Alamy blog - Stressing about AlamyRank? Don’t!

Alamy

We have the largest collection of stock images in the world so it’s not surprising people wonder how we order over 50 million of them within our search results. We use an algorithm based on a lot of things. One factor is AlamyRank, an algorithm that has a say in the weighting of images in the sort order from each contributor.

Read more...

Our job to shoot, their job to sell.... 

I don't understand all the stressing and " need to know" ... the fact is their search system is their USP / advantage / technology call it what you will and as that is the case...  why would they tell us how the ranking is calculated... everyone could copy it...

They tell us how best to add keywords for their system..... thats not a secret..... 

They tell use what their clients are looking for ... thats not a secret...

Thats all you need to know from Alamy... the rest is up to you....

I don't understand all the stressing and " need to know" ... the fact is their search system is their USP / advantage / technology call it what you will and as that is the case...  why would they tell us how the ranking is calculated... everyone could copy it...

They tell us how best to add keywords for their system..... thats not a secret..... 

+1 Julie!

Better things to worry about!

posted on the other thread also :

I agree with most of that, my point is they could nip the conversations in the bud if they are pointless, instead of letting contributors opinionate over something, but Alamy seldom give any input to the conversations in the forum here.

Quote "They tell us how best to add keywords for their system..... thats not a secret...."

Really? I find the Alamy system of keywording downright diabolical. It adds much unnecessary time to my workflow. Having keyworded the images in Lightroom, I then have to sort them out into three seperate layers once they hit Alamy.

There are good things about Alamy but the keywording side needs an almighty kick up the backside!!!

Fair enough, you do have the control. That is one of the good sides of things. But essentially having to do the same job twice is incredibly irrittating when you have precious little time as it is.

It's your choice to do that. Not everyone keywords in LR. I don't.

If you never  submit work to other libraries, your own site or to editors that is fine-ish. In all those cases you would have to keyword again if you don't do it upfront. Like Jools I do it off line, up front; it means I have a keyworded archive and all images have an embedded copyright notice & contact details so I don't have to do it again when I use my images for purposes other than Alamy. Everybody else but Alamy uses the IPTC standard.

I agree with most of that, my point is they could nip the conversations in the bud if they are pointless, instead of letting contributors opinionate over something, but Alamy seldom give any input to the conversations in the forum here.

Seriously, can you imagine the reaction if Alamy "nipped in the bud" discussions it thought were "pointless"? And that's not taking into account the severely limited list of thread-topics we'd end up with ;)

I'm totally with Julie on this, my take is that there are many, many here who are looking to blame Alamy for their own lack of success. We as much "need" to know AlamyRank's workings as we need to know Getty's or Corbis'--we know what we know, the rest is up to us. If you choose to stress over that, fine that's your choice, but that's not Alamy's fault, and neither, imo, shoud Alamy seek to salve that stress.

dd

Fair enough, you do have the control. That is one of the good sides of things. But essentially having to do the same job twice is incredibly irrittating when you have precious little time as it is.

It's your choice to do that. Not everyone keywords in LR. I don't.

Well, as the images here are non-exclusive they are sent elsewhere too. That means that no matter way I cut the cake I would have to do thinngs twice.

You may have missed it, but we've given feedback many times over the years on this forum and the old one and as DD said, it wouldn't be much of a discussion forum if we didn't allow discussion.

Archived