom, the Tamron 24-70 looks very good. It is way cheaper than the Nikkor and apparently better.

Being a D700 user I would also give another vote to the D750 for all the reasons stated by Colin. Before you dive towards the D800, download a few NEF files and have a play with them in your software. The size of the files could put a strain on your pc and potentially slow down your workflow.

Regards

Craig

I can add a vote for the Nikon D750. I came to it from the D300 and it's fabulous. High ISO is incredible, dynamic range likewise, it's light, fast and easy to use. The 24MP is plenty. It's my dream camera, saving up now for the 20mm f1.8.

Col

Being a D700 user I would also give another vote to the D750 for all the reasons stated by Colin. Before you dive towards the D800, download a few NEF files and have a play with them in your software. The size of the files could put a strain on your pc and potentially slow down your workflow.

Regards

Craig

I plumped for the D610 (pre 750) as against the 800 due to the smaller file sizes. Would I gain much from a switch now to the 750. I'm thinking I should just content myself but you know what it's like. lol :)

L

Yes,but Nikon lenses for full frame are heavy. I've already owned them!

L

L

Yes,but Nikon lenses for full frame are heavy. I've already owned them!

L

Depends on the lens and what you are doing. I do mostly landscapes and I've been using the 2.8 24D and 1.4D 50 primes which are certainly not heavy. But good zooms and telephotos are going to be quite a bit more weighty of course.

Linda and all,

I like heavy lenses, they work day in day out.  Been using a NIKKOR 80-200 2.8 since the early 90's and it

is a heavy and great lens.  Speaking of lenses I tried to find the old thread about the Tokina 16-28 f2.8 and

never did.  I've now been using mine on both D800's and 700's for a while and I love the lens.  Sharp, sharp

Sharp across the frame at 4.5 and below and focus is smooth.  Bought mine new for less than

$600 USD, but it is a bit heavy....

Linda and all,

I like heavy lenses, they work day in day out.  Been using a NIKKOR 80-200 2.8 since the early 90's and it

is a heavy and great lens.  Speaking of lenses I tried to find the old thread about the Tokina 16-28 f2.8 and

never did.  I've now been using mine on both D800's and 700's for a while and I love the lens.  Sharp, sharp

Sharp across the frame at 4.5 and below and focus is smooth.  Bought mine new for less than

$600 USD, but it is a bit heavy....

I can't do heavy anymore! I am still recovering from an arm/shoulder injury from 2013. I never liked heavy anyway because I travel and need to bring back ups and my iPad too.

L

Archived